PDA

View Full Version : cuts out in the air

ltrnutz43
03-11-2011, 08:23 PM
it starts fine, runs fine, when jumping it will bog for a secong in the air
Not runnin stock fuel filter, running and inline and it has been replaced, blew out injector twice so far, cleaned screen in fuel pump several times, had some trash in the fuel, dont know where it came from, got it good and clean and it is still doing it, please help before it puts me in the dirt!

Jim417mx
03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
usually its the stock fuel filter from what I have heard, but obviously If you dont have one and checked your aftermarket one,

I would check the tip over sensor next, It's a sensor with a pendulum(<-- spell check?) It works like a kids swingset. The thing sways back and forth and when the quad tips over the pendulum turns upside down and kills the motor, maybe yours is worn out and loose inside and swinging up too far when you jump and making the engine stop temporarily until the pendulum returns back to the original spot. People take then apart and put RTV sealant in there so the pendulum cannot flip upside down, therefore, no more problems.

Dont quote me 100% on that though, fuel injected quads are a P.I.T.A to diagnose, hope I can help though, I've been through my quad with every problem possible, so i have a little bit of knowledge up there.

Limited Z_400
03-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Jim417mx
usually its the stock fuel filter from what I have heard, but obviously If you dont have one and checked your aftermarket one,

I would check the tip over sensor next, It's a sensor with a pendulum(<-- spell check?) It works like a kids swingset. The thing sways back and forth and when the quad tips over the pendulum turns upside down and kills the motor, maybe yours is worn out and loose inside and swinging up too far when you jump and making the engine stop temporarily until the pendulum returns back to the original spot. People take then apart and put RTV sealant in there so the pendulum cannot flip upside down, therefore, no more problems.

Dont quote me 100% on that though, fuel injected quads are a P.I.T.A to diagnose, hope I can help though, I've been through my quad with every problem possible, so i have a little bit of knowledge up there.
Fuel injection is the way to go and with proper maintenance they are very reliable.Proper troubleshooting will get to the root of the problem quickly. Do yourself a favour & purchase a service manual. Check past threads on troubleshooting. Hope this helps.

ltrnutz43
03-31-2011, 06:08 PM
where is the "tip over sensor" at?

bigbad400
04-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Fuel injection is the way to go and with proper maintenance they are very reliable.Proper troubleshooting will get to the root of the problem quickly. Do yourself a favour & purchase a service manual. Check past threads on troubleshooting. Hope this helps.:D

very well put

devious510
04-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I have heard alot of people saying its a bad connection at the weatherpack plug closest to key. Ive had trouble with mine and i just taped plugs together and ziptied to frame

b350
04-07-2011, 02:54 AM
mine did the same thing it turned out to be a lose wire in the key switch . start it and wiggle the wires coming out of the key switch to see if the quad cuts out

kyleschonert
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
The bad thing about FI on these quads is that when things start to go, which they will, it is VERY expensive to repair. And it is very hard to trouble shoot what is the problem is.

Example, this past weekend I went out for Saturday morning Practice and the bike was running like crap. Would start cutting out and backfiring over 9000rpms. Changed maps, nothing.

So I then pulled the fuel tank cleaned it, changed fuel filter, and cleaned throttle body and injector and connections.

It then ran fine. Yes I could have checked one at a time to diagnose it but didn't have the time to do that. For all I know I wasted $40 on a fuel filter that could have been fine.

Don't get me wrong, I like the EFI on these things.....When it is working.

But I have had countless times when it has given me fits causing me to DNF or lose a couple positions.

And I do have proper maintenance. Constantly clean the throttle body and connections. Replace fuel filter often, and filter my fuel from the pump to the carry tank and the carry tank to the fuel tank.

nkillian9
04-07-2011, 11:39 PM
had mine a yr and a half put 4 hours a week on it at least, never had a problem out of fuel system, so i cant complain, i think letting one sit is about the worst thing u can do to one

snafu_1818
04-09-2011, 08:02 PM
mine was doing the same thing after i put high compression piston and port and polish and we put an in line filter in it. we had to switch to a 5/16 line instead of the stock line and now it runs perfect.

ltrnutz43
05-01-2011, 05:56 AM
I figured it out last night, it started it again and I unhooked the kill switch and it stopped, the kill switch was shorting out somehow , once I unhooked it she ran great! Problem solved!