PDA

View Full Version : best exhaust for ltr 450?

mineralgrey01gt
03-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Im picking up a 2007 monday from a friend, bike is in great shape and the first thing i want to do is add an exhaust. Im new to the ltr's so im curious as to what the best sounding and performing exhaust there is. I know Yoshimura is a nice one, HMF, and maybe curtis sparks? Also for my area it can be as loud as id like so that doesnt affect the decision any. In fact louder the better for the trails I ride on

coryatver
03-12-2011, 05:52 AM
I would get the exhuast of whatever tuner you are going to get. Yoshi and motoworks seem to have it figured out really good.

mineralgrey01gt
03-12-2011, 05:56 AM
he may have said he has the yoshimura tuner already. Id have to ask again. Does the yoshi sound good?

blholtz
03-12-2011, 06:11 AM
I have the Yosh pipe and the DASA and I prefer the DASA.

Better power and sound.

mineralgrey01gt
03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
So out of all the brands you believe the DASA is one of the better ones? What about the HMF pipes? I want something that has great power but when I go WOT it screams

bigbad400
03-13-2011, 12:31 AM
sparks all the way. love the power. love the sound. dasa is a great pipe... imo the yoshi is a joke of a pipe, hmf is way better even. :o

mineralgrey01gt
03-13-2011, 07:30 AM
thanks for the suggestion. Ill look into sparks also. Any certain sparks pipe or is there just one?

bigbad400
03-13-2011, 08:43 AM
there is the regular race pipe and there is the x6 big core. its a more wide open pipe for motor mods and real hp builds. i just got mine cus i got it for 275 shipped from sparks racing... it was a refurbished one, had a cracked weld they ground off and rewelded... i couldnt tell. lol it looked like a bran new pipe:D

dasa is alot like the big core. full on race pipe. made for big hp builds but works awesome on stock or light built motors too.

mineralgrey01gt
03-13-2011, 10:24 AM
thanks for the info. Ill go get some pricing now. Does a header affect these any or are they pointless? I know on my 400ex I had they really didnt do much to the bike.

candidate zero
03-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
sparks all the way. love the power. love the sound. dasa is a great pipe... imo the yoshi is a joke of a pipe, hmf is way better even. :o

What do you base the Yosh being a joke on?

There have been plenty of dyno runs and shootouts on other forums. The Dasa, Yosh, HMF, and Rossier all put down very good numbers, close to each other. Newer pipes that are putting down good numbers would be the Moto-Xperts and Terry Design Concepts.

For choosing which one you like, pick the one that looks and sounds the best to you, and probably what you can get a better deal on. They all perform well.

candidate zero
03-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
thanks for the info. Ill go get some pricing now. Does a header affect these any or are they pointless? I know on my 400ex I had they really didnt do much to the bike.

The header definitely effects these. If you're low on funds, the stock '08 + exhaust much better then the older ones, and you can usually find them dirt cheap when someone upgrades.

mineralgrey01gt
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
funds will not be a problem. Im leaning towards DASA right now, seems like from vids (which i know do not do these exhaust justice) it fits me the best.

candidate zero
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
You'll be happy with the Dasa. Just keep up with the packing and it's an awesome exhaust.

kookennay
03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I GOT AN 06 WITH YOSHI SLIP ON IF I CHANGE THE HEAD PIPE WILL I HAVE TO REPROGRAM. I THINK I HAVE A YOSH PROGRAMMER NOW THAT PREVIOUS OWNER PUT ON, BUT IF I WAS TO LOOK FOR IT ON THE BIKE I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I WOULD BE LOOKING FOR.

bigbad400
03-14-2011, 05:12 PM
i have had yoshi and it fell apart. it was a horrible sound and a weak performance gain... kinda reminded me of fmf... clatery sounding... maybe it was just cus it was falling apart... still junk to say the least... got to remember these pipe shootouts are dont with bran new pipes.... get some hr on it and then see, thats why we ask people instead of taking some companies word... i have ran an hmf a yoshi a motoworks a tdc, i rode on a ltr with dasa... the best i have seen are dasa sparks and hmf... in that order. from my seat of the pants experience and sound quality... sparks has yet to give me any problems, its very solidly built.

panici33
03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Terry Design Concepts!!! They have a deal going on right now $425.

candidate zero
03-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
i have had yoshi and it fell apart. it was a horrible sound and a weak performance gain... kinda reminded me of fmf... clatery sounding... maybe it was just cus it was falling apart... still junk to say the least... got to remember these pipe shootouts are dont with bran new pipes.... get some hr on it and then see, thats why we ask people instead of taking some companies word... i have ran an hmf a yoshi a motoworks a tdc, i rode on a ltr with dasa... the best i have seen are dasa sparks and hmf... in that order. from my seat of the pants experience and sound quality... sparks has yet to give me any problems, its very solidly built.

The headpipe on my HMF cracked, I just bought a used Yosh off my buddy to replace it, he's had no problems with it, and I have plenty of friends running the Yosh, definitely can't say it's junk from my experience.

nkillian9
03-14-2011, 10:15 PM
the new yoshs are good pipes the old ones with the springs used to hold the head pipe to the cylinder are pretty much junk, but they have changed that,

bigbad400
03-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by nkillian9
the new yoshs are good pipes the old ones with the springs used to hold the head pipe to the cylinder are pretty much junk, but they have changed that,

it was a newer style yoshi. and the hmf i had was only a slipon and i actually only had it about 6 months so not much abuse. but nice sound and nice gain for a slipon. i was at "bulls gap" in michigan and was drag racing up a 75 ft face of a hill... about my third race i was up against a real built up big bore ltr with a yoshi... he spanked me up the hill but he was about 30' from the top and his can fell off, it broke at the weld and when he hit a bump both the mounts twisted and snapped off... thats not what i want to happen to my 500$ pipe. and this also was the new yoshi:(

nkillian9
03-15-2011, 07:54 AM
well im not gonna argue with u since u think u know so much im just stating that the new ones aint a bad pipe, i myself run the old one and it is junk busted the can twice had it rewelded and the headpipe being springmounted rattles a lil. yes its a dissapointment considering mine is an 800 titanium pipe. But i have a friend with the new head pipe and new can and its put thru torture over and over again with no problems

nkillian9
03-15-2011, 07:55 AM
my biggest dissappointment with a yosh is the riveted can same with hmf and many more, pita to repack id buy something with a bolted can much nicer, if u ride as much and as hard as we do youll be changing out the packing every couple months

mineralgrey01gt
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
thanks for the advice, ill only ride once a week maybe becuase of my schedule. Not really hard riding or anything. I pick it up Friday so im anxious to get to putting some money into it

nkillian9
03-16-2011, 09:58 PM
ah money and quads its a never ending money pit

bens250ex
03-19-2011, 05:26 PM
i got a brand new full duncan pipe off of ebay for 300 shipped....he had a couple more last time i checked the other day

panici33
03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Duncan makes a great pipe and for $300 that's a steal. I had one on my Z400 and YFZ450

bens250ex
03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
heres the link, i emailed them and ended up getting a black canister (which is an upgrade) shipped for 300... 330 is the best they could do on the regular one in the pic..

mineralgrey01gt
03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
well I have the bike now. I decided to go with DASA for now. I havent heard anything bad about the pipes or any of them really but its a personal preference. I ordered a blingstar victory bumper, going to order a few things a week from blingstar for it. I always liked their products. All polished to put some shine on this thing.

madskrillz2
03-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by nkillian9
my biggest dissappointment with a yosh is the riveted can same with hmf and many more, pita to repack id buy something with a bolted can much nicer, if u ride as much and as hard as we do youll be changing out the packing every couple months

LOL every couple months? You're doing something wrong

nkillian9
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
let me know wut im doing wrong then i thougth packing a pipe was them same in all pipes ive been ridng for more than 15 yrs and i go thru packing like crazy on my pipe about every 30 hours on my yosh there is hardly any packing left in the pipe, ive used yosh stock packing, moose pillow packing and 2 different types of fmf packing and competition packing, the last time i packed my pipe i put some stanless steel screen (like a window screen but made to screen granite granules so real tough stuff)around the baffle and put packing around it, hoping to get three months out of it lol