PDA

View Full Version : Axle bearings?

BenHonda400ex
03-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Well guess what. Someone rode my Four-Wheeler today and I guess totally tore up the all the bearing in the axle's.. How hard is it to replace all of the bearings inside?

CJM
03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Remove axle, a few other parts and the carrier flops right out. Pretty much gotta loosen chain, remove brake caliper and stay, undo the sprocket, remove the axle nut (really could use the RMATV wrenches) but a big pair of channel locks and a wrench or another channel locks or pipe wrench works, then remove the circlip, then the retaining ring, etc. Its not hard, just takes a bit. This explains it with pics:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350

I cut mine out using a dremel (have a LSR dual row) and it was not only much harder to get the bearings out, I nicked the carrier slightly (filled and epoxied) and it was a pain to get them in there. Friend of mind cut his out and he has a the stock setup, still wasnt a walk in the park.

Buy the puller RMATV sells and find a socket the correct size to tap them in with. Put the bearings in the freezer and make sure they are packed well and get cold, then wait an hour and go and heat the carrier up with propane torch. get the bearings, maybe heat it again a bit and they should drop right in.

BenHonda400ex
03-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Sweet thank's for the advise. No one is going to be touching my Four-Wheeler in a long time except me. So I think I know what to do, remove chain, take out rear brake disk, do I have to take out the whole axle to put in the bearing? How many are there?

CJM
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
yea, gotta remove everything pretty much. I also slathered wheel bearing grease all over everything to make sure its all lubed and happy.

There are 2 bearings, you can buy the bearings you need from anywhere that sells them, pivot works is what I like to use. They do cost about 50 dollars but come with new O rings and seals.

What you could do is if you can get the bearing out intact you can read the numbers off the bearing and take it to any real parts store like napa or something and they can get you the bearing-the things are only like 10 buck! If you go to www.rockauto.com and type in the numbers they have it too. Finding the seals is harder-but if you call pivot works they may have them for sale separate.

I know next time I do mine this is how Im doing it as I spent almost as much as a new carrier is on just bearings and seals from lonestar.

Def get the puller tool, makes life sooo much easier. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do;jsessionid=F1C02CD7EDD40932050AEA 9647A21966.westring1?navType=type&vehicleId=625&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webTypeId=140&webCatId=22&stockId=229276&prodFamilyId=27816

426kidz
03-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I would just upgrade to a lonestar or rad bearing carrier!!! ebay for 129.00 shipped! and last longer:)