PDA

View Full Version : Forum Update

brian76708
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Is it ever coming? i have seen in the past pappy hint of it but it doesn't seem like its ever going to happen. For one this is the most outdated forum system im on and the search absolutely sucks on here as well. Really just seeing if its ever going to happen.

-Brian

Ruby Soho
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
i like this forum. its basic and easy. and ive been using it for 7 years i dont need a change lol

smr
03-09-2011, 02:13 PM
and the price just keep going up....I'm really thinking about canceling my supscription....:D

Pappy
03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Word is it will be done soon. We all have been traveling so much covering events that getting it done just hasnt been a priority. I was told that this spring we are just hiring someone to do some form of upgrade. Alot of folks dont want any changes but this place is dated and new editions of vbulletin offer some cool stuff. There is some changes we have to worry about as some new things for those of us that work here need but it will all go smooth LOL(praying)

Thats all the info I have. I know the magazine that was taken over has added some time in getting things done but there will be some changes/additions and cross promotions happening soon! If you cant tell, we like to be busy !

:p

ridehonda400ex
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I like the forums how they are, BASIC AND SIMPLE. But make the search to where it can be any amount of letters, instead of 4 letters and above. Like when I was searching for good pipes and wanted to search many brands like for example: HMF LRD and FMF, i couldnt just search that, and instead had to do hours of reading just to find something simple, like the quality and sound and how loud. It would also help to prevent Re-Occuring threads because people wouldnt have to search so hard

Pappy
03-09-2011, 04:19 PM
just add a * to hmf etc....search will work fine

candidate zero
03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Almost all forums have the 4 letter or more search, like he said just add a * and it will work fine.

The one thing that bothers me most about this forum is that I don't get a pop-up when I get a new PM, and it's not easy to notice when you have a new PM either.

Pappy
03-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by candidate zero

The one thing that bothers me most about this forum is that I don't get a pop-up when I get a new PM, and it's not easy to notice when you have a new PM either.

You did not select to have a pop up in your user cp...its fixed now

candidate zero
03-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I swear I've checked that thing 3 times now! Thanks, hopefully it's fixed!

Scro
03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by candidate zero
I swear I've checked that thing 3 times now! Thanks, hopefully it's fixed!

Not to sound ridiculous, but do you have any pop-up blockers on?

candidate zero
03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm using firefox, usually it will show if it blocks something. Maybe the newest version doesn't do that?

Pappy
03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
When you set up your account, you selected not to have a pop up on pm. I changed that for you, now you should get a pop up

Scro
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
If you go to Tools > Options > Content, you will see a button called "Exceptions" next to block pop-ups. Try adding us to that list.

candidate zero
03-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Scro
If you go to Tools > Options > Content, you will see a button called "Exceptions" next to block pop-ups. Try adding us to that list.

Done

BlasterEaten250
03-09-2011, 09:10 PM
This is by far the easiest forum to read, I hope that doesn't change much!

CJM
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Since day one Ive had it checked to get pop ups for PMs, it never has done it. i also have it set to email me when I get one and nothing either with that.

Not complaining, just pointing it out.

candidate zero
03-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Mine still isn't working.

trailrider894
03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Since day one Ive had it checked to get pop ups for PMs, it never has done it. i also have it set to email me when I get one and nothing either with that.

Not complaining, just pointing it out.

x2

It used to, but i changed my account e-mail and it doesn't do it anymore... makes me real mad because i know i missed out on some real good info.

honda400ex2003
03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
i hate change of any sort... and love how the site is right now. why change what works. :D dootalk went through a major upgrade this fall and im still on the fence about it. the old way was great and stuff was much easier to read with the old colors. my vote would be to leave exriders alone. steve

CJM
03-09-2011, 10:29 PM
It is possible we could keep the current forum theme. There is often an option for running vb classic as a forum theme.\

What the update probably will fix are things like the PM issues, security fixes, etc.

dan harris
03-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I visit alot of sites and this is the easiest forum to read and to post on - especially pictures - hoping you don't change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it !!!!!!

Honda#4
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree with Dan I like the forum the way it is, maybe just a color change of the site may give the site new sparks. I'm happy with the search I think people just need to know how it works is all, nothing really to complain about.

Other than that GO Atvriders!!!!

brian76708
03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by dan harris
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!!!!!

why not improve on it? like how many of people on this forum leave there quads stock? one of my favorite things from other forums is a "Show new replies to your posts" button it makes finding the threads you posted in a lot easier other then subscribing to them. i know about the * trick but i still don't seem to have good luck with that.

anywho...Thanks for the update pappy looking forward to it.

NacsMXer
03-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
This is by far the easiest forum to read, I hope that doesn't change much!

X2

I'm all for upgrades as long as the overall organization and simplicity don't go south. I find the color template easy on the eyes compared to a lot of other forums as well.

Anybody remember not too long ago when thumpertalk did their long needed "upgrade"? It was the biggest cluster, hard to find stuff, hard to read, etc. Just unnatural feeling. They got so many complaints from the members that they eventually changed it back to the simpler format.

CJM
03-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I personally would just like a forum theme installed. Something like a darker background and text box. Whites nice but it can hurt the eyes after a bit.

finsteratv
03-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
X2

I'm all for upgrades as long as the overall organization and simplicity don't go south. I find the color template easy on the eyes compared to a lot of other forums as well.

Anybody remember not too long ago when thumpertalk did their long needed "upgrade"? It was the biggest cluster, hard to find stuff, hard to read, etc. Just unnatural feeling. They got so many complaints from the members that they eventually changed it back to the simpler format.
thats why for some reason i can only stand TT (thumpertalk)for like 5min haha