PDA

View Full Version : 04 450r No Spark

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Alright guys, I have an 05 450r that I completely tore down this past fall and started to rebuild. I got a different frame and got it powdercoated and got my motor completely overhauled ( piston, rings, updated crank, head, valves, ect) due to a hole in my inner crankcase halve by the shifter and I cannot get the bike to spark. I have my headlights, tailight, and the old on/off switch eliminated from the bike. So heres how my setup is. I have all 3 of the stator plugs connected properly, the condenser, the CDI Box, the fan is hotwired to run all the time which is the blue plug, then I have a killswitch and it is grounded out the frame and the frame is rubbed down to bare metal, and then the coil is also grounded out to bare frame with another ground behind where it mounts at and then the little slider piece that slides onto the coil and then the thermostat plug. I also have a keyswitch and then the 2 plugs coming from the carb plugged in and then the rectifier. What could I be doing wrong here? Everything worked last year and now I cannot get anything. I even put a spark plug in the spark plug cap to see if that would work but still nothing. I seem to have electrical issues every year with this thing! I doubt it can be the stator because I bought a brand new one last year. I changed CDI Boxes out last May, the fan is newer.

I have a buddy that has an 05 and is letting me use his cdi, rectifier, condenser, and coil and plug to try so I will see if something is actually wrong. In the meantime, I want to hear your guys opinion on what the problem could be. Thanks a lot!

DnB_racing
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
before you do anything else remove the tether switch and check to see if you have continuity to ground from any of the black wires, or the black with white stripe wires to ground.. if you do have continuity it is a dead short and wont allow it to run

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I swapped out a buddy of mines rectifier, coil and spark plug cap and CDI and still no spark. Something I did not realize though is when you kick the bike the fan spins. I have my fan hotwired to run all the time so it must be getting power somewhere right? I swapped my stuff back on just to make sure none of my stuff was bad and then turned the key on and off. When the key is off the fan doesnt spin and when the key is on the fan does spin which is good. That eliminates the key switch being bad. But when I take the ground of the killswitch off the fan doesnt spin and when the ground is on it does spin. How would I take the killswitch off completely? Simply by removing the wire from hot and tapping it back up?

DnB_racing
03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
how do you have your kill wired now? what color wires and what type of kill switch,

electricity takes the easiest path to ground if you have something going to ground its easier path then the spark plug,
your kill switch should be on the black with white stripe and green wires or you can go to the frame instead of the green wire

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-04-2011, 08:24 AM
My killswitch was wired hot (white/black) to the main hot on the harness. The ground was wired to the fans ground because I hotwired it. I removed the killswitch and still no luck.

DnB_racing
03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
did you check the fuse?

EDIT :: never mind the 05 doesnt have one

arens310r
03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a weak stator, search 450r no spark

DnB_racing
03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by arens310r
Sounds like a weak stator, search 450r no spark he says he has a new stator, but at least he can compare his new windings resistance to the old to check if its good

383ysi
03-05-2011, 09:53 AM
check the wires you cut to remove the headlight, tailight and on/off switch....

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
How exactly do you check a stator with a digital meter? I printed out the wiring diagram and checked where each wire went to and everything checked out good with the meter, meaning no broken wires. The only thing left is the stator but the only one I know how to check is the 3P one with the 3 yellow wires coming from it. How do you check the ignition pulse generator and the exciter coil from the stator? The way I was reading the 3P connecter, which is the charging coil, is reading anywhere from 0.1 to 1.0 Ohms throughout each of the wires. How do you check the others?

I know this sounds really complicated, but would it work if I plugged my stator that is currently in my bike into another running bike to see if then that bike runs with my stator? I could have a buddy come over to do so if needed.

300racer
03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
didn't read all the post's so this might have already been said. but when you pc'd your frame did you grind the pc off where you are grounding to? might be the problem

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
didn't read all the post's so this might have already been said. but when you pc'd your frame did you grind the pc off where you are grounding to? might be the problem

I sanded down where the coil mounts to the frame, and a spot on the frame where the ground for the killswitch goes. Is there another ground I should be aware of?

DnB_racing
03-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
I sanded down where the coil mounts to the frame, and a spot on the frame where the ground for the killswitch goes. Is there another ground I should be aware of? the motor still need to make a good ground to the frame,,,, take a continuity reading from your motor to the coil ground, there should be continuity, if so your block is grounded properly... if there is no continuity all of the motor mounts could have some powder coat that needs cleaning ....you only need one mount clean

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-14-2011, 05:38 AM
The stator truely did end up being bad. That is the first thing to check IMO. This the 2nd one go bad in 2 years! One OEM went bad and the other brand I had was moose racing.