PDA

View Full Version : exhaust system help

new2400ex
03-03-2011, 12:00 PM
hi i wanted to know thats a good system to put on my 400ex it has a slip on white bro but i want a full system or what header should i get with the 1 i have on and info will help me a lot thanks

remember im new to this

pmg8134
03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
call white bros and see if you can send them the slip on to be modified for a head pipe. HMF hooked me up for $200 headpipe mods and shipping

01boneless
03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
a curtus sparks is about the best full system for the 400 but if you just wand a head pipe there the fmf powerbomb pipe

new2400ex
03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
what about ct racing are they good a friend told me to get it from them or hmf
i saw the hmf website and they are about 600 do you think i can get something better for that price

01boneless
03-03-2011, 05:18 PM
ya there real good pipes also lets put it this way you get what you pay for lol

BenHonda400ex
03-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by new2400ex
what about ct racing are they good a friend told me to get it from them or hmf
i saw the hmf website and they are about 600 do you think i can get something better for that price No I just looked it up they are going for 515.. I have the Curtis Sparks and I love it! The first time I started it up it woke me up... Hmf are low end exhaust, and Sparks are high end exhaust

tri5ron
03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
ya there real good pipes also lets put it this way you get what you pay for lol Not necessarily true.

Full systems give you about 1 ,(stock motor),to 2 hp (built high compression motor) Max,... and cost $560 (Curtis Sparks), plus shipping. That's $280 PER HP at Best case scenario.

A 450r carb, timing key, cam, slip-on, jetting, grinding the OEM Headpipe, etc, will pay off in greater returns, for less money.

400exmxrider15
03-04-2011, 10:00 PM
The HMF COMP Series has also got great feedback, friend of mine has one, pulls alot harder i think than my Yoshi.

BenHonda400ex
03-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Not necessarily true.

Full systems give you about 1 ,(stock motor),to 2 hp (built high compression motor) Max,... and cost $560 (Curtis Sparks), plus shipping. That's $280 PER HP at Best case scenario.

A 450r carb, timing key, cam, slip-on, jetting, grinding the OEM Headpipe, etc, will pay off in greater returns, for less money. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just wondering if you bought like the big core Spark Exhuast would make more horsepower

tri5ron
03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Here's an old article from DW. It shows most of the pipes available at the time. Any other pipes available today, would be mixed in the average of the examples shown.
Don't go get the idea that something miraculous has developed in the last few years reguarding the 400ex pipes,..... it hasn't, and it wont.
Like it or not,... the reality of it is, expensive full system pipes are a waste of money.
Louder does not necessarily mean more power, and your butt does NOT make a reliable dyno.

http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheels_march_2001.htm

DragonGunner
03-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Here's an old article from DW. It shows most of the pipes available at the time. Any other pipes available today, would be mixed in the average of the examples shown.
Don't go get the idea that something miraculous has developed in the last few years reguarding the 400ex pipes,..... it hasn't, and it wont.
Like it or not,... the reality of it is, expensive full system pipes are a waste of money.
Louder does not necessarily mean more power, and your butt does NOT make a reliable dyno.

http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheels_march_2001.htm

Hey, I've got that magazine! They weren't testing full pipes, just the exhaust pipe. Gains on top wasn't much improvement, it was in the low an mid range where some aftermarket improve over stock. I agree that full systems are a waste of money unless you got a really built motor. When I had my head ported they did most of the work on the intake, take too much out of the exhaust side an you increase the flow TOOOO much, which means slow....you need the right amount of back pressure. Increasing exhaust flow without increasing intake can yield not as good as desired results. I do believe a slip on exhaust, K&N filter, open airbox an rejet will yield 4-6 horsepower