PDA

View Full Version : Awwww..... crap.....

NMills
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey guys... need a bit o help... i can not get my swingarm pivot bolt out... i tried beating it... heating it... and right now it's soaked in PB... i'm thinkin i have to cut it.. but where do i cut it??? or is there another way... does anyone have pics.... or anything that may be of help???? i know this topic has been talked about several times already... so if anyone has any ideas? or knows what method works best short of taking it to a shop... i don't have the ffunds right now... and also... after heating and beating it i did end up folding over the threads with the nut... so i already know i'm replacing it...

Thanks guys..

CJM
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Can you get access to an impact gun or an impact hammer?

1. Remove the bolt off one side, spray to death with a mixture of atf/acetone 50/50, after that spray with a good teflon based chain lube as much as you can. Then take impact gun and tighten the bolt, hit it good, then loosen it-might shock the thing enough to jar it loose.

2. Get an air hammer, remove the nut, spray and stuff and use the tip of the hammer to pound on the bolt.

3. If that doesnt work go get a sawzall, dremel or other such cutting tool and take the shock off, lay the quad on its side and go to town cutting the bolt out.

When you finally have it all done go and get some never seize when you reassemble it and SLATHER everything with it. The bolt, the nut, the bearings EVERYTHING.

matts27
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Get a drift pin or 1/2 bolt or rod and pound it with a lump hammer. Leave the quad on the ground until you get it about 1/3 of the way out. Should be nice and free by then to finish pounding it out in the air without having to hold the quad and hit it. Next time leave the nut on the bolt with 2 threads still on it and give it a few whacks to save destroying the threads.

bigballz400
02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
on the last one i did, i used a porta power lol

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/bigballz400/?action=view&current=164625_478952008817_501923817_5580655_1920 275_n.jpg

make sure you go the axle out first lol

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d122/bigballz400/?action=view&current=162965_479013513817_501923817_5581469_1684 496_n.jpg

NMills
03-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Well... for those who are interested.... i did get the bolt out... heat did not work... pounding sucked... but after tearing down the subframe... and rear suspension... i was able to get at the bolt a bit better... one sawzall and about 8 blades... i finally got it out... had to cut it four times... come to find out... the bearing in my swingarm were full of all kinds of crap... and they completly fell out when i pounded the shaft out... so now i will absolutly be doing a whole bearing kit...

and so my journey begins... yay...

CJM
03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Least you got it out. Ive seen them where the bolt refuses to come out and then gets stuck in the engine :) thats always fun.

eprovenzano
03-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Least you got it out. Ive seen them where the bolt refuses to come out and then gets stuck in the engine :) thats always fun.

That was me. I had to use a torch to cut the bolt, but it was seized to the engine cases A local machinist set the cases in his hydraulic press. It still took a few days before the bolt came loose.