PDA

View Full Version : What years would you recommend

kbnorth99
03-06-2011, 10:15 AM
OK guys I'm planning on selling my 400ex within the next year to upgrade to a 450. The LTR is one of my top choices of course.

I have heard some people say great things about them and some say they are less reliable depending on what year you get. So what can you guys tell me? Any years that are more or less reliable than others or may require more maintenance than others?

I will be buying a bike with NO engine mods so the effects of mods on reliability are not a concern.

Thanks for the input.

Jim417mx
03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I raced a 100% stock motor/exhaust 07' ltr for 2 full seasons /years in A class locally , and 4 nationals, then I finally modded it and cracked a piston ring :ermm: . stock does last the longest just keep up on oil changes, buy quality fuel, etc.

nkillian9
03-06-2011, 09:44 PM
for sure buy quality fuel if there is a such thing now stay away from ethanol if possible but always run premium, which should be ran in any quad anysize premium is pretty much a must

bigbad400
03-07-2011, 01:01 AM
the 400 ex is probably hands down the most reliable sport quad out there. its bean around for over 12 years, unchanged. its proven and its about bullet proof in stock form.... youll never see an ltr last like that. there made to rev and a 400 ex quits making power at about 7500 rpm... the ltr is just comming onto nice hot power then.... you will never be as reliable as that 400 ex, but youll smoke by it like its standing still on an ltr.... so take your pick... win or ride a 400ex! lol i think in racing the answer is simple :D

i just have to say racing and reliability dont really belong in the same sentence. lol if your winning chances are you brake something. speed is money.. how fast can you afford to go?

but for years of ltr the 07 seems to be the leqast quirky, not because i got one but because thats year with less problems i guess, 06 have weak shift pin im told and 08 up have bad third gears... so they say... some will argue. idk i never broke my ltr... i show it alot of respect and it treats me good, i can still go start it any day i want and ride wereever i feel the need to go. great quad.

nkillian9
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
mines an 08 and have broke 3 rd gear out of it after a yr im hard on it and did all the work myself so only cost me 180 with gaskets being half of that price. So the myth is true with the later models. But if thats the only problems ive had with the hours and punishment out on mine, Then its not really a problem at all. But if u have someone else do it its a costly repair, but i suggest buy a manual on anything u get and work on it urself racing quads are an exspensive addiction. So if u wanna make the best of it learn to work on it urself