PDA

View Full Version : how would this be for an Mx setup?

Juggalo
02-15-2003, 11:15 PM
ok this is what i'm plannin on doin really soon but i'm not sure how it'll work out so if anybody has this setup or thinks they know what it would be like let me know. right now i have a hotcams stage 1 that i haven't installed yet. i'm also planning on buying a 426 piston 11:1 compression. i am looking for a little more power all around compared to stock but mostly a little more top end . so i want to put in that piston, cam, and grind the welds out of my header. do you think this will be a decent boost in power over stock or do you think i should sell the cam and save up more and get a different setup?

Evan
02-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Theres not a doubt in my mind which cam is the best, thats the Sparks cam, but you will need valve springs for it. If you just need a lil more go juice, Id say get some kind of drop in cam, ie white bros track cam, TC MX cam, and the webb 450 are all the same cam and a good cam that doesnt need springs. Go with a 416 bore, and a 11:1 comp and you should be fine, I dont reccomend a 425. BTW with that hotcam, u will need to have your flange pressed on, and it aint the greatest thing in the world, they are known for coming off. JMO

Sparks425Ex
02-16-2003, 08:34 AM
I would stick with a 416. In my opinion the 426 is a waste for the little improvments over the 416.

I say sell the cam and get a Sparks Drop In. or a Web.

Dave400ex
02-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Get the TC MX Cam it is a true Drop-In.

02-16-2003, 08:57 AM
if u want top end get the hot cams stage 2 the 1 is for low end i believe

Juggalo
02-16-2003, 11:28 AM
yeah see thats what i'm worried about. i don't want a lot more bottom end. i need more power in the midrange and some up top. second i knew most people would tell me to go 416 over the .120 over but i dunno i'm just partial to that bore (and yes i know the downfalls, ie: extremely thin sleeve ect). also i can't find a 416 for the same price i'm gonna get my 425 piston for. so i guess the question i really need answered is my quad gonna be a low end monster with the higher comp piston and stage 1? or is it gonna be all around power or more top end or what? cuz thats the setup i am really after.

Evan
02-16-2003, 11:45 AM
the sparks is a mid-top cam, pulls hard too, much harder than the others, because it is designed for MX, where u are on the gas most of the time and need mid range. For an example of how hard it pulls in midrange-u know how hard your 400 pulls from 1st and 2nd>... take that power add a lil bit more to that, and do that in 3rd and 4th gear and thats what the sparks cam feels like. I guess it has more bottom end than stock, but you dont feel it because it pulls so hard in the mid range. trust me with this cam you will be looking for 6th gear all the time even with 16t front sprocket. Go with the 416, there is very lil if any power diff between the 2(425). My best explanation when I went from a 416 12.5 to a 425 13:1 was, the 416 was snappier, revved good, I liked it the best, the 425 was a lil smoother with a lil more torque not much but some, not enough to make me want to run it again. Plus if something happens with the 416, you got one more bore left.

Juggalo
02-16-2003, 12:49 PM
well i'd like to get a better cam but i can't afford to buy a cam and get the rockers hardened and better springs ect. i wouldn't even have the cam i have now if i didn't get the deal of a lifetime on it.

YZROOSTINYA
02-16-2003, 05:39 PM
you'll be fine. stick with what you have