PDA

View Full Version : extended swingarm

Minndave13
03-07-2011, 01:44 AM
I am thinking of extending my swingarm by two inches (I am running 22's, and my new heelgaurds are close to hitting). I want to make sure there are no problems and I think the cheapest route to go would be to cut my swingarm and add two inches. I would like to know what the benefits/and or down side of adding two inches would be. I ride mostly really rocky trails and I need extra clearance, therefore the 22's. I will be getting some Razr 2's and with the cost of these tires I do not want any issues.Would this be worth my time and effort? Right now I have almost an inch of clearance but I may get some wider/stronger footpegs in the future and I don't think my tires would fit at that time. I like how my quad handles now and I just don't want to change the handling too much. Would I even notice a difference?

cataway
03-07-2011, 04:13 AM
it somewhat depends on how much HP your working with and what your tiring to do . it defently will help to keep the wheels down. the longer the arm the need to lower the rear
i'm using a +4 swinger and its even hard to get up some times i whish i had a +3

RATPACK Z400
03-07-2011, 06:34 AM
I hear go inch/half on swing-arm . I had extended swing-arm on another quad and it didn,t wheely as easy but climbed hills alot better !

Minndave13
03-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The horsepower is not a problem (Got plunty there) I am trying to get more clearance for my 22's. I should be just fine but I would rather not be second guessing this one. About the only time I would have to worry is above 55 mph. My thinking is that if I could extend my swing arm for less than $100 then I would/could go that route. I mainly ride on trails just south of St. Helens and I am wondering by adding 1-2 inches on the swing arm what would I gain and what would I give up? I hardly ever wheelie but I do like to open it up when possible. It is paid for so I do drive it like I stole it. Once a roommate blew up one of my other quads. Towing him back to the staging area I had him past 50 mph (he had some choice words for me when we got there) but, then again he should not have blown up my quad (he put straight gas into a two stroke- when I told him not to). I have the power (Modded extensivly), just wondering Pro's/ Con's of extending the swing arm for my application? Thanks guys.

cataway
03-07-2011, 03:21 PM
i would be some what surprised i you can do it for $100
there is a kit you can get from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LTZ400-KFX400-DVX400-SWINGARM-EXTENSION-KIT-PLUS-2-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230ea95c62QQitemZ15056 9835618QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i know some one that used a 6inch kit and he likes it

mine was done in a diferent way ,the guy i got it from charges $400. far as i know he only does +4's

Minndave13
03-07-2011, 04:17 PM
The link you suggested is No Longer Available (NLA). But I got my idea from ebay. Basically a guy took some rectangle aluminum stock and welded a bigger piece of aluminum stock in the center. He wants 179.99 for this maybe $20 in materials. He suggests that you take your swingarm, cut it in half, put in two of these pieces and reweld everything back together. I figure I can cut out the middle man, make these pieces my self and save some coin. This may be a little experimental but if I can save some moola and get the same result, why not? I live in a bigger metro area so supplies will not be hard to come by, and I have some friends that I will be asking to do the welding so I am thinking that everything should work (don't know, maybe?). That is the reason why I am getting another swing arm off of ebay and hacking that one- that way if this little project doesn't work I still have the original and all I have to do is put that one back on and go. Sounds good on paper anyways. Dave.

twincat800
03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Havent seen it on a forum but saw it on an ltz, guy bought an extra swingarm from ebay, cut a chunk out of the middle of it, cut his original one in half and welded the other chunk in there to get his extention. Thats what i would like to do if i ever extend mine. Kinda help keep the stock look im going for.

twincat800
03-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Those extentions on ebay are 190$ can get a swingarm to cut up for under 50$ Both of those prices are shipped!

twincat800
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Sorry minndave13 didnt even read your last post til now, but ive seen it done so its possible for sure.

twincat800
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Sorry minndave13 didnt even read your last post til now, but ive seen it done so its possible for sure.

XC_Racer_129
03-15-2011, 05:11 PM
My buddy put a +1.25 on his DXV and he said it made a world of difference. The shocks work better, has more clearance around the tires, and you get rid of the dumb carrier. We both raced XC with DVX's and he never had an issue getting around with the extra length.

Minndave13
03-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Yea, I too am going for the stock look. I want others to really look hard and good to what I have done to my quad (I want them to think it's stock until after I beat them). I've done almost everything but put in the bigger bore. I've posted before but only a few know all that I have done. Only a few more things to add then this is all buttoned up. I see that you guys have what you have done on your quads, when I figure out how to add this then I will post. For now I to am trying to stay with the stock look. Thanks Dave.

cataway
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/cataway/idaho09159.jpg
can you tell mine is +4

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/cataway/PictureSL4-11-09022.jpg

Minndave13
03-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Awesome Cataway!! Exactly what I am striving for! If I can make mine look half as good I will be doing good! I am still hoping I can do the same to mine but still stick to a budget of $100. I will keep posted on how I am doing as this project gets going (I need to finish another little project before i can do this one). I would hate to run up against you in the sand. Even though I mine is modded pretty good I think you blow most of the compition out of the water!