PDA

View Full Version : powder coat engine

exrider87
03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I want to powder coat my valve cover, jug and head. can i leave the valve cover assembled to do it and just remove the valves and valve seals from the head? thanks.

Scro
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
It will have to be taken apart. I suggest molycoating the jug and head to help dissipate heat. Powdercoat will hold the heat in.

exrider87
03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
alright. why does it need to be disassembled? as far as i know there are no rubber seals. i believe you just curious is all. i guess i'm not familiar with molycoating. what is that?

Scro
03-05-2011, 07:44 PM
It's actually becomes a chemical property of the metal with no thickness. Powdercoat has a thickness, so it's going to hold more heat. Most shops will want it disassembled to prevent any possible damage to anything.

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Scro
It's actually becomes a chemical property of the metal with no thickness. Powdercoat has a thickness, so it's going to hold more heat. Most shops will want it disassembled to prevent any possible damage to anything.
Where can moly coating be done?

NMills
03-05-2011, 07:47 PM
If you leave it together and PC it... and then down the road you if u need to do anything... cam chain or a piston... rings... valves... you won't be able to unless you can break the seal it's made.... it will make the engine come apart that much harder... atleast in sections it will come apart in sections...

exrider87
03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
i just meant leaving the valve cover assembled not the entire top end if thats what your meaning.

Scro
03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Where can moly coating be done?

Pappy has always done my stuff, but I'm sure most powdercoat shops could do it.