PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 2005 450r Need Some Help

ridehonda400ex
02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm getting a 450 and it needs some work. Its got some valve tap. The guy says its got titanium valves and they may need replaced along with shims. And im gunna rebuild the engine most likely because its never been rebuilt and valves havent been adjusted...

So i want to go with OEM valves and preferably stock bore or just one size ovver. Whats the next size over stock? I plan to do wiseco, any other good cheaper brands? Im not gunna be racing but i do ride my quads. Where can i buy stock shims?

Next, It has a Dr. D slip-on and no airbox lid. So im guessing it runs rich in the main jet because it only smokes when he revs it. What jet sizes would put me close to where it needs to be?

If anybody has anything else too add then comment. Or any parts that could help me out and they wanna sell for Cheap, post a comment. Im gunna need a grab bar and a tail light also

440ex. ehhh!!
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Your going to be very happy with the 450! i had enough of competing against guys on modded 450's with my 440ex.
You can get a hotcams shim kit off ebay for about $70 shipped, they are always on there.
Look in the parts section, i just bought a 11.5:1 CP piston for $50 shipped.
If your planning on doing engine work, buy a cam for it, HRC, hc stg 2 or 3, and so on.
I am in the process of putting the HRC cam in, Cp piston, and port and polishing my head. I cant wait to be finished!

Here is Wiseco's website and listings for their pistons. http://www.wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx

Josh

ridehonda400ex
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Well i'm trying to get by as cheap as possible. Id love to really get into the engine and hop it up but i dont have the cash. If i get a high comp piston, like 11:1 do i need to put in a certain size shim? Can i buy just individual shims? And how the hell do i figure out what size i need??? Its confusing me and i dont even have the quad yet lol. And are kibble white valves good? Is there certain kinds of valves thatre bad? I found some on ebay for $15 a piece that say theyre OEM equivlant

440ex. ehhh!!
02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
kibblewhite is good, yes.
and valve shims very depending on the engine, the valves, the cam, everything.
you wont know what you need until you have it together and you check the clearance. The shim size would have nothing to do with what piston you have.

ridehonda400ex
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Whats about the cheapest place to buy valves?

Butter
03-01-2011, 12:51 AM
KibbleWhites aren't always good. Had one break on me. Sits at my local cycle shop's counter impaled into my piston, lol.