PDA

View Full Version : LTR or New Walsh with RMZ engine

frank mb
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
I was thinking of putting a RMZ engine in a LTR frame. But last week I wrecked my LTR frame so maybe the new walsh frame is now also an option.

Probably converting a new ltr frame would be cheaper, but maybe in the long run a walsh hybrid would be cheaper.

And I want the rmz 09 engine in it, because I can get it quite cheap. Does anyone have suggestions.

List of mods to do to put a RMZ engine in the LTR frame:

Get the sprockets in line, it is a 12 mm offset now with the engine on left side against the swingarm

Make a alu fuel tank for the fuel pump

4 new engine frame mounts

cut the frame to accept low engine mount

making a new fuel line (does anyone know how I can make one? Because it is like the click system on the LTR)

mounts for the cdi etc.

cut ltr exhaust

allign intake. That is quite a job because the intake of the rmz engine is not straight but facing more to the left.

What else do I need to do?

NED441SUZ
03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Call Mike Walsh. I have asked him about it myself.

diangelo#67
03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
the reason the rmz motor is so cheap is because you need to replace the trans with earlier trans gears they chew up on the bike so they will for sure go out on the quad...mike used the 2010 crf for the lighter ignition and fuel injection, hondas new fuel injection weigh's almost nothing compared to even the rmz and thats lighter then the ltr. the ltr motor makes more power but the ignition is so heavy frame also....need to carb it

frank mb
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I did contact Mike, and I will not doubt that the new frame is killer. But it is expensive to switch. So would it be worth it? A RMZ in a ltr is also not very cheap.

And I have a crate engine that was for replacing the 08 engine of the rmz because those were recalled. And the European race teams tuner I talked with said that the engine is solid. Plus I'm backed by suzuki, so that is also why a rmz engine needs to go in the frame.

NED441SUZ
03-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I think you should lean toward the RMZ engined Walsh bike or RMZ engined LTR. If I had the cash at this point, I would send 2009 up RMZ engine to Walsh and make it happen. (This is just my preference) There is a thread on here about an RMZ engined LTR but it is a carbed bike and actually uses an LTR head. It is supposed to be much lighter than a regular LTR. The LTR frame is heavy but they sure as hell are hard to crack except for around the foot pegs. Since the new Walsh is gonna look like an LTR, it would just be neat to have a Suzuki power plant. I'm sure Walsh chose the Honda engine for many good reasons though. There are pluses and minuses to every build. As far as carbing fuel injected engine? Yes, that's great for weight reduction and other advantages,but I think it's best kept to Pro/Pro-Am level riders who have the resources for the added maintenance it requires. My opinions only