PDA

View Full Version : 16-36gearing

BARRY
02-16-2003, 05:01 PM
every 400 i see from duncan racing does this. does any one have this set up and do they like it

methyman
02-16-2003, 05:05 PM
The more motor work you have, the bike will pull lower gearing. I am running the same 16/36 gearing and runs great with 18 inch tires when I motor cross. Its ok for trail riding with a little loss in low end with 20 inch tires but not that much. It just a matter of what you like. It give you more top end too.

Big - D Racing
02-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Duncan is right down the street from me and Lenny Duncan swears on this gearing especially for motocross. He says the 400ex has more than enough bottom end without enough top end, with that gearing it evens it out a little bit, so you gain top end and loss a little bottom. I run it and would not go back to stock. A lot of people run 14 in front and the stock 38 in the rear. Why? I have no clue, I tried it and it was terrible you have no top end, it is a terrible gearing coice. If you don't want that much top end just chane the front to 16 and keep the stock 38 on rear or keep 15 on front and run 36 in the rear. Experiment and find what you like.

crashinmatt
02-17-2003, 06:57 AM
i agree, 16/36 is really nice, but i prefer something more like 15/37 on small tight tracks. the 16/36 works great on meduim to large tracks for me. this weekend i have a race thats inside a small building, and with lap times maybe around 20secs. last month it was the same, and i only was in 2nd and 3rd with 15/37, and didnt need any top end speed. so i say get a couple different sprockets if u race on a bunch of different sized tracks.