PDA

View Full Version : An update of mine

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I went ahead and just got a Wiseco 10:1 due to my possible crank needing replaced. I dont need any more stress that it already has. Its getting bored to a 402, and cylinder is getting bead blasted, I also went ahead and got a new clutch cable, Mine was stretched a little bit. With everything done, including labor, its all rounded to $675. OH and plus he is gonna fix my oil tank.

jcs003
03-05-2011, 01:41 PM
if the crank is going bad then replacing the top end is a waste of time and money. more often than not, when a crank fails it takes the top end with it.

you could probably get a good used motor for about $800.

this is only my opinion so dont take it personally.

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
if the crank is going bad then replacing the top end is a waste of time and money. more often than not, when a crank fails it takes the top end with it.

you could probably get a good used motor for about $800.

this is only my opinion so dont take it personally.

Well, I have a good feeling my mechanic made it seem worse than it did, cause last time i had my blaster worked on, another guy told me that crank bearings went bad, The crank bearings were fine....

tri5ron
03-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I get the feeling that the 400exmxrider15 and 01boneless are somehow related.
Distant cousins maybe???

I also get the feeling, that we will soon be seeing a couple of quads in the classifieds with blown engines.

I can just picture the ads now,...
**MX READY !!! , (Just needs new Engine)**

But hey, we tried. They'll just have to learn the hard and expensive way, I guess.

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Okay, tri5ron, I dont have money growing on trees right now. My mechanic said $1500 for a full bottom and top end and i just do not have that money, I'm pretty sure next year I will be rebuilding the motor myself. The whole reason i had my mechanic tear the top end off was to time-sert my valve cover bolts that go down into the cylinder. I never even planned to throw a new piston in. So if you wanan call me stupid, go for it, but i wanna see a check in the mail for $1500

tri5ron
03-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
Okay, tri5ron, I dont have money growing on trees right now. My mechanic said $1500 for a full bottom and top end and i just do not have that money, I'm pretty sure next year I will be rebuilding the motor myself. The whole reason i had my mechanic tear the top end off was to time-sert my valve cover bolts that go down into the cylinder. I never even planned to throw a new piston in. So if you wanan call me stupid, go for it, but i wanna see a check in the mail for $1500 dude, I didn't call you stupid,
what I said was you and boneless seem related.
the reason i said that is you two are both dealing with similar issues on your machines,...
you both hae asked very similar questions about what the right ways to fix them are,...
you both have gotten solid advice from various members here,...
but you both seem to come back saying things like "Do I really need to do that, or this, or whatever ".

You want your bike to run right, you want to trick it out into a MX race machine, but you are willing to slap it together with a band-aid, and at the same time you are quite litterly risking and total catastrophic mechanical failure, that could cost you more to repair or replace the entire engine,... than it is worth.

Whether or not you have the money to do it right is not the issue.
The issue is, if you DONT do it right, you ARE GOING to blow up your engine.
You engine does not care whether or not you have the money right now. all it cares about is whether it is right or wrong.
if it is wrong,....
and you try to run it,.....
it WILL BLOW UP.
Period, end of story.

That is exactally why I said that I feel we will soon be seing them in the classifieds with blown engines.

You can make it into what ever your heart or feelings desire, but the fact of the matter is, you both have asked and been advised at your request as to what you need to do to your machines.

You come back saying you are going to slap it together, doing only half of the job. I'm betting that is mostly due to a immature level of impatience, that is going to result in you destroying your engines.
If you were really THAT concerned about spending too much money, then you would man-up, and realize that you would be better off to spend some of that "Shop Labor" charges on some tools, and learn to do the repairs yourself, and save yourself some money, while at the same time maybe learning a little about your machine. God Forbid !

But no,... you won't do that, Why ???
Because you just can't fathom the idea of your quad being down for the count, and you having to figure out a way to earn some extra cash to do the job right.
you would rather take the chance to do the job halfassed,..
so that you can ride this weekend, or week, or whatever, and cry again when it does blow-up.

So don't go getting your panties all in a wad over what I said, Plenty of folks here hae tried to steer you down the right path with your machine.

The facts of life are that when you own a machine that is intended to basically be heavily used, and somewhat abused,
it is going to come with a certain level of necessary maintaince.

If that level of maintaince is not maintained,
then there WILL be a certain level of necessary REPAIRS.

you can take that as solid advise if you so choose,... or not,.... because Quite Frankly my Dear,...
(Rhett Butler to Scarlett O'Hara-Gone with the Wind).
And,
That's a Fact, JACK !!!,...
(John Winger to General Burnike - Stripes)

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
okay, my mistake for coming back at it as a jerk. I did intend on doing it the right way, and I explained to my parents and they told me that I was stupid and that i have wasted so much money on 4 wheelers. I told them, if I dont do it the right way the first time, I could throw a rod, bust piston, break through cylinder, destroy transmission, destroy head.. They still said I was stupid and that I dont know anything about money. I'll be honest, I intended on spending the $1500 the guy was going to charge me, But i only have $500 saved up and dont even have a car yet. So yes, I tried telling my parents the advice you were giving me, funds just will not accomplish that, it pisses me off!!! I just want a great running 400, but i can't do that cause my parents wont fund for anything, but yet they spend $2000 a year on my sister to play volleyball, basketball, softball, and soccer competitively...i dont understand it.

jcs003
03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
ron practices tough love. dont be mistaken, his intentions are good. BUT, if you are patient and work hard to get the other money you need to fix your quad, im sure your parents will appreciate your effort and probably help you out.

another thing. sometimes its good to get a second opinion. even if he is a great mechanic it is possible to get a misdiagnosis.

sneaky11
03-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Dude... I'd start my rebuild in January... I'm 30, got my first baby on the way, got a 125 years old house that i'm putting alot of money in it since 1 year in reno, and the most expensive... I have a wife!! :blah:

I'm surely doing alot more money than you, and I surely can throw my bike to the shop and let them do all the work for me, get the bike done in 2 weeks and MasterCarded the job... and have alot of fun with it right now...

But no... The satifaction of my hands building an insane setup, the pride of a MAN who can tell to all those guys with daddy's money... '' Hey dude... this is what my 10 fingers and my smart brain can do for 1/8 of the $$$ you spend on your quad!!'' that's it!!

If you want a good advice... be patient... follow my path... By the sweat of your brow you'll save money, and by this time, while reading on this forum, you will EXPEND your knowledges and with a little bit of self confidence, YOU WILL GET THE JOB DONE and be proud of your fulfillment.

Mike

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I would do the top end build myself, but Im working on school and I need a good grade or I can't race in April. I'm trying my absolute hardest....I am 15 and my job takes place during the summer.

01boneless
03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I get the feeling that the 400exmxrider15 and 01boneless are somehow related.
Distant cousins maybe???

I also get the feeling, that we will soon be seeing a couple of quads in the classifieds with blown engines.

I can just picture the ads now,...
**MX READY !!! , (Just needs new Engine)**

But hey, we tried. They'll just have to learn the hard and expensive way, I guess.

hey ron how about you leave me outta of this i thought you was a nice guy:(

hocman123
03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I would do the top end build myself, but Im working on school and I need a good grade or I can't race in April. I'm trying my absolute hardest....I am 15 and my job takes place during the summer.

if u are onlly 15 then i would wait a for raceing next year, trust me u got lots of years for raceing infront of u. but with a bad bike raceing ur season will be a vary short one. i would just set the bike to the side get to work over the summer and start to order parts one at a time and sooner then u think it will be all done and ready to go for next season

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
if u are onlly 15 then i would wait a for raceing next year, trust me u got lots of years for raceing infront of u. but with a bad bike raceing ur season will be a vary short one. i would just set the bike to the side get to work over the summer and start to order parts one at a time and sooner then u think it will be all done and ready to go for next season

I agree... It took me 5yrs to get there... but finally... i bought my ama card and have started training for D-18 MX!! THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of dollars... that i worked and slaved for and hundreds of hours of blood, sweat, and pain... it is way more worth it to do it all yourself... its excellent discipline...

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Well, when you say wait a year, that really means wait 3 years, cause I need to save up for a truck. I turn 16 in September, I feel my 400ex is gonna be just as strong as it was before my valve cover bolts stripped out.

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Well, when you say wait a year, that really means wait 3 years, cause I need to save up for a truck. I turn 16 in September, I feel my 400ex is gonna be just as strong as it was before my valve cover bolts stripped out.

Listen to Ron... If you don't do it right your screwed... you think 1500 is alot now, try paying twice the amount because you skimped.

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
What part do you guys not know of me not having the funds to put a new crank in it? I'm not built of money. My motor didnt even make a sound when It ran before it got taken apart. Its a honda, it will run forever.

01boneless
03-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
dude, I didn't call you stupid,
what I said was you and boneless seem related.
the reason i said that is you two are both dealing with similar issues on your machines,...
you both hae asked very similar questions about what the right ways to fix them are,...
you both have gotten solid advice from various members here,...
but you both seem to come back saying things like "Do I really need to do that, or this, or whatever ".

You want your bike to run right, you want to trick it out into a MX race machine, but you are willing to slap it together with a band-aid, and at the same time you are quite litterly risking and total catastrophic mechanical failure, that could cost you more to repair or replace the entire engine,... than it is worth.

Whether or not you have the money to do it right is not the issue.
The issue is, if you DONT do it right, you ARE GOING to blow up your engine.
You engine does not care whether or not you have the money right now. all it cares about is whether it is right or wrong.
if it is wrong,....
and you try to run it,.....
it WILL BLOW UP.
Period, end of story.

That is exactally why I said that I feel we will soon be seing them in the classifieds with blown engines.

You can make it into what ever your heart or feelings desire, but the fact of the matter is, you both have asked and been advised at your request as to what you need to do to your machines.

You come back saying you are going to slap it together, doing only half of the job. I'm betting that is mostly due to a immature level of impatience, that is going to result in you destroying your engines.
If you were really THAT concerned about spending too much money, then you would man-up, and realize that you would be better off to spend some of that "Shop Labor" charges on some tools, and learn to do the repairs yourself, and save yourself some money, while at the same time maybe learning a little about your machine. God Forbid !

But no,... you won't do that, Why ???
Because you just can't fathom the idea of your quad being down for the count, and you having to figure out a way to earn some extra cash to do the job right.
you would rather take the chance to do the job halfassed,..
so that you can ride this weekend, or week, or whatever, and cry again when it does blow-up.

So don't go getting your panties all in a wad over what I said, Plenty of folks here hae tried to steer you down the right path with your machine.

The facts of life are that when you own a machine that is intended to basically be heavily used, and somewhat abused,
it is going to come with a certain level of necessary maintaince.

If that level of maintaince is not maintained,
then there WILL be a certain level of necessary REPAIRS.

you can take that as solid advise if you so choose,... or not,.... because Quite Frankly my Dear,...
(Rhett Butler to Scarlett O'Hara-Gone with the Wind).
And,
That's a Fact, JACK !!!,...
(John Winger to General Burnike - Stripes)

by the way ron mine is getting fixed for 250 buck and with performance parts i dont care what you think so quit talking about me and leave it alone

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Ron, I think you and i need to abandon the thread... They ask for advice, and we give it, then they somehow know better than us... = Waste of Time.

Put your motor back together however you want, if it blows up i told you so.... I managed the funds at 14 to do it, i am sure you can manage... Drink one less soda a week, and at a dollar a soda, you saved 52 dollars to fix stuff. If you wanted it you could manage... trust me we ALL know whats it like.

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
omg, I didnt even really do anything. I gave my opinion, and i gave my apology to ron, but boneless got upset somehow....I dont drink soda anyway, im in training for mx. no fast food either, fruits and vegtables, and tons of meat.

01boneless
03-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Ron, I think you and i need to abandon the thread... They ask for advice, and we give it, then they somehow know better than us... = Waste of Time.

Put your motor back together however you want, if it blows up i told you so.... I managed the funds at 14 to do it, i am sure you can manage... Drink one less soda a week, and at a dollar a soda, you saved 52 dollars to fix stuff. If you wanted it you could manage... trust me we ALL know whats it like.

dude i like you guys its just ron came acrossed as a you no what with the gossip ang some how i got dragged in it i dont know where he got i was half***** anything lolhope no one offenended

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894

Put your motor back together however you want, if it blows up i told you so.... I managed the funds at 14 to do it, i am sure you can manage... Drink one less soda a week, and at a dollar a soda, you saved 52 dollars to fix stuff. If you wanted it you could manage... trust me we ALL know whats it like. \

I wasted 3 grand on trying to get a blaster to run.

01boneless
03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
omg, I didnt even really do anything. I gave my opinion, and i gave my apology to ron, but boneless got upset somehow....I dont drink soda anyway, im in training for mx. no fast food either, fruits and vegtables, and tons of meat.

lol fruits and meat the way of life haha

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Nothing better than prime rib....that and pulled pork sandwich

01boneless
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Nothing better than prime rib....that and pulled pork sandwich
lol we could get along just haha (just ask ron) lol

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
lol we could get along just haha (just ask ron) lol

Apparently to him we are brothers. ahaha

01boneless
03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Apparently to him we are brothers. ahaha

lol apparently i dont even know where he got that on idea on me but he did act like a prick i do like trailrider tho lol and you

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
yeah, trailrider is cool. laid back. heck, if i werent so far away, i'd prolly call you guys up for a ride once my hundy is fixed!

01boneless
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
yeah, trailrider is cool. laid back. heck, if i werent so far away, i'd prolly call you guys up for a ride once my hundy is fixed!

ya lol me two

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Good to see ya'll like me... where you guys at??? I might be able to make that happen... lol

01boneless
03-05-2011, 09:27 PM
ohio lol long ways haha

hocman123
03-05-2011, 09:28 PM
\

why on a blaster i would have just said f*** it around 1,500 b/c the bike isn't worth it.

i get that ur young and money is tight but no one said this hobby was cheap or easy. but i hope it works out for u and ur engine works fine

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
why on a blaster i would have just said f*** it around 1,500 b/c the bike isn't worth it.

i get that ur young and money is tight but no one said this hobby was cheap or easy. but i hope it works out for u and ur engine works fine

I am young and dumb...

Trailrider: Im right across the bridge from Louisville Kentucky.

CJM
03-05-2011, 09:57 PM
\

I feel for you, a kid I know did exactly that except he spent 1500. Those things are good for tops 10 rides before you outgrow them. shame you dumped cash into junk-but live and learn

The 400ex is a machine, we ride them we abuse them, we beat them. They break and we gotta shell out to fix them. Just the way these things work, and if you arent fixing or playing with something on it or thinking about new or cool performance parts-well then you belong riding a simple auto clutch machine of some kind or a utility that isnt a high performance, gas hogging machine.

My EX has broken so many times Ive lost track. Ive rebuilt quite a bit by now and stuff still keeps going. Case in point-my header has a leak, no matter what I do I cant get it to stop, will it cause damage-possibly burn my exhaust valves but Ive seen worse and am willing to risk it for now-its not a major thing if the head goes, always can find another (I do happen to have a good parts source tho). What started it was my exhaust stud pulled out, repaired it, pulled out again, and again and by now what was a 3/8 bolt is like a 10mm bolt.. HOWEVER Im repairing it this week properly if possible, either we tweak the header so it lines up, weld and fix the head or get another head. Course Im also a mechanic by trade and can work on my own junk and if I cant do it I know someone who can usually. Not some idiot who would charge me insane amounts of money either.

Hell, you think a cranks the least of your worries? how would you like to be like my buddy Hocman. he spent 2500 bucks on what was supposedly a rather mint 05 EX. Turns out it wasnt. We have had the topend apart and repaired it so many times cause the idiot stripped and helicoiled the threads I lost track. I drilled and tapped it so much that he had to finally just give up and get a new topend! Aluminum is soft, once its screwed thats it usually. hell, how would you like to find out that you dont have 2 qts of oil in it but close to 4, how would you like to find your axle bearings practically nonexistent and in pieces, maybe the idea of redoing the entire topend and finding out it now smokes is your idea of a good day? Or how about you find bolts stripped out, etc, etc.

believe me there are worse things to have happen. Ive replaced the topend on mine, did the work myself-believe me its EASY, timing chain, clutch, etc, etc. About all I havent ever done is taken the bottom end apart of one of these things-and Im sure with a few hours and the manual I could figure it out.

Im sorry to say but Im 10 years older than you bud. Ive been there and done that and learned alot-you can only polish a turd so much before it crumbles. Thing is if you dont fix it right now and go and race it or even take it for a spin its gonna blow. Maybe your mechanics wrong-and I hope for your sake he is! But thing is if it is bad and you continue to use it it will blow up and your motor will be a hunk of scrap aluminum. Then you can be spending BIG bucks on a new/used motor. Better yet, your mechanic charges outrageous prices-that price is about 3/4 what a dealer would get! I would find some one else and get a 2nd opinion.

My advice-hold off repairing it if you dont have the cash, find someone cheaper too if you can. If you need a truck start saving and find a reliable truck-maybe not exactly what you want-but something that will do the job and not break the bank. Do you really think I wanted a 92 F150, stick 2wd truck as my first car when alot of people got nicer stuff from thier parents? HELL NO! But it was reliable, did the job, I learned how to drive stick better, and most important of all was I learned the value of earning my stuff and not getting it handed to me-you value your stuff much more if it goes that way.

Sucks to be you, but either fix it now or be sorry later. Dont mean to come across as a jerk-but the voice of experience is trying to explain why you need to fix it right the first time.

Friend of mine long ago had this epithet: "buy once, cry once!" In other words, cry about buying it now-but buy or fix whatever it is right and you avoid the bs and problems later.

As a final note, at least the motor is still good right now. Ill trade you (well I sold it for scrap really but if I did have it I'd trade ya) a 86 suzuki 230 sport. It was ok, it was beat, but it ran. It leaked oil, I lent it to a friend and TOLD him to add oil and check it. I got it back with the piston punched thru the side of topend and shattered into tiny pieces. he didnt even offer any compensation, and needless to say I wont ever let him borrow anything, let alone really speak to him anymore. I bought it for 700 bucks and wound up getting less than 100 and I had an extra engine!

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I feel for ya dude. I'm looking at a older style chevy. I dont wanna spend anymore than $4000 on a truck.

hocman123
03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I feel for ya dude. I'm looking at a older style chevy. I dont wanna spend anymore than $4000 on a truck.

4,000 i spent 500 on my first truck and i still have it

CJM
03-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Knock that down to 2500-3000 and find something better. You can and will find plenty of uses trucks for 2500 bucks if you look hard enough. Plenty of good (maybe beat up looking a bit-but who cares so long as it runs well!) F series and chevy trucks out there. My advice, find a 90-97 truck with a 6 cylinder in it. Unless you need to tow massive amounts of weight, the 6 will do everything you want, get decent mpg and require little to no work.

I personally like fords with the straight 6-they cant die unless you run them out of oil and drive them 4 hours..

Could always buy a ranger too, please dont buy a pos s10 tho-if you think the blaster was a money pit they are worse.

Best of luck!

400exmxrider15
03-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Not to be mean, but im a chevy man, I tend to go with the Effed Over Rebuilt Dodge term for ford. I've seen way to many of them here at the place I work and it has drawn me away from them. I need the V8 cause I'll be hauling boats and stuff during the summer. Plus a 4 wheeler in the back Parents said they would chip in about $2500...I dont want a nice, new looking truck for my first vehicle because of the fact of my truck getting keyed in my highschool parking lot

2001400exrida
03-06-2011, 07:46 AM
do you ever go to Redbird IN?

we're heading there the weekend of the 19th.

CJM
03-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Not to go too of topic, if you want a chevy and need the V8 then find the 5.3L or an older 350. Dont buy anything with a 6.0-they knock horribly.

400exmxrider15
03-06-2011, 09:59 AM
No, never have went to Redbird, I'm flying out to Arizona the night of the 17th. I have heard that the 6.0's knock horribly. I was looking at a 4.8 v8 but he is asking a $3200 and it has transmission problems...

Ruby Soho
03-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I just read this entire thread... wow

A crank is a simple fix. i see you think that you don't have enough time to do it yourself with highschool, but theres plenty of time. I can have a 400ex apart and back together in one night. they're very simple and straight forward especially with a clymer manual. 2 hours a night after school and work everyday is completely do able. find a new or used crank thats in good shape and put it in. I don't see the big deal. Ill even ship you my old clymer 400 manual.

A truck is more of priority, I would focus on that first.. quads and bikes are fun but in reality you need a vehicle to get to school and work. No way around that. You can easily find something cheaper than 4k, I spent 2k on my first truck which was a 1993 f150xl 4x4. I loved that thing and it was a 6 cylinder. I towed plenty of boats and trailers with that old thing. Granted when I tow with my powerstroke I don't feel a boat behind me when towing but I can do it just the same with a 6cyl 1/2 ton.

Be smart and make money with the truck, and take care of it.. it will take care of you.

After you sort your priorities out than buy the parts for the quad.. theres life outside of hobbies, when you get the money to do what you want then do it. Don't be hesitant.. just work, get the money, buy the parts and slap it together. Done deal.

Ruby Soho
03-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Knock that down to 2500-3000 and find something better. You can and will find plenty of uses trucks for 2500 bucks if you look hard enough. Plenty of good (maybe beat up looking a bit-but who cares so long as it runs well!) F series and chevy trucks out there. My advice, find a 90-97 truck with a 6 cylinder in it. Unless you need to tow massive amounts of weight, the 6 will do everything you want, get decent mpg and require little to no work.

I personally like fords with the straight 6-they cant die unless you run them out of oil and drive them 4 hours..

Could always buy a ranger too, please dont buy a pos s10 tho-if you think the blaster was a money pit they are worse.

Best of luck!

Funny you say that about the i6 fords, my old f150 I was talking about in my pervious post finally **** the bed on the kid I sold it to because he ran it dry of oil and coolant. First i6 300 I have ever seen die