PDA

View Full Version : The Dilemma

UnderFire
03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Well, I love my 400ex, but I have always been a 2-Stroke Guy at heart, I love the sound, smell, and feel of 2 strokes.

I have ridden a KX80 and a Blaster in the past, and just loved it.

But I'm really having trouble with this decision...

I want to get a 250r or a banshee, but that may mean selling my 400ex, and maybe losing some of the trail ability of a 4 stroke, and the ability to have it start every time...

So, in your opinion, what should I do, sell the ex and buy a 2 Stroke, keep the EX and live with the constant urge to buy a 2 Stroke, or wait a year and have both to choose from.

Also on a side note, should I get the R or the Shee, I ride pretty much strictly Dunes, and there is no shortage of either one in my area.

slightlybent47
03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
The 2 stroke will require way more maintenance for sure. You’ll lose that great low end torque too. My ex smells just like a two stroke, it’s the fuel you know.lol
A banshee will be a ***** to keep running.

brian76708
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
The 2 stroke will require way more maintenance for sure. You’ll lose that great low end torque too. My ex smells just like a two stroke, it’s the fuel you know.lol
A banshee will be a ***** to keep running.

u make it sound like 2 strokes blow up every other day. but in reality when they do brake its a lot cheaper to fix compared to a 4 stroke.

if it was me id get a 250r and build it. unless all you want to do is go in a straight line then get a banshee.

TheLane
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah shees are fast top end heavy beasts. I think you should just get a rappy700 if your a duner.

Or the 250. Hands down.

wilkin250r
03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I feel your pain, man.

Personally, I say both, but I'm probably jaded because of my particular situation. I do a lot of dune riding, but my house is next to miles and miles of open public land and fire roads. I can't ride my 250r near my house, it's too high-strung. Whenever I try, I'm constantly looking for wide-open areas to open her up and let it clean out. I can't stand that thing in tight terrain. So I ride my wife's 400EX instead.

Hell, I'll even opt for riding the Polaris Trailblazer in tight trails, rather than my 250r. And the Trailblazer sucks. It's probably 500lbs, and 20hp. Top speed of 30mph, and I'd STILL rather ride that than my 250r on the trails.

If your trails are wide open, you could probably get by with the 250r, or if your 250r is built for low-end grunt. But if they're anything like my trails, the 250r just won't work.

jcs003
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
get a 250r. they are great at everything. i had a yamaha warrior, banshee and a 400ex before i had a trx250r, and the 250r does everything the other can do and do it better. i actually raced the 400ex and wish i had a 250r back then so i wouldnt of been losing to them.

UnderFire
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I should have mentioned this, but I will be keeping the whole engine stock no matter what.

I like the raptor, but not enough to own one, I hate fuel injection, since its a pain in the *** to work with and I don't really feel comfortable working on or riding my dad's 660.

Sand Lake is a lot of open dune, but there are a lot of back trails that I have seen banshees on, but not alot of 250's.

My dream bike is an 88 250r, so I think I will just save my money until I have enough to buy it, and have the ex for trails and riding with the family, and the R for when I just want to go fast.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hondamaster5505
03-03-2011, 09:01 PM
So much hate for banshee's on this site.

To the guy who said banshee's are a "*****" to keep running, why don't you actually look into what you are talking about?

Dead honestly, my banshee starts easier and much more consistently then my 400ex EVER did. A few kicks and she fires over. The engine in general is an extremely simple design which is ridiculously easy to work on, and quite frankly, very reliable. Most banshee's that "blow up" or "need a top end rebuild all the time" are not tuned correctly. People buy these things, think they're a tuning pro, and never bother sync'ing the carbs, run it too lean, etc.

When tuned it properly you will get a lot of worry-free fun out of it.

Heavy? Sorry but your 450's are about the same weight.

I would say get the 250R if you did a lot of trail riding also. But for just strictly dunes like you said, I would opt for the banshee. The top end is just wicked and makes it an excellent duner. The modifications are endless. You won't be missing that "low end torque" after you get addicted to the power and options of the banshee.

I love 450's and other 4-strokes, but will take my banshee any day over one. Just my opinion.

2-stroke for life.:p

krt400ex
03-04-2011, 12:38 PM
the only answer i could possibly give you is to buy a 250r. they are plenty rideable in the woods if you should choose, and as far as starting, if the jetting is correct, they will start within 3 kicks everytime. maintenance is cheaper on them and much easier. when the engine has to be rebuilt, its simply piston and rings. they are light and handle very much like the 400ex so you will feel right at home on it. and slightly bent, fuel may have something to do with it, but if you are mixing it is always going to smell different. and in my opinion it is always going to smell better lol.