PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate discovery on engine block

dirtdawg
03-06-2011, 03:25 PM
The other day i was finishing scraping this huge rubber buildup on the bottom of my engine to find a welded patch that covers most of the underside of my engine.

Thats where the oil leak is coming from. I thought it was a bad gasket in between the cases but this really blows.

When i was cleaning it before applying a healthy amount of hondabond, i found that the bolt that is dead center along the cases was enveloped in this hideous patch, so if i wanted to split the cases i would not be able to.

So i'm gonna repair the leak with hondabond for this riding season and look into a whole new engine over the fall or winter months. That is really the only fix for this issue.

The moron before me must have hit a rock...hard...and just mickey-moused it. There was a skid plate on the bottom the day i test rode it so i would not be able to see it.

So, what would u guys suggest doing? find a complete fresh engine on ebay? donor quad? or find a engine on here?

My quad has all the mods it needs and a lot of my bearings are new. I have all the mods in my sig and they are all fresh.

I did a quick inspection of my quad while it was tipped up on the grab bar yesterday and i really do not need much for a rebuild.

I most likely need some gently used stock a-arms, a-arm bearings, steering stem bearing, new rear tires, handlebars and of course the engine. Most likely would PC the frame while apart.

My rear end new, swing-arm is in good condition, shocks are all rebuilt, carb is good, new air filter, and my plastics and seat cover are good.

Sorry for such a long post but just figured i'd leave nothing out. Thanks guys.

smr
03-07-2011, 05:54 AM
believe it or not but that leak was most likely cuased by loose motor mounts. You must keep those bolts tight or the motor will twist under torgue and the case will snap in theat spot.

I sugest you try to sill the leak with weather striping. That works pretty good. You will have to reply every few months. Just as long as no water can get in then there is no harm done.

When you get ready for a new motor let me know, I may just have one.

dirtdawg
03-07-2011, 07:41 AM
well i'm using the hondabond and its doin ok. Haven't started it up yet because i want the leak to stop while its sitting doin nothing before i run it. I have a skid plate so itll be covered.

300ex59
03-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I have some stock a arms and some 22x11x9 trac star tires that were only used once on sand if your interested.

dirtdawg
03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
thanks but i don't have the money for it right now. I'm working more this summer cuz i'm in school fulltime right now and i'll get some money for this build maybe this winter.

anyways the hondabond is not working well. I don't want to just contain the leak i want to stop it, and i'm not sure how.

Btw whats the weatherstripping idea u got smr?

smr
03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
it's just called weather stripping. You can get it at lows. It's usually yellow, it real sticky and coats real well. Usually will stop your leak for awhile.

YOu might also try JB Weld.

dirtdawg
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm looking on ebay and people are nuts thinking they're gonna get $1200 for a stock atv engine, no matter the year.

People get 350 car engines for less than that all the time!

I can understand if it's a national motor or something but DAMN people are crazy. I'll spend like $500 on the engine tops cuz I want to have money to upgrade the internals. Maybe i should reuse my top end and just look for a complete bottom end, much cheaper. I can still use my left and right cases.

The motor i have runs fine, just has this horrible leak.

dirtdawg
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Well my stator and clutch cover cases that is. I just need left and right cases.

Now that I think about it that makes perfect sense. I'll keep my top end and reuse it cuz nothings wrong with it.

So I just gotta save up for the cases for now. Then I can look into what I'm gonna do for a setup, I already know I don't want stock internals but i want to be able to run pump gas, no race fuel.

dirtdawg
03-11-2011, 07:19 PM
I've decided to take the safe route and shut it down. Got everything disconnected today and got 2 out of 4 motor mounts undone so when i pull it out i'll only have to undo 2 mounts and everything else is already done.

dirtdawg
03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
So now i gotta figure out what my plan is for parts.

I wanna do the 330 kit, 11:1 piston, a cam and port & polish. I want to keep it pump gas, and do this relatively inexpensively. Now if i got the 330 kit will the stock crank handle it? What would you guys suggest for a cam? I have heard mixed reviews about hotcams so idk.

I'm trying to figure out how much this stuff will cost now so I can plan ahead for saving up cash rather than doing this and going broke.

dirtdawg
03-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Did some research and I'm probably gonna go with a 313 setup, 78mm piston. So I would need a resleeve. Where can I get this from? Powroll is like $325. There's gotta be someone cheaper.

I'll prob go with the hotcam stage 1 ($175?) for the cam so I can keep my rockers and just go with bigger valves and a valve job(.

Also gonna do a trail port from butler motorsports. ($75)

dirtdawg
03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
bought 2007 cases on ebay so the build is officially underway. It's gonna take a while cause money is tight right now but its gonna be great when its done