PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment...

NMills
03-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Well.. i'm stuck.. need a little help... i attempted a valve adjustment yesterday.. i just put my engine back together.... and i figured before i put my tank and plastics back on i'd get it done with... i have the Clymer Manual which has been a great help on everything else... but it tells me to put the engine at TDC and check for play... i've checked... and checkeed.... rotated the engine... can not seem to get any play... is it possible that i screwed up the timing with i put it back together??? or am i missing something???

PaRedneckRiders
03-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Are you SURE the engine is at TDC.

NMills
03-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Well... according to the "T" mark it is... but i don't remember if i had it there when i attached the Timing chain to the cam shaft in the top end...

DragonGunner
03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by NMills
Well... according to the "T" mark it is... but i don't remember if i had it there when i attached the Timing chain to the cam shaft in the top end...

If your valves are tight at the "T" mark, rotate one full turn ab stop at the "T"......you can also be 100% sure by putting a long screw driver (careful) down the sparkplug hole, as the cylinder comes up it will push it up, stop at the "T"...TDC has been achieved.
When putting your cam chain on...you have to have the "T" mark aligned, an the cam sprocket index lines even with the top of the cylinder head.

NMills
03-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah... i the more i think about it the more i think i screwed it up.... well... it'll have to wait till tuesday....