PDA

View Full Version : Subframe Question

hilltop_83
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I have a question.....My current setup is an '05 450R, with an '06 swing arm, DeRisi linkage and shock rebuilt, I put on a JB lowered sub frame and rode a little bit, it is one inch lower than my stock sub frame...
my question is can i cut a little bit off the bottom where it is adjustable to make it a little lower?
Any help or suggestions would be awsome.
thaks

MX450
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I would imagine you would start running into clearance issues with everything, airbox, carb, brakes, exhaust ect.. I dont think you want to go much lower than an inch, thats why the aftermarket companies only make it adjustable so much

hilltop_83
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
very good point, but would an 1/16" or 1/8" be to much? being i dont have long travel suspension in the rear

mx Eli
03-02-2011, 08:05 PM
i was looking at this idea last night and if you start looking at the air box you see that even with the seat on the air box could be raised almost another 2 inch's to make cearence. to have the boot make the extra bend i'v heard people just heat it up and form it to whatever you need. I like have my quad low in the rear so I might be trying to make my own subframe that lowers seat as much as possible and raises the air box enough to make clerence. Also one thing is once you start lower the subframe just by shortening the bottom mount/tube, it only lowers the back of the seat and not the front. to go around this I want to lower the front of the rear plastic mounts and lower the rear of the gas tank. I'm hoping for at least 2 inch's lower seat height.

hilltop_83
03-03-2011, 06:41 PM
i have my air box lid off and i putt the seat on and just drilled new holes and put new bolts in and had no problems with the air boot. the reason i wanted to cut a little more off the bottom is that i think it would make more of a difference going through a whoop section, and im 6'2" so i really dont have a problem cornering. i just figured it would give me a little more of an advantage through the whoops and rough stuff.

roostX400
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
If you keep on lowering it you will run into other problems. Pipe hitting the motor, pipe hitting axle, rear brakes wont work right, more pull on your air tube will pull off carb or motor, front of seat comes off, plastics crack and so on. Just leave it or buy the walsh lowering kit. I know this cause i have cut stock sub frames and walsh ones lower to see what i could come up with. Ive junked about 4 sub frames. Trust me dont do it. Just leave it and ride. Cut your seat foam down if you need that little bit more.

DEVINF450R
03-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by roostX400
If you keep on lowering it you will run into other problems. Pipe hitting the motor, pipe hitting axle, rear brakes wont work right, more pull on your air tube will pull off carb or motor, front of seat comes off, plastics crack and so on. Just leave it or buy the walsh lowering kit. I know this cause i have cut stock sub frames and walsh ones lower to see what i could come up with. Ive junked about 4 sub frames. Trust me dont do it. Just leave it and ride. Cut your seat foam down if you need that little bit more.

What this guy said.
as for airbox, I cut the top of mine off and raised it up and forward so it made the carb harder to fall off

hilltop_83
03-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I was just tryin to find a way around buying a $1500 lowering kit compared to a couple hundred dollar sub frame. Ill leave it until i do a rebuild and then i might get the lowering kit