PDA

View Full Version : W/P Bushings

Coley'sdad#8
03-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Got tired of slinging off and grinding up water pump rubbers, talked to a few about what they were using but i wanted to try to keep the weight down (rotating mass). Custom grind screws to bottom out against the rotor leaving a small gap to let the bushing move and rotate red loctite them in with a copper washer behind the nylon bushing.
(3) m6x30 screws 1.00
(3) nylon bushings 1/2x.257x1/2 (Lowe's 136984) 1.50
(3 copper washers .90

thequadfather+2
03-11-2011, 09:43 AM
looking good Chris. We had the same issue and we used 3.5 rollers....perfect fit and so far so good. The nylon bushings probably weigh a little less...how did you get them drilled and cut the way you needed?

BTW nice looking cylinder...:D

Coley'sdad#8
03-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I was going to custom spin something on the ole lathe but I ran across these @ Lowe's in the nut and bolt isle in the little slide out drawers size and part # in the first post. Yeah Bruce the 3.5 rollers I am sure will work great also, like you said just trying to keep weight down.

don bassani
03-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Looks good. It will even work when it is loose .I use a very similar set up and have had my nylon bushings wear down to almost nothing and it still held together better than stock rubbers.

Coley'sdad#8
03-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah Don, I figured the nylon would wear riding on the threaded shaft after a while so I went ahead and bought some extras and put in the trailer extra 3$ WOW:rolleyes:
Here's the part I like:
the stock studs with the backing washer and the rubber weight is at 9.9grams per stud.
some people are using a socket head bolt, a jamb nut and a 3.5 roller weight and that weight is 14grams each stud.
my setup weight is 8.5 grams per stud.

hwf-racing
03-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Sweet setup!!! Why use the copper washer ? wouldn't you have the same outcome just butting up to fly wheel or did you see a problem? Just asking...Its a great setup!!!!

Coley'sdad#8
03-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Hwf,
look at the bushing in the top of the pic, see how it rides over a hole in the adapter plate? I didn't want the nylon bushing to be spinning over that hole and have the sharp edge of the hole shave or chatter the edge of the bushing. Could probably get away without using the washer if I kept en eye on it more frequently.

hwf-racing
03-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean the washer gives it a smooth surface to rotate, sweet project. Derek

JIM GRACE
03-18-2011, 05:19 AM
I finished ours last night and used 25 length bolt instead and a washer on both ends of the nylon bushing. I think my pvl plate is thinner the one in the picture. Thanks for all the info,,