PDA

View Full Version : What years are reliable?

kbnorth99
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Sometime in the next year or so I am going to sell my 400ex and buy a 450. One of my top choices is the yfz of course. I have heard some folks say that some of the older years are not as reliable and the engines can require an above average amount of repairs.

As yfz owners what are your thoughts and experiences? Any years that are more reliable or just require less scheduled maintenance? Please keep in mind that I am not looking to bash on Yamaha or the yfz. I just started riding last year and I don't have a lot of experience with them yet and I want to see if there is any fact behind what I have heard or is it just someone talking out of there a** because they are loyal to a different brand.

I would be looking at buying a used yfz with NO engine mods so the effect of mods is not a concern to me. I won't be racing or if I do it would really just be for fun (I'm over 40 so I don't have any delusions about kicking everyones butt and becoming famous for racing). But I do love riding hard (for my skill level) and plan to continue to push myself.

So sound off for me guys. Enlighten me.

Ride1Rob
03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
The 06 and up motors are alil better in terms of lubrication. What that being said the older model years (Like my 04) can be modded to have the same lubrication mods done. One thing you have to remember is that all the 450's are race engines and are alot more aggressive on the internals. So no matter what brand you purchase it'll be more maintnance than what you're currently riding. Pick your poison and enjoy it ;)