PDA

View Full Version : 04 and 07 tank heat shield????

smurf450
03-07-2011, 05:53 AM
I put 07 white kicker plastics on my 04 and everything works out fine but the heat shield. The heat shields for each model are different not only where the front of the rear fenders mount in but also underneath the tank on the right side where the cables go. The tank won't sit down flush. On the parts diagram everything shows to be the same but the 07 heat sheild looks just like the 08 where the right side of the shield is rised up and the 04 on that side are flat. Anyone else run into this issue?????

Rich250RRacer
03-07-2011, 06:09 AM
I've run into this. I tried putting an 07 heat sheild on an 04 also. The routing of the cables will be fine, but the biggest problem is that the tank won't sit down like it should. Even tried trimming the shield a little bit, but in order for the tank to sit properly, there would be nothing left. There is a difference in bottom of the 04-05 tanks compared to the 06-newer and that's where the problem is. If you want the tank to fit properly, then you're either going to have to modify the 04 shield to work with the plastic or find a newer tank.

smurf450
03-07-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm glad someone else agrees with me lol. I was trying to put it together and was wondering what was wrong till the clip broke on the shield from the tank being pushed down. Honda needs to change their parts diagram because they show to be the same but aren't. Do you think you could cut that whole rise piece out and that'd fix the problem?

Balaz_73*00
03-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I have 07 plastics on my 05 with the 05 tank shield. I just cut the tabs on the front part of the rear plastic where they would push in the 07 heat sheild. Everything sits flush and looks good. No tank issues at all

smurf450
03-07-2011, 11:09 AM
I bought the heat shield and all the plastics and gonna figure a way to modify the shield cause I really don't wanna cut on the new plastics. I'd rather cut a $25 heat shield than the plastics. I don't see why Honda had to change little things like that cause my 04 never had any issues with the old way of snapping into the heat shield.

DnB_racing
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by smurf450
I don't see why Honda had to change little things like that cause my 04 never had any issues with the old way of snapping into the heat shield. marketing ...the only reason they change things like this is so you have to buy the right one to fit!!! its always about the money

smurf450
03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree with you on that. If you go buy the new plastics then in order not to modify anything you need the 07 shield and 07 tank. Wanna buy one thing but you gotta buy more just to have it fit up. Either way I'll figure a way to make it work cause Honda can build some great machines.