PDA

View Full Version : Think I got my gearing nailed down. BOOYA

Thumpin440ex
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Well after I put my bike back together last april, got it tuned in most of the way, I noticed that it did not have that hard snap like I wanted down low, mid.. If I had put a stg 2 cam in it instead of a 3 I might have been happy with it but I opted for the high end stg 3 cam.. Also dropped to a 36t rear sprocket.. The bike would still walk a pipped,jetted 400ex out of the gate pretty good, but I just wanted more. So I slapped on a JT 14t front sprocket.. Man what a freaking diff, it is a new bike, will pull up in 4th gear.. Now to hit the trails and hopefully it puts me back in the sweet spot again.. With the 15-38 gearing it was either lugging or topped out, had to shift more then I liked... I lost a few MPH on the top end, but it gets there alot faster now( at least feels that way).. Still have a bike that runs in the low 80's on the top side. Very happy with it now.. Next is a lightened fly wheel. That should make it the perfect bike for me.. Plenty power for my riding, wth you can only use so much in trials.. :D

John

MisterGraphic
03-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Good stuff man!!
Since it seems you tried different setups, can I get your opinion ?

How do you think 14/37 would work with 22" 4 snow tires ?
Then I could switch to 15/37 in summer when I run the 20" tires.

Just looking for some input cause I never really played with gearing before.

Thumpin440ex
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
To be honest I would stick with the 14-37 gearing.. It will still have plenty of balls imo.. The 22'' tires will def slow it down bottom-mid.. I used this to help me out. Seems to work pretty good, be pretty accurate.. Gonna gps my bike, see how close it is.. Here is the calc

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

John

MisterGraphic
03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks John!

I'll give it a try and report :)

GPS results will be nice to see!
You should do a run in each gear to get the maximum speed of each gears.

(Top out first gear, look at max speed, top out second gear, look at max speed and so on)

quad2xtreme
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Well after I put my bike back together last april, got it tuned in most of the way, I noticed that it did not have that hard snap like I wanted down low, mid.. If I had put a stg 2 cam in it instead of a 3 I might have been happy with it but I opted for the high end stg 3 cam.. Also dropped to a 36t rear sprocket.. The bike would still walk a pipped,jetted 400ex out of the gate pretty good, but I just wanted more. So I slapped on a JT 14t front sprocket.. Man what a freaking diff, it is a new bike, will pull up in 4th gear.. Now to hit the trails and hopefully it puts me back in the sweet spot again.. With the 15-38 gearing it was either lugging or topped out, had to shift more then I liked... I lost a few MPH on the top end, but it gets there alot faster now( at least feels that way).. Still have a bike that runs in the low 80's on the top side. Very happy with it now.. Next is a lightened fly wheel. That should make it the perfect bike for me.. Plenty power for my riding, wth you can only use so much in trials.. :D

John

what gearing are you running now 14/36 or 14/38?

Thumpin440ex
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes i will def report back gps numbers

Current gearing

14-36 :)

John

Thumpin440ex
03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Well just went for a gps run. I think my gps had a weak signal. I only could do 1 run, to many people out in the neighbor hood.. 61 mph is def not right, it was faster then that stock with a stock cdi.. Gona put this in my truck and take it down to the farm, where I can get a clear gps signal..

John

quad2xtreme
03-02-2011, 05:01 PM
with 14/36 gearing and 20" tires, you need 9,763 RPMs to hit 80 mph.

Thumpin440ex
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
with 14/36 gearing and 20" tires, you need 9,763 RPMs to hit 80 mph.

Yah I am prob at about 10k. Running a sparks CDI..