PDA

View Full Version : any problems with 08 450er's?

moshachusetts
03-02-2011, 02:27 PM
i'm looking at picking up a leftover 08 450r electric start

any known problems with them?

Thanks

Scro
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Don't give it gas while cranking. It will cause problems with the starter clutch.

moshachusetts
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Don't give it gas while cranking. It will cause problems with the starter clutch.

Really? How well does it start without giving it gas? My 400ex is a ***** to start, I have to give it lots of gas to get it started and I've read that others have the same problem with their 400's

Can a kick start be added? And is it costly or hard to install?

jpfmotors
03-02-2011, 04:06 PM
yes a kicker can be added a little price 3-4 hundred done properly all 450rs start fine with electric if the jetting is good and the valves stay adjusted

Trx450er94
03-06-2011, 08:37 AM
i picked up a 08 leftover i love it nothing wrong so far other than its really narrow

moshachusetts
03-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I've read that some people have a really hard time starting the bike once its hot, like takes them 5 minutes trying to start them. Is this just a case of a few people or is this a known problem across the board? I plan on piping and jetting it right away, would that solve the problem or make it harder to tune?

My 400ex is hard to start when cold but never a problem when hot. And my yfz isn't a problem to start either way.

If I get this 450r I don't want starting problems as this will become my new woods bike

Trx450er94
03-13-2011, 12:48 PM
i wouldnt say it takes 5 minutes to start while hot but it dont take a few seconds longer

MX450
03-13-2011, 12:56 PM
i have a kicker but i can always get mine to start on the 1-3rd kick, hot or not, and I never give it gas. If your valves are adjusted properly and your battery is charged you shouldnt have a problem starting it. Personaly i would get a kicker or at least convert it. I dont like e start bikes.

DnB_racing
03-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by moshachusetts
i'm looking at picking up a leftover 08 450r electric start

any known problems with them?

Thanks Right now im running a 06er with kick and duel batteries, it has many motor mods, and starts by almost looking at the start button!!!

personally I love the button, but in case of failure i have the kick backup, I like the option of both and its a little easier to add the kick to an er then to add the start to a kicker,so I would say if your not sure if someone else riding it wont be able to kick it, then get the er,

if its for mx only then kicker all the way

if for trail use then the button, I dont know how many times Ive been sitting on the edge of a drop off,and thanked god I had the button!!!
with the addition of the second battery makes it the absolute best starting quad I've ever owned!!

were in Mass are you located???

rollie
03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
The first thing i would do is get rid of the E-start, mine was ok when the motor was bone stock, but as soon as i did much to it, the starter clutch was junk. switched to kick and never looked back, starts awesome all the time and soooo many less wires to deal with, even if i just rode in trails i would get a kicker.

And theres no point in buying an 08 if you can find a cheap 06-07, because there exactly the same bikes.

moshachusetts
03-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by rollie
The first thing i would do is get rid of the E-start, mine was ok when the motor was bone stock, but as soon as i did much to it, the starter clutch was junk. switched to kick and never looked back, starts awesome all the time and soooo many less wires to deal with, even if i just rode in trails i would get a kicker.

And theres no point in buying an 08 if you can find a cheap 06-07, because there exactly the same bikes.

If I could find a leftover 06-07 I would, but 08 is all I could find

DnB_racing
03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by rollie

And theres no point in buying an 08 if you can find a cheap 06-07, because there exactly the same bikes. actually with the duel batteries the starter clutch engages without any slip,ever since i put in the 2nd battery Ive had no issues with the starter clutch at all, and as far as wires mine is stripped down less then most kick starts,

it all depends on what you want, if you want fast starts estart with2 batteries is the fastest method of starting I have ever tried, and the most dependable!! and ive had all types

Dave400ex
03-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
actually with the duel batteries the starter clutch engages without any slip,ever since i put in the 2nd battery Ive had no issues with the starter clutch at all, and as far as wires mine is stripped down less then most kick starts,

it all depends on what you want, if you want fast starts estart with2 batteries is the fastest method of starting I have ever tried, and the most dependable!! and ive had all types

I'd still rather have kick for the holeshot over the dual batteries. The kicker seems to be faster. Alot of guys do both at the same time. 08er's are fine. For play riding you don't need a kick only or a second battery. Also it is very hard to even find a kick only 450r at this point.

Dbarker42
03-14-2011, 08:16 PM
i have had my leftover 08 for a month and have no problems starting it, and never heard of waiting 5 minutes after its hot, mine starts just fine hot or cold, just gotta choke it at first if its been really cold out. just don't hit the gas on start up, like someone else stated, they really made that a point a the dealership when i got mine

quad71
03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
There is no hot start on the er so my 07 did not like to start if i stalled. the 08-09 have a new decompresion set up on the ers dont know if they start better sounds like dual battery set up solves problem.

quad2xtreme
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by quad71
There is no hot start on the er so my 07 did not like to start if i stalled. the 08-09 have a new decompresion set up on the ers dont know if they start better sounds like dual battery set up solves problem.

was going to say the same..the 08-09 is not exactly the same as 06-07. I knew the cam was different when I installed the HRC kit on my wife's 2008 versus my 2006. I can't say her's started any easier though. To me, it seems to be more about tuning and valve adjustment that the decompression mechanism.