PDA

View Full Version : Sub-frame tubing

One_Bad_400
03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I plan to build a sub-frame here soon for my 450r. What thickness tubing is the best for these projects. I was suggested .080" wall by a friend but the local metal supply company only has .065" and .120". The 20' stick of .065 would cost me about $22 and the stick of .120 would run me about $63. If the .065 will work I see no need in tripling my cost and doubling the weight.

Any advice is appreciated

250x_kyle
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
the 65 thou wall should work. you may have to add in an extra brace or two. i take it its plain steel due to the price. also is it seemed tubing or not.

One_Bad_400
03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes just plain steel. seamed ERW. I haven't really experimented with all the types and grades yet, so i am open to advice. the more I know the better.

Honda4life05
03-08-2011, 12:01 PM
May I ask why your are making one out of steel in stead of buying a stock aluminum one that would be lighter?

One_Bad_400
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I've got a stock one on my bike now. Just going to build a lowered one just because. I might not even like it, just going to try it.

250x_kyle
03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
put some threaded insers on the bottom mounts and use heims and make it adjustable. i think you would be fine with that tubing. i mean for a first attempt might as well start cheap and if you like it you can build a jig off it and make one out of chromoly. i take it you will be tig welding it as well?

just because the stock one is aluminum does not mean it is lighter. in this case it may be.

Rootar
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
If i remember correctly i ordered my chromoly tubing and inserts and hiems for less than $150 for my sub frame i built.

mx Eli
03-08-2011, 07:36 PM
hey onebad400 last time i checked your inbox was full

also let me know how the subframe build goes how much much your trying to lower it depending on how it goes I would see if ya wanted to build one for me also for a price of coarse.

One_Bad_400
03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
mx Eli, I cleared out my inbox. I've been so busy latly and haven't gotten around to taking better pictures. And if the testing goes good I'll let you know about one and price.

Yes tig welding it. I will probably buy this stuff to run my test on sense it is so cheap and just make extra supports. When i get it all worked out i will copy the design with some chromoly probably.

250x_kyle
03-09-2011, 03:27 PM
i dont know what wall the stock 400ex sub frame tubing is. but honestly i don think it will need much bracing at all. i have a few drawing made just dont have acess to a tig to build me a flip top anymore.

250x_kyle
03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
i have all kinds of plans drawn up just dont have acess to a tig anymore to build them. good luck with it. i really dont think theres to much bracing that will need done.

bens250ex
03-09-2011, 05:44 PM
who did you find that sells tubing hunter?

mx Eli
03-09-2011, 06:12 PM
hey no problem

what exactly are you planning on trying to do with building a subframe? Like most people i know just want to get it lower but I was looking at mine and there is lots of unused space in between underside of the seat and the top of air box. With taking this into consideration you could make the air box sit almost 1 1/2 higher in the subframe there for you could lower it even more without hitting the shock or swing arm. If needed the air boot can be formed with heat.

I know nobody wants to hear this from a 14 year old like me but just thinking out loud:p :p

250x_kyle
03-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
hey no problem

I was looking at mine and there is lots of unused space in between underside of the seat and the top of air box. With taking this into consideration you could make the air box sit almost 1 1/2 higher in the subframe there for you could lower it even more without hitting the shock or swing arm.

i dont dissagree with that at all. i built an aluminum airbox for my 450r and it sat almost flush with the bottom sub frame rail. with the idea of the heims on the bottom mounts you could make it pivot (im sure you knew this). with those two factors into consideration you should be able to lower the subframe and not have any clearence issues; however, with the stock airbox it seems like the only way to raise it would be some custom brackets and drill a few holes.

my fix to the issue my buddys quad was this. i tore my 450r down for an over haul and ended up parting it out before i made any modifications to the subframe.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/PICT0025-2.jpg