PDA

View Full Version : I need a to get a half link for my chain. Info ??

Thumpin440ex
02-28-2011, 01:19 PM
I have searched the web for a bit now, can not come up with one.. I just dropped a front tooth on my bike. So now it is no longer stock sizing on the sprockets, The chain is to long and I can not get the adjustment I need when I roll the adjuster all the way in. So I am in need of a half link.. DID 520 X ring chain.. Thanks for any help.. Nothing can be easy I swear..

CJM
02-28-2011, 02:24 PM
before you go crazy trying to find a half link (never heard of it before btw), take the chain off and count the links. It should be 94 links. If its more remove the links to get to 94.

I have had 16t front, 15t and 14t along with a 39 rear and cut my chain to 94 links when I got it and its always been fine.

Also the chain should of course have about 1.25-1.5 inches of free play as well.

slightlybent47
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
The chain may be worn or stretched and is longer then a new one with the same links on it.
There should be enough room in the adjustment that you should be able to make it adjust write.
I too change my sprockets and I use the same chain with no problem.

I never herd of a half link!

Thumpin440ex
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
The chain is basically brand new, maybe 10 hours ride time. I doubt it is no good.. I think If i was running my stock rotor I would be ok, but it hits the skid when I take it all the way in..

John

Thumpin440ex
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
A half link is exactly that.. It is a end with a hole and stud, rather then 2 studs

http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discount/master-link-half-link-black/

Thumpin440ex
02-28-2011, 03:50 PM
BTW my new gearing is 14-36.. Like I said seems the rotor hits the skid, or the bearing seems to bottom out. I mean it is all the way forward, no more going in with adjustment. The chain fits, but the wheels do not move very freely..

John

Thumpin440ex
02-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Ok no worries on the half link. I just went ahead, spaced the skid plate down a bit to clear the rotor.. The link would have saved me some time, but cost some money.. So I am happy..

John

slightlybent47
02-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Good to here John. At least you fixed it the rite way. On the bright side I learned that a half link dose exist. I learn something new all the time!

Thumpin440ex
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Good to here John. At least you fixed it the rite way. On the bright side I learned that a half link dose exist. I learn something new all the time!

There you go, if you learn one thing every day then the say was not a waste :D Now to take it out, hope that I got a decent bit of low-mid snap back.. Not that it was bad, but for woods it was either lugging or top of a gear.. Also will be getting a lightened fly wheel soon.. :D

John