PDA

View Full Version : Fresh 440, something's missing

12-03-2001, 07:03 AM
My buddy just did the 440, I don't have all the specific's but he is not very impressed. I know it just needs tweaking. All you guys with 440's where should he start? I know this has been asked a few times before but I'm too lazy to search. Here's what I know:

*He's running the carb stock - what carb or mods you guys got?
*No airbox
*E-series complete all discs on
*He basically just cleaned the head up
*Running race gas (of course)
*"Play" cam
*Weisco piston, I believe 12.5:1
*Aftermarket Rev box

Broke it in kinda hard in my opinion, first ride was a half hour long then he went to the dunes. He was getting spanked by just about everyone that wasn't on a 400EX. How do you guys hang with a piped Raptor? That's what I wanna use as kind of a gauge on how well his is running. Thanks for your help guys.

crday98
12-03-2001, 07:52 AM
with my mods,i spank raptors in a drag.the raptor will just about always have the top speed though so if it is on a long flat open haul,you stand little chance unless you go to a higher gearing.i can't say for sure why he doesn't have the power he should.the only thing i could suggest by the info provided is the motor wasn't done right,perhaps the timing is off,valves are not set right,the jetting is off,etc. or the person who did the work ripped of your buddy.i don't like to assume that but it has happend at a shop(at the time)now the guy is a dealer, in my area.the person who did the work could have just put the cam in or just did the 440 kit,figureing your friend would feel a difference in power and not realize he has been ripped off.it is only speculation but i feel that if a dealer could rip someone off and get away with it,anyone could.

MOFO
12-03-2001, 07:58 AM
Yep, I agree. He should feel a huge difference if he had the bore kit and cam done. Something does not seem right here.....what exactly is a "play" cam???

Eric

12-03-2001, 09:02 AM
sounds like a gook ol fashion jetting issue to me.

12-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Not done right is a possibility, but he did the work himself. He has experince in machine work they race baja trucks, and have all the equipment at their shop. It generally runs good just lacking some power. By play cam I mean not the full race cam that's how they were classified, where he ordered them from. I will get more info from him ASAP. But just to get an idea what size pilots & mains are you guys running with yours? He pulls the Raptor right off the line then that's it. I will get a chance to actually ride it next week in the sand where we can race, (my 400 pretty much stock except for timing, pipe, no choke), but I often get compliments on how strong she runs.

MOFO
12-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Yep, now that I re-read this post, I see you mention the carb being run stock. do you mean he never changed jets??? If so, that would be the first thing to start with. He should be running atleast a 40 pilot jet, move the clip up a slot on the needle jet and i would start with a 160 main jet and work up.

Eric

Blackguywithouta400
12-03-2001, 09:40 AM
Just want to make sure everyone is on the same page when talk about moving the needle clip. So if your holding your needle with the point/taper pointing at your feet you would move the clip down, this will richen the mid mixture. Hope this helps. We can help more once we get all the details on the carb and exhaust, what company he got the "play" cam from, what 440 kit he bought etc.

MOFO
12-03-2001, 09:46 AM
Yep, you are correct. I meant to say move the needle up via clip going down. It came out all wrong ;)

12-03-2001, 11:17 AM
He has rejetted, what I meant by stock carb was that he hasn't put on an aftermarket or had his modified. We are at a low altitude here in the desert, for example I run a 165 main on my al most stock bike with no lid and I could probably get away with a 168 without any "blubber" at the top, so I was thinkin he may just need a carb that is a little bigger to feed the beast. I will get more info, I should've in the first place. Thanks for the help so far, I got next round.

Chef
12-03-2001, 05:17 PM
i have had the FCR Carb on my bike since we started this motor work madness. with average temps in the forties here, i have a 195 main in my bike, and its still a tad bit lean :huh