PDA

View Full Version : Turbo??

MidnightBlade
03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Ok, the other night i had the bright idea of doing a turbo build just to do it. I am going to use the Garret GT15 turbo, or the Garret T25.
My question is, do i run the boost into the carb or run the air/fuel mix into the turbo? I will keep the wastegate, and most likely adjust it lower.
In JohnDoe's thread he had the problem of it cutting out at 1/2-3/4 throttle. just wondering if he ever cured that and how.
My main goal is to keep everything as compact as possible, it will be a trail/drag/hillclimbing quad so smaller is better.
I don't really care how much boost it will push but i don't want it to grenade my engine.
I am stock bore, stock carb, and completely stock engine. I dont want to bore if I don't have to

trailrider894
03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
Ok, the other night i had the bright idea of doing a turbo build just to do it. I am going to use the Garret GT15 turbo, or the Garret T25.
My question is, do i run the boost into the carb or run the air/fuel mix into the turbo? I will keep the wastegate, and most likely adjust it lower.
In JohnDoe's thread he had the problem of it cutting out at 1/2-3/4 throttle. just wondering if he ever cured that and how.
My main goal is to keep everything as compact as possible, it will be a trail/drag/hillclimbing quad so smaller is better.
I don't really care how much boost it will push but i don't want it to grenade my engine.
I am stock bore, stock carb, and completely stock engine. I dont want to bore if I don't have to

A few words for you..... Don't do a turbo. Just not worth it...

finsteratv
03-07-2011, 06:47 PM
im with him^^^....

CJM
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Swapping in another engine would be not only easier but more powerful.

Nice XR650 would do good.

JOHNDOE83
03-07-2011, 07:32 PM
It is possible and it will work, I had a problem with the pilot tube setup, since then I figured out what the problem is but havent messed with the project for some time.

I had the pilot tube setup wrong and on top of that I never loosen'd the float bowl screw to let the air in....lol.

So Ive yet to see it fully spool and dont know if I need a smaller turbo or not?

If I had a second chance Id buy the smaller turbo kit on ebay.

I will mess around with the turbo more as soon as work slows down a lil bit or I find a better place to work on quad.

BoneStockHonda
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
If you really want a turbo go for it. I love driving boosted cars and wish my quad was the same but i simply dont have the money to do it. Garrett actually used to make a full kit for the 400ex, you can try contacting them and see if they have any left over or at least what parts they used.

MidnightBlade
03-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Ahh, might just drop in the XR650 in it like CJM said. I read a little more on it last night after I posted and saw that it takes more guess work than I thought.

PLF
03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
LOLL !

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/turbokits/TK_GarrettHondaSportrax_EX400.pdf

CJM
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Any engine will really work in these frames, might take some fab work but it isnt very hard.

If I ever do find a 450 or EX frame Im doing a 600cc+ engine. Buddy of mine had a line on a kawi 666 with dual carbs and some kinda throttle body injection for $150. Probably stolen no doubt, but if I had a frame I could make it work.

I think an enduro engine would be best only b/c its light weight and not much to them usually.

BenHonda400ex
03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by PLF
LOLL !

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/turbokits/TK_GarrettHondaSportrax_EX400.pdf I don't see what's so Lol. And look at this, has a couple of mod's but this thing is a beast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJdEm5F_Dgg

CJM
03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
its also 4 grand, least thats what the pdf said. I could fit a busa motor into an ex frame for less.

All you gotta do to the XR650 engine is find one with electric start (easier in the end to fit into the frame), put in a higher comp piston like an 11 or 12, cam, pipe, etc and you uncork the sucker from 40hp to 55-60hp easy. Most of all its reliable.