PDA

View Full Version : TRX250r price help

THORrider350
03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Thinking about getting myseld into a project quad.. wondering if this is a decent price at $450

THORrider350
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM

THORrider350
03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
everything in both photos except for the axle.

its also an 87

skyeryder
03-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd offer him $300, if you look around enough you can find a beat up R for around 1000-1500 then you have everything you need motor and all the small stuff, then you can sort out what you want to keep or replace and sell that stuff to make alittle of your money back, just my .02, buying it that way is gonna nickle and dime you to death.

THORrider350
03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
thanks for the info, i will look out for something thing like your saying.

wilkin250r
03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I second that. It's actually not a terrible price, but it's a terrible STRATEGY. Somebody like me could make use of something like that, but that's because I already have a stockpile of old parts to work with.

Even if you got an engine and major components (like axle, shocks, plastics) for a cheap price, all the little things are going to kill you. Like skyeryder said, you'll be nickel and dimed death.

Brake levers, brake lines, thumb throttle, throttle cable, clutch cable, radiator hoses, bearings, bushings, gromets, wiring, ignition components, engine bolts, suspension bolts, carburetor, intake boot, chain and sprocket, skidplate, ect ect ect.

$20 here and $40 there adds up real quick, and then you gotta throw a few $100 and $200 items on it as well (like tires and rims), and that's BEFORE you buy an engine.

bigE28
03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
there was one on craigslist for $1500. not sure if it was pitt , clev , or akron. put 250r in search window and it should come up on one of those areas.

Jonny B
03-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Just to be that guy...It doesnt look to far away to me. Its got complete intake, exhaust, cooling, front end from the stem to the hubs w/cal, tank, rear suspension/swinger and an seat. It would depend on the shape of all those parts also. Looks like the majors are:

-complete eletrical $125
-complete engine $500-?????
-fenders decent fullbores are $300
-bumper $35
-axle complete $150-???
-rear brakes $75-?
-wheels tires- $200-??

Anyway you look, buying a complete one or building this its going to min $1500...and the $1500 250r's you see for sale are in need of money also. Sooo, this maybe a good pick if you want to build how you like it from there. Always haggle for a lower price on it, but its got some things there for a start. I hate these price games people post.....lol

wilkin250r
03-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Jonny B
Just to be that guy...It doesnt look to far away to me.

Apparently I don't see what you're seeing. Yeah, you can get an engine for $500, but I haven't seen to many that come complete with a carburetor also for that price, let alone the throttle cable, throttle, and clutch cable.

And that's the point I was making, the majors ARE easy to take care of, it's the little stuff that's going to combine to kill you. I don't know about you, but I've never seen an engine come complete with brackets and mounting bolts, or an axle come complete with bearings, and rarely have I seen plastics come complete with mounting hardware and grommets.

Trying to find and buy those pieces one at a time gets real expensive real quick.

Jonny B
03-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok, thats why I hate this game. I have bought and sold enough to guys on here and on ebay to know whats available. I dont need a moderator to tell me that...
To further get into your response, I see complete carbs with cables all the time on ebay...nice aftermarket fenders sell for 1/3 of what they should and yes with mounts also. You can find complete axles from carrier to hub all the time. I dont see a point in your response because you must not be looking hard enough. The truth is it takes time to fit a bike into your budget and if the nickles and dimes kill you then collect baseball cards...this is not for you.

biker
03-07-2011, 09:32 AM
i seen this on craigslist too thorrider, would make a good spare parts quad waswhat i was thinking

bigE28
03-07-2011, 05:56 PM
thorrider i sent you a pm. it has some info you may find helpful.

Jesse1980
03-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Jonny B
Ok, thats why I hate this game....... The truth is it takes time to fit a bike into your budget and if the nickles and dimes kill you then collect baseball cards...this is not for you.
I agree with you 100%. Building a bike from the ground up is not a cheap thing to do but it is the best thing to do. I built my 2nd bike and I have probaly close to $2500-$3000 into it but I know what I got.