PDA

View Full Version : Progress on Walsh CRF...with questions.

Lasher
03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
This weekend my son, my buddy and myself all worked on the the Walsh CRF. I will post pics later on.

What we got done...

Motor installed (with issues/questions)
A-arms mounted
Swingarm mounted
Rear Shock installed.
Flip Top Seat adjusted
Electrical stuff bolted in.
Stem installed
Dreamwork water pump cover installed
Radiator installed

Here are my questions...

The upper motor mounts that bolt to the back of the head and conect to each side of the frame cannot be bolted to the frame. The stock mounting plates, the bolt holes are different than the holes in the frame on the Walsh chassis. Looking at the part numbers, I see that the pre-05 is different than the 06 that I have. Hopefully I just need the earlier model of mounting plates.

Second question is about the fuel connector nipple thing under the gas tank. The stock trx250r connector was too long. Swapped with the 06 CRF connector and it is shorter but still hitting the top of the head. I need close to an inch, which I do not see possible using the trx250R gas tank and the CRF connector.

Do I make new brackets for the gas tank, raising it up an inch therefore throwing off the plastic/seat? Or is there some other trick I am missing?

mx Eli
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
most people just run a fuel line out of the tank then have an in-line petcock

Lasher
03-07-2011, 04:09 PM
The problem is the connector part that bolts into the bottom of the tank that the fuel line connects to is hitting the top of the valve cover.

The stock trx250r has two lines, regular and reserve while the crf450 connector only has one line. This helped with the clearence (as others have stated using search) but with the Walsh frame and 06 motor it is not working.

timmersam
03-08-2011, 12:56 AM
When I built my Houser I had the same problem. I contacted them and found out that they had fabricated a piece that turns 90 degrees as soon as it comes out of the tank. It was still a tight fit, but everything worked properly. I think that it cost me $20 or something like that. They said they had a few in stock at the time, they should still be able to help you out. Hope this helps,

Sam

josborn
03-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Lasher - The 05+ head mounts only fit the 05+ frame. 02-04' used plates with aluminum spacers at the head mount. I found that out when i bought a brand new head stay from an 07' and they wouldnt bolt up, like you described. 05-08' head mount plates are all one piece plates, no spacers. I sounds like your frame is for an 02-04 engine. But to take that a step further, the 04 engine, i believe, starts the wider bottom frame mount. Arent you running an 05-08 engine?

Lasher
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
My Walsh frame is an 09 frame. The motor is an 06.

The bottom mounts are perfect for the 06 motor.

I called Nate this afternoon and asked him a couple questions. Seems they need to make new upper motor mounts for the motor to fit. No biggy, they still have to make the lower front motor mounts as well. Both should be done next week.

As for the gas tank....Nate said they would take the one on the 250R tank, cut it off and weld it back on as a 90 degree to fit. I was hoping that there was something that would work off the shelf but it is not looking like that is the case. As expected...another custom part needed for the hybrids! :)

I will say this....that motor is tight in that frame! Not one ounce of space is free...which is why they probably handle so much better.

Picking up the exhaust later this week...so it is coming together...

atvmxer79
03-08-2011, 07:17 PM
On the petcock coming out of the tank which way do you have it facing? Because I had the same problem On my prp framed CRF hybrid and I used the 03 Dirtbike one (facing forward) and it worked just fine, it's tight but works.

C41Xracer
03-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by atvmxer79
On the petcock coming out of the tank which way do you have it facing? Because I had the same problem On my prp framed CRF hybrid and I used the 03 Dirtbike one (facing forward) and it worked just fine, it's tight but works.

thats how mine is on my FLP hybrid

Lasher
03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I did a search when I first found the issue. And the 03 CRF fuel joint assembly is the same part number as the 06 CRF...according to Service Honda.

On the Walsh chassis that motor is tight in the frame. Which is why the removable frame rail is necessary. Which I love for taking the motor out.

gtilley45
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM
I gotta figure out what kind of petcock to use on my Walsh YZ. It's only got one line coming out of the tank, and it's got a rigged up cut off valve in the line that I hate. I want to figure out what petcock to use so I can do it right.

atvmxer79
03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Idk ab on the yz but I use the valve off the 03 CRF if u don't have a tab to mount it to go to homedepot or any other hardware store and buy a round tube hanger. It may be called something else but essentially wraps around the chassis and leaves a hole to mount it to.

atvmxer79
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Idk ab on the yz but I use the valve off the 03 CRF if u don't have a tab to mount it to go to homedepot or any other hardware store and buy a round tube hanger. It may be called something else but essentially wraps around the chassis and leaves a hole to mount it to.

Lasher
03-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by gtilley45
I gotta figure out what kind of petcock to use on my Walsh YZ. It's only got one line coming out of the tank, and it's got a rigged up cut off valve in the line that I hate. I want to figure out what petcock to use so I can do it right.

From what I have learned about Walsh stuff...I am willing to bet the dirt bike YZ joint under the tank might work. Or you will have to do something custom.

Pretty much the dirt bike joint does not have reserve, which is the second line going into the petcock.

The problem with the Walsh chassis is the frame rails are so low that there is no room for the joint under the tank. Don't know what I am going to do yet because the CRF joint does not work. Hopefully you have better luck with the YZ stuff.

gtilley45
03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
From the pics I'm seeing online, it won't be the YZ petcock that I need. It bolts directly to the tank. I'm still looking for exactly what it'd be.

gtilley45
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
OK, I've been looking around and found this....

My tank has a 90 degree fitting bolted to the bottom with one gas line connected to it, and it is facing toward the front of the quad. I was looking at some pics of other Walsh quads and I found this pic of one of jrspawn's Walsh YZ's.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/jrspawn/My%20Walsh%20Quads/100_4494.jpg

I noticed that the petcock on that quad is bolted to the frame like other Walshs I've seen. It looks like a single fuel line comes off the tank toward the front of the quad (like my tank) and goes into the petcock which looks like this '06 CRF petcock I found on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CRF450-petcock-fuel-gas-valve-CRF450R-CRF-450-04-09-8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e59a573fQQitemZ36033 4382911QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I know yours is a Walsh CRF and has the removeable frame rail. I also know that the CRF motor is a good bit taller than a YZ so this might not help you out. But I've got a friend with a Walsh CRF, I'll ask him about his.

Lasher
03-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I just took a couple pics (which I will post in a minute) but the removable frame rail from Walsh has a mounting location for the petcock.

I just tried the fuel tank one more time and it is so close. I could probably force the tank on but then the joint/fuel line would be pressing on the head of the motor.

Let me know what you find out.

Lasher
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I ran out in the garage and grabbed a couple pics. Sorry the garage is dirty.

Lasher
03-09-2011, 10:36 PM
other side...And that is my Walsh 250R in the background. I had to remove a couple parts that are going on my kids CRF.

quadcrazy02
03-10-2011, 10:50 AM
On my Walsh I used the stock 250r outlet on the tank but I cut on outlet off which is the bottom one, I welded it to plug hole, then on my gas tank I put like 4 washers in-between tank and bracket, total of 16 washers cause there is 4 bolts. That gave me enough room for my outlet to clear valve cover. It's clean and you can't even notice it. Hope this will help you out.

Originally posted by Lasher
My Walsh frame is an 09 frame. The motor is an 06.

The bottom mounts are perfect for the 06 motor.

I called Nate this afternoon and asked him a couple questions. Seems they need to make new upper motor mounts for the motor to fit. No biggy, they still have to make the lower front motor mounts as well. Both should be done next week.

As for the gas tank....Nate said they would take the one on the 250R tank, cut it off and weld it back on as a 90 degree to fit. I was hoping that there was something that would work off the shelf but it is not looking like that is the case. As expected...another custom part needed for the hybrids! :)

I will say this....that motor is tight in that frame! Not one ounce of space is free...which is why they probably handle so much better.

Picking up the exhaust later this week...so it is coming together...

Lasher
03-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by quadcrazy02
On my Walsh I used the stock 250r outlet on the tank but I cut on outlet off which is the bottom one, I welded it to plug hole, then on my gas tank I put like 4 washers in-between tank and bracket, total of 16 washers cause there is 4 bolts. That gave me enough room for my outlet to clear valve cover. It's clean and you can't even notice it. Hope this will help you out.

The CRF joint under the tank is the same as if you cut/weld the stock one.

I am probably thinking I will just make new back gas tank mounts, with the same results as more washers.

Any problems with plastic/seat when you raised the rear that little bit?

gtilley45
03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
That was the guy I was talking about. He doesn't get on this site much. I've got some pics of his bike, you can't tell that it's affecting his plastic or seat.

This is the only pic I have on my computer....PM me your number or email and I can send you the ones I have on my phone.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/gtilley45/Hybrids/photo.jpg

gtilley45
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Oh hey Lasher, what kind of chain rollers are those? The ones on my YZ are shot, but I didn't know for sure what kind I need. Are they '89 250R or what?

Glamis400ex
03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
On my Houser CRF, I had the same problem with the tank outlet hitting the top of valve cover. It was so bad that the movement and jostling around from riding was wearing a hole on my fuel line. I was way far out in the dunes riding for like 4 hours and getting low on gas when we stopped and I noticed I had a stream of gas running down the front of the motor. man, I made a B-line for camp while leaking fuel everywhere and the thought of catching on fire was on my mind. I made it back to camp on fumes and realized I need to come up with a fix.

Heres what I did, I did a couple things. I took a dremel with a barrel burr tip and found where the metal tube from the bottom of the tank was hitting and created a little ditch...not too much. It ended up where the tip was hitting was a a spot on the cover where it was double wall. If you look at the valve cover top there are to spots about the size of a dime directly accross from each other. I know that because I actually went thru one layer and made a small BB size hole and freaked out, but then I took the cover off and flipped it over and realized it was a spot that 2 layers of casting. Thats the only place where it's double thick. If you try and create a little ditch anywhere else you'll probably go thru the other side. I think I went 1/8th inch down and 3/8th inch wide. That alone didn't solve it. I then cut about 3/8th inch of the bottom of the nipple on the bottom. I still had about 5/8 inch for the fuel line to be pushed on the end. You don't need an inch and a half for fuel line connection, you really only need like 1/2 inch if your fuel line fits real tight. Add a zip tie if it makes you feel better. I also added a couple spacers to the rear mounts. All those things solved it for me.

Hope that helps.

laeger2fiddyr
03-11-2011, 04:55 AM
When I built my LSR Crf I bought a new petcock from houser racing. bolts to the tank with a 90 deg fitting and I also ordered there tank brakets. They raise the rear of the tank up a bit to allow for it to fit. Plastic fit fine!

quadcrazy02
03-11-2011, 07:12 AM
The CRF joint under the tank is the same as if you cut/weld the stock one.

I am probably thinking I will just make new back gas tank mounts, with the same results as more washers.

Any problems with plastic/seat when you raised the rear that little bit?

No, you cant even notice it, I only need 1/8" to clear valve cover

Thanks Grant you beat me to it buddy!! lol

Lasher
03-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Oh hey Lasher, what kind of chain rollers are those? The ones on my YZ are shot, but I didn't know for sure what kind I need. Are they '89 250R or what?

The chain roller on the sub frame, just under the air box is from Walsh. When I order the chassis I told him to give me one as well.

I can look to see if it is the same as the one that is on the donor CRF. Going on memory, I think they were the same.

Give Nate a call. As I have found, the newer Walsh chassis which use TRX450R parts is different than the older ones like my 250R chassis. Or just shoot him an email.

quadcrazy02
03-12-2011, 08:09 AM
What trx450 parts are you using on that chassis?

The chain roller on the sub frame, just under the air box is from Walsh. When I order the chassis I told him to give me one as well.

I can look to see if it is the same as the one that is on the donor CRF. Going on memory, I think they were the same.

Give Nate a call. As I have found, the newer Walsh chassis which use TRX450R parts is different than the older ones like my 250R chassis. Or just shoot him an email.

Lasher
03-12-2011, 09:25 AM
The biggest difference is the rear end. When I order the chassis I have the choice between 250R parts or 450R parts.

The swingarm requires the 450R carrier/axle/hubs. The rear brake set up is also from the 450R.

Front end can be from 400ex or 450R, Nate said it does not matter. But I just ordered a set of 06+ spindles/hubs. Not only are they cheaper than the 04/05 set up but from my research the 06+ is the same as the 400ex spindles but with the 450R brakes.

Still using 250R parts for airbox/grab bar/bumper/gas tank/plastic.

Lasher
07-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Its alive! Took most of the week and a couple sleepness nights, but my son raced the hybrid this weekend at Southwick!

After I get it cleaned up I will take some pics and post more. But the quad ran great on Sunday.

Lasher
07-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Here are some pics. I still need to attach the radiator shrouds, polish a few things and fix the front plastic mounting.

Front...

Lasher
07-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Rear...

Lasher
07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Left...

Lasher
07-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Right...

josborn
08-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Like the Red chassis, very cool.

gtilley45
08-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Damn, I'd love to have some of those graphics.

Very nice Lasher!!

quadcrazy02
08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Damn, I'd love to have some of those graphics.

Very nice Lasher!!
I got a set!! Lol

Lasher
08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Do you have the seat cover?

JMaN05
08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Very nice! Cant wait til my yz is finished! Should be done by next weekend!! Does ur kicker clear ur plastics?

Lasher
08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
With the Maier low profile rear fenders and the stock CRF kicker, it just barely clears. But there is no room for your boot, you end up hitting (bending out of way) the fenders.

You can flip up the seat to have full clearance, but I would imagine on the track if you stalled, you could kick it over.

My son only raced it once at Southwick. So not much seat time on the thing.