PDA

View Full Version : 4 Play XC MOD w/ KTM85

T@AFP
02-28-2011, 12:01 PM
We're just finishing up a customers MOD w/ a KTM85. He'll be racing in the GNCC. So we he'll be using the same airbox that the CRF150R model uses. The A arms and swinger are our XC version for the Pitster.

T@AFP
02-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Pic 2

T@AFP
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
pic 3

T@AFP
02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Pic 4

T@AFP
03-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Front end w/o spindles

T@AFP
03-01-2011, 07:40 AM
II

quadnana7
03-02-2011, 06:05 AM
Saw that quad at a KTM dealer in Cookeville getting finished up. Awesome build!

miniquaddad90
03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
NICE build!!! What class GNCC? As far as I know there isnt a class for that machine unless he's just going to "run it for fun"

skyeryder
03-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Tom, I'd like to see some more pics of this quad finished.....
Also would that crf150 airbox work on my cobra framed kx65, what's the width of it and what kind of air hose is that, thanks

T@AFP
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by miniquaddad90
NICE build!!! What class GNCC? As far as I know there isnt a class for that machine unless he's just going to "run it for fun"

Yeh, You were right. Poor guy and kid went to Fla to race this weekend and was told that he couldn't due to it not being a "production" machine. Sad thing is, is he spoke w/ the AMA prior to pulling the trigger on this. They told him it would be fine. But when it came down to it, they wouldn't let him.
Although the boy did ride it. And clearly was a better machine out there. They ended up DQing him.:mad:

miniquaddad90
03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by T@AFP
Yeh, You were right. Poor guy and kid went to Fla to race this weekend and was told that he couldn't due to it not being a "production" machine. Sad thing is, is he spoke w/ the AMA prior to pulling the trigger on this. They told him it would be fine. But when it came down to it, they wouldn't let him.
Although the boy did ride it. And clearly was a better machine out there. They ended up DQing him.:mad:

TOO BAD they dropped the "supermini" class!! If they still had it my daughter would be on a 90 mod for this season! :macho He can still run it at GNCC just not for points, etc...

T@AFP
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
It is too bad. He was told it's not a AMA rule, it was the discretion of the promoter. The promoter said it was a safety issue. Meaning with a 85cc was too fast of a machine for a youth rider. My thoughts are the same engine in a ATV which weighs over a 100# more w/ more safety provision vs a dirt bike should be safer in the woods.

FISH ON!
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
That's interesting to hear what they were told. I tried to get GNCC to open a class that would allow hybrids and the safety comment never came up. That wouldn't make a lot of sense when I could run an Wiley mod Cobra with a RM cylinder and be perfectly legal by the current rules and last years rules as well. As you know those things will run with any Hybrid. Part of the problem is the folks making those decisions in GNCC are not very knowledgeable of the performance of the different mini quads They should seek input from the guys who do like Hetrick, Maximum RPM, G-Force, and so on.

What I was told was that they, quote "will never allow hybrids in any GNCC racing" and went on to say they support OEM because that is who pays the contingency money. It wasn't worth arguing after that but you have to ask yourself, how many miniquad OEMs support GNCC racing by paying contingencies to riders or promoters. For riders it is NONE. For promotors i would say NONE as well but Can-Am does (what a fast mini they have) and Yamaha might......I don't know. It was also mentioned that Cobras were allowed in an effort to support an American based manufacturer that is struggling.

Based on that info and a desire to get out of the CVT world I looked into the Cobras. Well, due to the lead law issue, you can't buy a fully assembled Cobra ATV. You can get a rolling chasis and purchase the motor separately. I have a letter from the general manager of Cobra telling it's dealers that it is illegal for them to sell a new assembled Cobra ATV. Given that issue, and the "struggling business" comment I scrapped the Cobra idea........... oh yeah, the $9500 price tag was a hard pill to swallow as well.

We decided to stay sponsor loyal and went with the Apex 85 shifter. It's still work in progress but it's a really nice machine. My son ran some practice laps on it at the FL GNCC and stirred up enough complaints about it not being "production" because a 100 units are not available that we parked it and ran the old CVT in the race. It turned out to not be a bad decision given how he finished :D Once he learns how to stay on the pipe and come out of the turns in the right gear that 85 shifter will be smokin fast and a great XC machine with the right mods. Once I get the airbox on he can run that thing through a creek with no problem! Highest temp I seen on that thing is 150 degrees so far as well.

I'm not a "production rule" fan. The fact of the matter is, if you run a late model Cobra, is not a "production" model either. To be so, it must be fully assembled with 100 units available at dealers throughout the USA as well. I did my homework on that one guys with letters from Cobra so feel free to challenge me on that one :blah:

Here's a quote from Cobra........

"Cobra will be offering a rolling chassis for 2011 as well as a full assortment of ATV replacement parts, however, we are not able to sell complete units into the US market due to the passage of the CPSIA of 2008. This holds true for dealers asnwell, and you will come under violation of federal law if you attempt to sell complete (or disassembled) Cobra ATVs. Please contact Cobra if you have any questions regarding our policy or the law."

Here's a little peak at a true Apex 85 shifter.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/striperfishn/2011%20Racing/IMG_5881-1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/striperfishn/2011%20Racing/IMG_5931.jpg

T@AFP
03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm curious how apex will address the 100 unit rule. I've heard they're nearing completion. But that could be hearsay.
I would like to discuss with the promoters about their no hybrid rule. It doesn't make sence to me. I think there are enough parents that would rather have their kids on a shifter rather than dealing with all the stuff that comes along with the cvt.
Did you see our mod in florida by chance?
Your apex looks very nice.

mmsoup
03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep, no doubt about it Zach took care of business on the old ride. The Apex shifter looks killer and Todd has outdone himself on prep and attention to detail. Hate you didn't run it.......

Carrie Jo's exact quote was "We have never run WORKS quads in the minis and we are never going to."
I had just mentioned that it would open the door to a lot of families that already had hybrid machines prepared and ready to race. The response was pretty final. Todd was there as well.

Brandon Ickard ran his Apex shifter and had reasonable results. The only reason we decided not to go that direction this year was the learning curve in an XC race. We noticed at several Mid-East races last year that the kids on the hybrids were having issues staying in the powerband. We finally decided to stay with the CVT but Dad and Mom both would be totally behind the Apex shifter for reasons of skill, performance, durability and ease of maintenance.

Those that are muttering about quantity available for sale, need to check their facts and avoid speculating. The key word in the requirement is AVAILABLE.

FISH ON!
03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Tom, I didn't get a close look but it looked great on the track. I was studying the handling a bit and it looked really good. KTM motor.......can't go wrong there !!! Nice air box setup too. Did it affect your jetting at all?

One nice thing about a Hybrid is that it helps a lot people in the ATV industry with probably more MADE IN THE USA parts than any other quad out there.

Originally posted by T@AFP
I'm curious how apex will address the 100 unit rule. I've heard they're nearing completion. But that could be hearsay.
I would like to discuss with the promoters about their no hybrid rule. It doesn't make sence to me. I think there are enough parents that would rather have their kids on a shifter rather than dealing with all the stuff that comes along with the cvt.
Did you see our mod in florida by chance?
Your apex looks very nice.

lilman
03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
i totally agree when the promoters realize there numbes will go up when they allow hybrids .the big brands dont support the minis anyway if they allow hybrids the numbers will go up increasing the popularity maybe the big brandswill take notice.
we have a run what you brung rule here and it is up to us to advance the kids as nessesary we have a blast racing in alberta.
drop the drama let em race . the kids will all be better for it,if a kid goes out and starts to flat out smoke everyone he gets bumped to advanced. ive seen kids on stock quads rip(untill they break) then the issue returns to the parent to upgrade as they can to keep them safe as they progress ive seen my son win 3-4 weekends ina row and ive seen him beat 3-4 weeks in a row by stock quads ,put a kid on a 50hp(lol) mini and if he cant ride it or has a off weekend and its anyones game. you people should come ride here and have fun.14 yrs max on the minis 2 classes beginner and advanced smoke em in beginer move to advanced.
cut and dry the kids have fun every weekend .try it for 2yrs your numbers will increase.as long as you advance your kid if hes running by him or herself it works

lilman
03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
oops that was almost a rant lol if you guys want to come out
i forgot 90cc 2smoke 125cc 4stroke.
check out alberta dirt riders association 2 series spring and fall
or come for a weekend and check it out.
also we have sportsman which is max 16yrs 200cc 2smoke 300cc 4 stroke. and we even move up some smaller cc machines into this class if need be (when they start running away in the advanced class because they are clearly ready) anyone who complains that someone is UNDER cc should should take a reality check unless it is really clear that a kid is way to quick we allways let him or her finish the series where they started as not to lose points and advance them in the next round

T@AFP
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
pic