View Full Version : stainless steel valves,do you have to change the springs?

farmer250r
03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
i have a 06er,looking to get stainless steel valves,do i have to change the springs and retainers?

jjm400ex
03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
ss valves need hd valvesprings

farmer250r
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
anything else i should swap?

Rich250RRacer
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Scro
It is not required that you get HD springs for SS valves. It's the type of the cam that determines if you need them or not. Most cam manufacturers will state if you need HD springs. I would recommend replacing the springs, retainers, and guides if they've never been replaced since 2006. Be sure to have the seats cut in the head when you replace the valves. They wear out just as fast as the valves.

That's totally wrong. The weight difference in the valve material determines the spring type just as much as the type of cam does. You can't use a spring for a stainless valve on a Ti valve because of the considerable weight difference between the two. A lighter valve requires a lighter spring and a heavier valve requires a heavier spring. Scro, I don't want to seem like a dick, but if it's something your not experienced with, then don't answer. Too many people take what they read on the internet as gospel, and if you provide the wrong info, it could cost them a great deal of money.

Scro
03-07-2011, 06:23 AM
I've ran SS valves with stock springs with no problems at all. I don't know, maybe I've just been lucky. I'll go ahead and delete my post. There's no doubting you have more experience.

Ruf Racing
03-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I've ran SS valves with stock springs with no problems at all.

^^ I as well ^^ I always thought the springs you use are dictated by the cam. The orginal poster needs to call a reputable engine builder to comfirm.

Scro
03-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I'll also add that I've done this on both an 04 model, and 07 model. The 04 model comes stock with SS valves anyway, so defiantely no issue there. Like I said, maybe I was lucky with the 07. Rich knows his stuff, and it wouldn't be wise to go against his advice.

eastside 400
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
like stated, you should run SS specific springs for your valves.. with that said, there are tons of people out there running springs that dont match their valve train. if you are running a stock, or close to stock like a crf cam, with SS valves and stock springs you will most likely be ok. I would personally use the springs that are meant for the valves though

gasguzzler
03-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Honda used the same valve spring for their 04-05 models with ss valves as they did for the 06-up models with ti valves. I thought it was odd, but look up the part numbers.

fomospede
03-08-2011, 09:07 AM
my engine builder has told me that the added weight and spring tension will beat the seat into the head prematurely
just a thought

Rich250RRacer
03-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by gasguzzler
Honda used the same valve spring for their 04-05 models with ss valves as they did for the 06-up models with ti valves. I thought it was odd, but look up the part numbers.

04-05 valves aren't stainless steel, they're oxide coated steel (which is similar in weight to the 06-newer Ti valves), and that steel is very soft once the oxide coating wears off, which is common when dirt gets through the air filter. When the oxide coating is gone and that soft steel face is exposed, the valve will begin to sink into the seat and the valve clearance begins to decrease.