PDA

View Full Version : Should I do this?

ridehonda400ex
02-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Im thinking about trading my good ol 400...i know, i know...but its for a 2005 trx450r. Dr. D pipe, alba nerf, DG bumper, G-Force extended hubs, new back tires(look like holeshots), pro taper se bars, and a skid plate. Its gunna need some valve work. The guy never tore the engine apart and never jetted the carb, he said it burns a little oil. Well im thinking if i can get some money out of this deal then i might do it. My buddy's dad has a stock cylinder and I could probably buy it from him

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/2238385448.html

theres the link to it. let me know everything you guys think it will need. How hard are these to work on also?

Im Gunna rebuild it if i get it

PaRedneckRiders
02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
Im thinking about trading my good ol 400...i know, i know...but its for a 2005 trx450r. Dr. D pipe, alba nerf, DG bumper, G-Force extended hubs, new back tires(look like holeshots), pro taper se bars, and a skid plate. Its gunna need some valve work. The guy never tore the engine apart and never jetted the carb, he said it burns a little oil. Well im thinking if i can get some money out of this deal then i might do it. My buddy's dad has a stock cylinder and I could probably buy it from him

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/2238385448.html

theres the link to it. let me know everything you guys think it will need. How hard are these to work on also?

Im Gunna rebuild it if i get it
Really up to you in the end, but personally i would not do it.
If your gonna rebuilt the 450 your gonna want to put more and more money in it and it may need more than you think anyway.
Its an 05 and iirc the 05 still had crank problems and needed the bearing updated.
I would maybe go take a look at it but if the oil has metal shavings in it and/or it just looks BAD then i wouldnt do it.

CJM
02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Your buying someone elses headache. Unless your gonna fully rebuild the engine, update the bearings as stated you wont be ahead of the game. Spend another 1000-1500 and you get much better shape quad imho.

AtvKid4Eva
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't do it. That 450 is beat and is not worth a well running 400ex.

400exmxrider15
02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Building a 426ex ive heard will keep up with 450's...correct me if im wrong...

tri5ron
02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
Building a 426ex ive heard will keep up with 450's...correct me if im wrong... "Keeping up", is more a matter of perspective, and opinion.

ridehonda400ex
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
well he's going to bring it to my house and if it runs like he said, then I'm going to do the trade. And i don't want to go all out on the engine, just rebuild and new valves and if the crank is fine then I'm going to leave it. I don't see the point of replacing something that's not broke

exrider12
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
well he's going to bring it to my house and if it runs like he said, then I'm going to do the trade. And i don't want to go all out on the engine, just rebuild and new valves and if the crank is fine then I'm going to leave it. I don't see the point of replacing something that's not broke

good idea.. If you can fix some things up you'll be much happier. Look it over well, ask a lot of questions.

Its even better that he's coming to you.