PDA

View Full Version : Bearing in stem

J.B.
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I have some up and down play in my bars that i tracked to the bearing in the bottom of my stem. Any recommendation for a replacement? I see some standard looking bearing kits online, but also see some taper bearing kits. pros/cons?

Lasher
03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I either order OEM bearing or just take the size of the bearing to the local bearing supply company (in Hartford CT).

For steering stem...I just order OEM with new seals.

J.B.
03-09-2011, 11:12 AM
They a ***** to change out?

SilverLake250R
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
No, pull the stem out, then take the seals out of the frame. Then there is a snap ring holding the bearing in, take that out and then tap the old bearing out. The bearing might be a little stuck, but if you're replacing it anyway, you don't have to be careful with it.

J.B.
03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Silverlake, Do you also recommend the OEM bearings and seals? Ive been looking at the Moose tapered bearing and seal kit, but have not heard anything on them.

SilverLake250R
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I have always used the OEM type, but I could see where the tapered style would be beneficial, especially because those Moose kits come with two bearings, so you would always have one of the bearings loaded when either pulling up or pressing down on the stem.

I might have to try one of those kits on my Walsh build, it's only 15 bucks shipped on ebay...