PDA

View Full Version : Side money

Moto49X
02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Lets keep this clean and legal. I don't really come on here anymore but back in the day alot of people always had good advice.

With the economy, having kids and a mortgage is getting rough. (I'm only 22, btw) Business has been at a freeze and not growing, forcing me to take another 40hr/wk job.

I'm looking for ideas to make a little extra money, legally. Whether it is $50 a week or a few hundred. Willing to invest in something also if it will give me a good return. I appreciate any tips or ideas that anyone can give me.

trailrider894
02-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
Lets keep this clean and legal. I don't really come on here anymore but back in the day alot of people always had good advice.

With the economy, having kids and a morgage is getting rough. (I'm only 22, btw) Business has been at a freeze and not growing, forcing me to take another 40hr/wk job.

I'm looking for ideas to make a little extra money, legally. Whether it is $50 a week or a few hundred. Willing to invest in something also if it will give me a good return. I appreciate any tips or ideas that anyone can give me.

Something I have found, is just doing little repairs for people. I have done everything from clearing brush to power washing houses. If you have good gas powerwasher, you would be surprised the amount of people who would pay to have there house power washed. I once washed one persons house and while washing it i had about 3 people stop by to ask if i could do there's also. $50's turned in to $200 in about one afternoon,

CJM
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Something I have found, is just doing little repairs for people. I have done everything from clearing brush to power washing houses. If you have good gas powerwasher, you would be surprised the amount of people who would pay to have there house power washed. I once washed one persons house and while washing it i had about 3 people stop by to ask if i could do there's also. $50's turned in to $200 in about one afternoon, agreed, handyman work if you can find it will net you some good cash.

88redrocket
02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
If you have a truck than I would consider making some scrap metal runs...put adds up to remove anything made of metal and just look around you can find stuff everywhere... Also I got $75 for 8 car batterys at the scrap yard last week, So keep a eye out for those as well.

Moto49X
02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm looking for more of a business opportunity I could set up in my garage, so when i'm up through the night I could go out and work. But i'm still open for ideas.

I do currently own a landscape business ranging from mowing to hardscape and landscape, pressure washing, and asphault sealcoating. My other job I have taken is a General Contractor working at ADM (large industrial plant).

I do have multiple trailers and a diesel truck if needed.

Flyin_250r
02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
The problem is with the economy being slow, most are holding onto their money even tighter. I take on small jobs painting in the evenings etc to get by. Youd be surprised what people will pay to have a room painted. A sprayer only costs a couple hundred bucks. Basically everyone can paint, but not many have the time or the patience. I bring in an extra couple hundred bucks a week working in the evenings doing peoples houses. Plus, the word travels quick and sometimes I get more than I can even handle. Might be something to think about.... its cheap to get started. 6ft ladder, few brushes and some rollers is all you need. Very cheap

sixer3
03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
I'm looking for more of a business opportunity I could set up in my garage, so when i'm up through the night I could go out and work. But i'm still open for ideas.

I do currently own a landscape business ranging from mowing to hardscape and landscape, pressure washing, and asphault sealcoating. My other job I have taken is a General Contractor working at ADM (large industrial plant).

I do have multiple trailers and a diesel truck if needed.

Hmm, sounds like your best bet might be to invest in some advertising for your small business. Business cards and flyers are a small investment really. Also a site or blog is free to set up even with basic knowledge. I can help with that for free if you want. Even facebook pages have been known to be great free advertising. I work in paid search engine marketing which is HUUUGE for marketing but pretty spendy and I don't see your return on investment too high there really. Try all the free low cost stuff though and maybe you'll get enough work in your small specialty business which is something you already know and are good at. Another point for that i can't stress enough is building a client base. Getting people who you've done work for to want you to come back to them when they need something else done. you want yourself to be the first person they think of. also when i first looked into this about a month ago I said what the hell and set up a cooking blog for my girlfriend....right now I'm only making maybe $2 a day in advertising on the actual site. If it ever happen to get even somewhat big at least to where it shows up on google for recipe searches I could potentially be making a lot more. There's blogs making upwards of $5,000 a day just in advertising. these sites have millions of visitors but it can be interesting. stripedgreentomatoes.blogspot.com is the site I set up with extremely basic knowledge of any kind of web and graphic design

sorry for a long post :) g/l this economy sucks but is hopefully turning around

ZeroLogic
03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
I build furniture (indoor and outdoor) on the side. I really don't charge much because its more of a hobby for me. This spring I'm going to throw together a few out door chairs and start hanging fliers. Hopping that will bring some extra money in for me.

Might be something to think about. Its not all to hard to throw a few outdoor chairs together.

Good luck!

IRISH-RACER-14
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
i buy and sell. i started with nothing and within the space of a year i now have some nice mods on the 300ex. a yz125 and loads more cash left over.

250rsforlife
03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
i buy and sell. i started with nothing and within the space of a year i now have some nice mods on the 300ex. a yz125 and loads more cash left over.

I do the exact same thing it keeps a nice chuck of change in my pocket when it goes right just basically look for deals on quads with blown motors fix that then sell it thats what i do and it works so far :D

IRISH-RACER-14
03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by 250rsforlife
I do the exact same thing it keeps a nice chuck of change in my pocket when it goes right just basically look for deals on quads with blown motors fix that then sell it thats what i do and it works so far :D

i usually sell phones and things in the 100euro price mark. id often get somthing for 30euro and sell for 150. im only 16 and im doing alot better than all my friends cause of this.

250rsforlife
03-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
i usually sell phones and things in the 100euro price mark. id often get somthing for 30euro and sell for 150. im only 16 and im doing alot better than all my friends cause of this.
yep same here i mostly stick with quads tho but every now and then i might get somethin out of the ordinary

CJM
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I do simple mechanic work on the side, but with people not repairing thier junk cause of no money its all but dried up.

rbgnwa45
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Scrap metal pays pretty good sometimes.

I'm going to start making simple recommended-spec subwoofer boxes for dual SSA DCON 10's & 12's - 2.5 @ 37 & 4.5 @ 32 PM for details. Might turn $20 into $100 every hour.

ricksmx865
03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Scrap metal pays pretty good sometimes.

I'm going to start making simple recommended-spec subwoofer boxes for dual SSA DCON 10's & 12's - 2.5 @ 37 & 4.5 @ 32 PM for details. Might turn $20 into $100 every hour.

I used to make custom sub boxes but just kinda got burnt out on it..

No a days I do custom airbrush, and other design work on the side. Ive built and painted a lot of 1 off cornhole boards lately. also will help with buddies landscaping company whenever...

I work 2nd and its a desk job.. so anytime i can get out and do something with my hands during the day is a big plus for me!

jherbie28
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
i sell firewood on the side, its back breaking work by yourself but with some friends its not to bad. check some local tree companys believe it or not they will give you wood for free to get rid of it. i sold about 8 cords anywhere last season from $100-$200 each. nice money for odds and ends

good luck buddy youll find something