PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living in D.C.

Scro
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Anybody live in or around the D.C. area? I'm exploring some job opportunities, but it seems like the cost of living is through the roof. I've been to several sites that say 75-80% higher than here in Alabama.:eek:

SRH
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Anybody live in or around the D.C. area? I'm exploring some job opportunities, but it seems like the cost of living is through the roof. I've been to several sites that say 75-80% higher than here in Alabama.:eek:

thats not bad considering cost of living in bama is a row boat, a shot gun, coveralls, aand some shot gun shells :chinese:

Lasher
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
A few years ago I had to spend a couple weeks at Discovery Channel in Silver Springs (just outside DC) for work and talked to people that worked/lived in the area.

No freaking way would I live down there!

They told me (before housing boom) that house prices were through the roof and they had to live 1-2 hours away to just afford a home.

Also, it is not just the cost of a house/appartment. Everything seemed like it cost more so you need to take that into consideration.

CJM
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I stayed there for awhile a few years ago, I thought NJ was $$$$ or maybe even NYC-NOPE they take the cake, EVERYTHING was more costly.

I would have to live 2 or more hours there if I ever wanted a house.

jesshamner
02-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Scro, I don't know if you remember our conversation about our GIS, but I was looking at jobs near you and in DC. I decided against DC because the pay didn't increase the same as the cost of living. If you make $40,000 in Alabama, you need to make at least $80,000 in DC. And forget about short commute times unless you're going to pay a fortune for a place to live in the city.

D-7#61-450r
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I live 50 miles south of D.C. and unless you IT or Gov. employed it is hard to afford anything inside the 495 beltway. Also traffic is terrible from hear north. A 50 mile commute can be 3 to for hours a day round trip, sometimes more. I did the D.C. thing a few years and I avoid it now. The pay is not worth the commute.

Scro
02-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
Scro, I don't know if you remember our conversation about our GIS, but I was looking at jobs near you and in DC. I decided against DC because the pay didn't increase the same as the cost of living. If you make $40,000 in Alabama, you need to make at least $80,000 in DC. And forget about short commute times unless you're going to pay a fortune for a place to live in the city.

I do remember that. It seems like GIS and cartography jobs are starting to feel the effects of the economy. I've been here for 4+ years and I'm happy with where I'm at. But there's always room for improvement as far as money goes. Doesn't sound like it's worth it to deal with the headache of D.C. I'm driving 3 hours round trip now, and I wouldn't want anything farther.

Did you ever land a job?

Pappy
02-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Do what every one else did, buy a nice place in WV and commute. Its the only way to keep you $$

outacontrol
02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I paid $1300 a month for a one bedroom condo rental about 25 miles north of dc and that was 8 yrs ago. To buy now townhouses r 400k single family homes 700k +. Not worth it at all

scottproquad
02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Stay where you are grass isnt greener on this side!! Im looking to move south was in ga for the supercross this past weekend and loved it down there. Everyones much nicer!

Quad18star
02-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I know where $200 000 gets you a few acres all within 15 minutes of a city of 165 000 people :p

Scro
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I know where $200 000 gets you a few acres all within 15 minutes of a city of 165 000 people :p

If it stays below freezing for more than 3 days at a time, you can forget it.:p

Quad18star
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
If it stays below freezing for more than 3 days at a time, you can forget it.:p

WIMP !!!!!!

:p

diangelo#67
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
yeah maryland is the same way up here, They are trying to make a 6% extra tax on bottled beveages so thats 12% over cost cuz there is already 6 on it they want another 6. gas tax, blah blah
this thread could go on as long as the hot chicks threads with us older guys

Quad18star
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by diangelo#67
this thread could go on as long as the hot chicks threads with us older guys

Haven't seen one of those threads in a long time. haha

diangelo#67
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm bring sexy back. j/k

too many 12yr olds on here now for those

Thumpin440ex
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Any place you come north the cost gets high.. DC is insane.. Md is getting just as bad..

John

jesshamner
02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
I do remember that. It seems like GIS and cartography jobs are starting to feel the effects of the economy. I've been here for 4+ years and I'm happy with where I'm at. But there's always room for improvement as far as money goes. Doesn't sound like it's worth it to deal with the headache of D.C. I'm driving 3 hours round trip now, and I wouldn't want anything farther.

Did you ever land a job?

There is definitely room for improvement. That's why I was wanting something new. I was stuck in a rut after being there for 4 years. I did finally find a new job. GIS supervisor at the a nearby city public works division. I love it. It was exactly what I envisioned when I was in school.

GIS jobs are definitely scarce lately unless you're going to move to DC, Florida, or somewhere out west. I wasn't a big fan of the government contract technician work.

slightlybent47
02-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I have family that lives in Maryland and work in DC. And yes it dose cost a lot to live there. Most of them are doing better than the average as far as what they make. And most of them live in very nice homes. The commute from DC is a complete disaster. I lived there for awhile and Maryland is nice but DC is not. The bad thing about Maryland is, it’s basically a peninsula and there only a few ways to get across bay. It may be better coming in from Virginia or north from Hagerstown.

RATPACK Z400
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I live 1hr outside DC and love it ! the money heres better than average and rent a house for around 1000-1500 depending on size .inside Beltway is Ghetto projects with nice areas mixed in .Would never live near DC to much crime/drugs /bums walking around your home day to day ! You can find good deals on rent but need to look hard ,sure isn,t like other states were rent is 500 amonth but the money is better here IMO. and you get four seasons awesome summers at the beach and snowboardering/sking in winter best of both worlds!

jesshamner
03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
You can get 4 seasons in a lot more places with good income vs cost of living ratios. For some it may be ok, but growing up a country boy, I wouldn't do it.

Scro, keep in touch. Is like to hear about wherever you move to.

Scro
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
You can get 4 seasons in a lot more places with good income vs cost of living ratios. For some it may be ok, but growing up a country boy, I wouldn't do it.

Scro, keep in touch. Is like to hear about wherever you move to.

Will do.