View Full Version : Rear Caliper???

54warrior
03-10-2011, 06:49 AM
In need of a rear caliper for a 250r. What is the best option?

Stock replacement?

Perhaps a swap to newer style? (I don't think the 450's have a dual piston setup though do they?)

Are there any aftermarket units available?

J.B.
03-10-2011, 07:27 AM
See the 450r brake conversion sticky above.

54warrior
10-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Instead of spending $160 on new 450R rear brake parts, is there a better alternative out there? I remember reading something about a YZ450F dirtbike caliper mounting right up, but I cannot locate that thread after about 20 mins of searching. Stock calipers are pretty hard to come by these days, as we all know. Hate to sound like a tight wad, but already have an LSR Axle Nut and Brake Hub that I'd like to keep.

Thanks!

DoonRider
10-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Not sure if you have the old one yet, but I always wondered if there was somewhere to send them off to get reconditioned? It seems pretty easy to toss them when a piston gets stuck and then buy another used one that may or may not have a stuck piston, but it would be nice if there was someone that rebuilt them. After taking one apart and fighting those pistons, I figured out it's something I don't want to tackle.

Anybody rebuild these things?

deathman53
10-01-2011, 04:39 PM
I rebuilt 6 of them in one time. Its not hard, getting those seals in can suck. I would get the seals and piston(s) and do it yourself. There is one o-ring that is a major pita to get to, its the one for the parking brake. East coast atv sells calipers that are new or rebuilt, maybe you could send them yours and they will sell you a rebuilt one at a lower rate?

audioworks04
10-02-2011, 07:22 PM
They are very easy to rebuild aslong as you can get the pistons out. Its as simple as using compressed air and blowing out the pistons just as shown in the manual, make sure you cover them with a shop towel to catch the flying piston. Hopefully you dont have one that the piston flat wont come out like a few I have around. I have put over 120psi into these and only got one piston out. Anything over that just scares me.

sameltoe
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
grease always works...

RyanWsly
10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I have never personally had one stuck, but always thought you could just push the pistons out using the master cylinders hyd. pressure if you needed to. I'm not sure what kind of pressure it produces, but I would think it would be higher then compressed air for sure and easier then hooking up a grease gun since it's already plumbed up. maybe I've overlooked something, like I said I've never had one stuck so it's speculation.

deathman53
10-04-2011, 03:22 AM
the most common thing w/ any brake caliper is the slider pins are seized. pistons rarely get stuck. The reason why many 250r calipers are considered "junk or worn out" is because the pins get seized and you have to heat it up to unseize it. When you do, you can tend to melt the rubber boots, piston seals and maybe crack the pistons. Its just easier to buy new ones, another used one or a different model that will swap(ie: 450r caliper, plate, brake hub and rotor on a 250r) or dirtbike front caliper(yz250 seams to work quite easily)