PDA

View Full Version : oil question

07blk400
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
i just did a 426 rebuild. filled the tank/engine with 2.5 quarts of oil. rode for about 4 hours. checked the oil barely reads on the dip stick. so filed it to the full mark which was about .5 of a quart. parked for a over night rode for the next day for 4 hours . again checked oil barely read on dip stick added another .5 of a quart, parked for two weeks. checked for leaks oil spots on the ground. no visible oil leaks . checked oil still was full so took for another 4 hour rides same thing was low add .5 ran for about 30 more min to determine if smoke is coming out of the tail pipe it. no visible smoke was seen. so i did a oil change drained crank and tank changed filter. oil draned was 2.5 quarts. so my question is where do you think the other quart and a half ened up?

CJM
02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
When you fully rebuild sometimes you lose alot more oil than if you had just changed it normally. I know I lost about a half a quart more when I did my topend.

No idea where the other extra oil wound up-other than the above where I said it could possibly lower than the usual 2qt change.

How are you checking the oil? Proper procedure is to let warm up at idle for about 15 mins and shut it down. Yank stick and check then. I to be on the safe side dont screw the stick in mine when i check, its not much but every little bit counts.

Only other place the oil is going is its being burnt up and you would notice that with alot of smoke.

AtvKid4Eva
02-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Thats too much oil..all you need is to put one qt in the tank and then crank the motor over without starting it to pump some of the oil into the motor..then add another qt of oil into the tank..a 400ex uses about 2qts of oil..to check the level accurately you let the bike warm up and then shut it off wait a couple minutes and then check the oil level.

07blk400
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
yes i am doing all the proper procedures when checking the oil. the manual claims the whole system holds 2.2 quarts so when i add 2.5 it was a little above the full mark but only by 1/8th of an inch or less. but then to add a 1.5 quarts to that is ridiculious. the only thing i can think of is that it some how turned into sludge and is gooped up in the engine some where.

CJM
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
IDK, seems odd.

I doubt it turned to sludge, that only happens when you basically never change the oil.