PDA

View Full Version : Axle/spindle nut sizes.

Burns310r
03-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Realized that i dont have large enough sockets to take off my axle nut or my spindle hub nuts.

What sizes are they ? 22mm for the front and 24mm for the rear?

josborn
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
The rear hub nuts at the axles take a 27mm socket. The front hub nuts at the spindle take a 19mm, I think. Thats assuming the front nuts are stock 250r. You may want to post a pic of the fronts to be sure, because I think 86-87 had bigger ones.

SilverLake250R
03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Like I posted in your other thread, 1 1/16 in = 26.99mm, works for the axle nuts and the clutch center nut.

Burns310r
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Im not a big fan of using standard wrenches on a metric nut. I know it works, but you also have a greater chance of messing up the nut to.

ALso i have no standard wrench that large. So i still got to buy new socket regardless. Might as well be the right one.

Thanks everyone for the help.

SilverLake250R
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I normally agree with you Kyle, just letting you know this one is less than a thousandth difference... in case you run across a 1 1/16" wrench or socket.

wilkin250r
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Burns310r
Im not a big fan of using standard wrenches on a metric nut. I know it works, but you also have a greater chance of messing up the nut to.

And I normally agree as well. However, I make an exception on this.

Normally, a socket or wrench is obviously slightly larger than the actual nut, in order to fit around it. I don't know the actual specs for all of them, but I know for a 3/8 bolt, the wrench is about 0.012 larger than the bolt head, and that tolerance grows as the nuts get larger.

In the case of a 1-1/16 vs 27mm, the 1-1/6 is just slightly smaller, which means it will actually hold tighter and better than a 27mm.

01shee
03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Sorry for the high jack. But how would a person get or cut off a stuck axle nut. Bought a axle awhile ago for my build. Came with one aftermarket hub. Now i know why. Nut is stuck stuck. Broke a breaker bar on it. Tried heat pb blaster. Any ideas would be marvelous.

wilkin250r
03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
That's tough. My first strategy would be more heat and a big impact gun. The repeated blows of the impact gun have a nice way of breaking loose stubborn bolts.

If that either doesn't work, or it's impossible, then I would probably personally take a dremel tool, a dozen cut-off wheels, and a couple hours cutting a groove into that sucker right down the length of it. Just be careful not to cut too deep and ruin the threads.

Once I had a nice deep groove, a chisel and hammer to split that little *******.

But I think I was born with a dremel in my hand, so that's obviously my solution to everything. Somebody else might have a better idea.

86 Quad R
03-03-2011, 07:17 AM
i've ran into this many a time and have always got then free by heat, penetrating oil and a "good" air impact with lots of air pressure.

Big Roost R
03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
If you had to split it id opt for a cutoff wheel would take a lot less time. Me and a buddy ran into that awhile back only on ours it was nearly impossible to spin on the inner threaded nut because the threads were boogered up. We just got a really big pair of channel locks and one held onto it while the other one pried with a big pipe wrench.