PDA

View Full Version : Starter/starting issue maybe?? Get in here

Thumpin440ex
03-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Ok I am not totally alarmed about this, but does not seem to be normal. I have the bike in my sig.. I am using a gsxr1000 battery to start this thing.. I get a sound when cranking the bike, that seems like the starter and fly wheel are kicking back on one another a clanking sound. Once the bike starts it is like a normal bike. no noises out of the ord at all. Just wondering if the battery is trying to winde the starter to fast.. It is not a crank or any internal issue, def is starter related.. Anybody else exp this sort of thing??

Thanks John

400exmxrider15
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
please explain more....When i hit my start button sometimes, it wont turn over, it will click as if something is holding the starter from turning over...Came to find out, the little starter brushes get corrosion on them of some sort and get all nasty, for $15, with normal tools (ratchets screw drivers) you can replace those brushes...thats my experience, let me know if thats what its doing (clicking)

camaromitch
03-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I think I'm having the same problem you are. It sounds like someone jammed a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth sometimes when it won't start? and sometimes it will just start right up?

I don't know either, but I look forward to finding out. I don't know that for $15 it wouldn't be worth replacing the brushes just in case like mxrider said.

Thumpin440ex
03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Mine does that on occasions also, what you guys said. I would def think the starter is prob a little corroded, the solenoid could be going out. Yah some times it will just click, pull a hard draw on tha battery.. This isn't any of that thought. This sounds like fly wheel to starter gear clanking.. Hmmm

John

tri5ron
03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
John,
Just out of curiosity,
Have you ever had the flywheel off?
Is it possible for it to have gotten loose any?

Have you tried pulling the starter gear cover, spacer, and gear, to see if there is any visable wear or damage ?
(it's only 2 bolts, and easy to do)

honda400ex2003
03-01-2011, 06:30 PM
also check out the clutch side and check over the plates. one of the fiber plates could be worn and making i grind when it slips around a bit on hard accels. just another option to check.

steve

Thumpin440ex
03-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
John,
Just out of curiosity,
Have you ever had the flywheel off?
Is it possible for it to have gotten loose any?

Have you tried pulling the starter gear cover, spacer, and gear, to see if there is any visable wear or damage ?
(it's only 2 bolts, and easy to do)

Fly wheel has never been off the bike.. Like I said if it def isn't a internal issue, such as the crank or anything.. I will pull the started to take a lookie.. Oil looks fine, no metal or anything.. Just a freaking hell of a sound like every 3rd-4th crank..

As for the clutch plates, no way in hell they are bad lol. Brand new hinson clutch went in last april, might have 10 hours ride time on it.. No sounds at all when it is running this is STRICTLY on start/cranking over... Thanks

honda400ex2003
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
lol sorry i missed that i guess when i was on the school computer. lol steve