PDA

View Full Version : Who do you use for shipping?

kbnorth99
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I recently had some tires and wheels for sale but it was just too expensive to ship them. UPS wanted almost $40 to ship from CA to the Midwest for two front tires with no wheels. It was something like 18 lbs and the box was 20'x20'x12'. They would charge extra if I wrapped them instead of boxed them.

I know there must be something better because I see people shipping all sorts of stuff on here.

What are you guys using?

Honda4life05
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
usps is def the cheapest. just wrap the wheels/tires in packing wrap and put a lable on it.

sexysilverado45
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Did you go to the UPS store or you local ups building.

kbnorth99
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
Did you go to the UPS store or you local ups building.

I went to the UPS store. I didn't realize there was a difference.

CJM
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Doesnt matter they all charge ya, I find post office to be the cheapest.

DnB_racing
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
keep packages under 5140 square inches(I think) or right around there, and its not a oversize package and the price is reduced to around a buck a pound roughly

sexysilverado45
03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
The UPS store is outrageous. I found taking them directly to the building is cheaper and they will let you send the tires just taped together for cheap.

Balaz_73*00
03-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Meaning that you guys take them directly to the local UPS hub where the brown trucks get packed for delivery? I didn't know you could ship stuff directly from there...?

sexysilverado45
03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Ya directly to the hub Idk if every UPS does it but ours does

DnB_racing
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by kbnorth99
I recently had some tires and wheels for sale but it was just too expensive to ship them. UPS wanted almost $40 to ship from CA to the Midwest for two front tires with no wheels. It was something like 18 lbs and the box was 20'x20'x12'. They would charge extra if I wrapped them instead of boxed them.

I know there must be something better because I see people shipping all sorts of stuff on here.

What are you guys using? 20x20x12 is 4800 square inches and well under the oversize pakaging, it shoulnt have cost more then 20 bucks

BlaineKaiser450
03-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Definatly dont use USPS they pretty much murdered one of my packages...

Your from Rocklin, thats like 10 minutes from my house

kbnorth99
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
Definatly dont use USPS they pretty much murdered one of my packages...

Your from Rocklin, thats like 10 minutes from my house

They recently lost one of mine. I'm out $100 bucks. I hate using them.

Where do you live? I am always looking for more riding buddies. PM me when you get a chance.

Aarons 01 400EX
03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I use UPS. I have sent 18" corvette wheels through UPS, just by putting a couple pieces of cardboard between the rims and then wrapping the tires together.

jkiserracing
03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
USPS is great for lighter weight packages and Priority Mail is great but something like tires going Parcel Post USPS is very very slow. Sometimes weeks.

20x20x12 is in fact NOT oversize but 20x20x13 IS. UPS, weather it be the store or the distribution center makes no difference. They will tipically measure the "bulge" in the box which is probably what happened in your case. Shipping charges are calculated by weight and distance on most packages with the exception of flat rate envelopes and boxes.
I would not reccomend USPS for larger items unless its Priority Mail but that can be the same or more than UPS and FedEx.

sexysilverado45
03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
there is a difference between the ups hub, and the ups store. The ups store will not let you send irregulars, and the ups hub will. The ups store wanted to charge me 100$ to ship a frame I took it to the ups hub and it was 43$. Also ups charges by weight,cubic inches, and distance.

ds19
03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
I go usps,

BlaineKaiser450
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by kbnorth99
They recently lost one of mine. I'm out $100 bucks. I hate using them.

Where do you live? I am always looking for more riding buddies. PM me when you get a chance. Yeah they are trash. Well I've got a dirt bike now since all of the tracks closed to quads. I'm in roseville

braybray08
03-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm a supervisor at UPS, the two main factors is the weight of the package and where its going ( unless the package is huge in size taking up a lot of volume)... If the package is not placed in a box we consider it bulk and there is a slight extra charge on top of that.... It is true, places like staples and the UPS store charge more, but you can also buy packing supplies there, at a hub you can't. Hope this helps

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Something people don't know-

Take your stuff directly to your nearest HUB. "The UPS Store" isn't actually a part of UPS itself like many people think. They're franchises and usually locally owned. It will be cheaper to take it directly to the HUB.

I work for UPS, that's how I know. ;)

jkiserracing
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
Something people don't know-

Take your stuff directly to your nearest HUB. "The UPS Store" isn't actually a part of UPS itself like many people think. They're franchises and usually locally owned. It will be cheaper to take it directly to the HUB.

I work for UPS, that's how I know. ;)

Actually.......to clearify this. Your partly correct AND incorrect.

The UPS Store is a franchise. The franchise is owned by................UPS of course. The rate there IS the same basic rate as at the UPS counter. However differences in charges will apply when using additional things such as, insurance, signature required, C.O.D. etc. And of course packing.
So the UPS Store (franchise) is a subsidiary of UPS which actually does make it "a part of UPS" in a way.
The ironic thing is, the franchise itself has gone to hell in a handbasket so to speak that is a DIRECT result of UPS buying them. Nothing has been the same since and hundreds of stores closed due to it. Some people say that UPS store owners have been really rude when they drop off a package or say they dont do certain thing pertaining to UPS shipping (when it comes to UPS account holders)

So there you have it....straight from the mouth of a FORMER UPS Store owner.
The good news is.....I left that sinking ship of a franchise and started my own store and its been the best move I ever made. Now 3 locations to serve you better!!!!