PDA

View Full Version : XC Racing Quad Choices or polularity

quadfmx
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I was just wanting some feedback on how things have taken a swing,
I know a few years back Honda 450R was extremely popular of course the Yamaha yfz r and X
but past that whats been picking up the KTM, Can am etc

It just seems the honda has taken a back seat, and yes i know it needed up grades,
and yes the Suzuki.
I would say its increased the most from what i seen but i e heard can am was making some good improvements on getting racers on their quads but it could have been more MX based,
not looking for brand war, I havent been to races in too long to walk the pits and see,
Would some one mind filling me in,

I also heard several people were going back to the old yfx the one before the R and X, dont know its its true but it was very fast guys,
Just looking for some info here guys all is greatly appreciated

from what it was selling id say the ltr has jumped up the most but with all the MX wins and borich doing his thing on it, that is kind of expected but from what i heard the KTM was . is a very solid bike, i know lots of the first can am 450s were having probs, but if they get those performing like their utilities like the Outlander 800 or whatever it is now i know they could make a killer sport quad,
looking for opinions or if you've changed from one to another , id like to hear that, reasons too would be great on why you changed

fastredrider44
03-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Standard YFZ and 450R are proven in the woods. The others make great bikes too if you know what to do to them.

coryatver
03-12-2011, 05:22 AM
People who are not getting a free ride choose a honda or the old yfz. They are the cheapest most reliable and everyone knows how to set them up.

Can am and ktm have factory teams and there pretty much the only ones that run them.

Can ams unless you get every mod that bcs and motoworks have for it to make it somewhat reliable won't finish a 2 hr XC race let alone a whole season

KTMs are good quads but the cost for parts and up keep to race one is expensive and access to getting parts is a lot harder than yam/hon. The engine also has some oil pressure issues that causes them to over heat, the rear suspension isn't the greatest with a no link, the front end handles pretty bad unless you get an after market steering flag

The Suzuki is a good bike but you got to spend the money to narrow it up new a-arms, axle, and shocks and all the efi electronic crap you need to buy to tune it is expensive. Also doesn't start as fast as the non EFI bikes.

The new version yfz r/x needs lots a money sunk into it to get the setup right for xc racing. The stock front end is designed wrong makes it handle bad and also you got to buy the efi programmer to tune it. Also becuase of the EFI it will not start as fast as the old yfz or honda. Other than that it seems like a decent bike.

The Kawasaki is the last choice you would want the whole suspension and chassis is a bad design for xc racing and the motor is way underpowered.

Polaris don't see them at the races they can't finish a race.

Pretty much any quad can be turned into a awesome xc racer if you know how to set it up the honda and yamaha are the easiest, cheapest and most reliable. Soon though it may be hard to find one.

I am hoping honda comes out with a new one and can am comes out with there latest and a narrow suzuki and yamaha improves all the problem areas on there new bike.

jb500ex
03-12-2011, 07:15 AM
suzuki and its not expensive like some claim. all you need is a z400 rear hubs and 4+1 front rims and its at the same width as most other bikes with aftermarket arms. plus you dont need to do anything motor wise and it will have more power then the others with just a cherry bomb.

xc515
03-13-2011, 08:03 AM
I have had a kaw for 3 years and it has treated me very well. I ride and race xc.

KFX450Rrider490
03-13-2011, 08:19 AM
that makes 2 of us, ive also been very happy with my kfx!

in all reality tho i would go around to the dealers and see what you think fits you the best ergonomics wise and go with it. some quads realy do have the advantages, aftermarket, but you would be happy with anyone of the current crop.