PDA

View Full Version : MT.biking

finsteratv
02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
does anyone on hear mt.bike?
i have a diamond back response sport with upgraded forks,shimano derailers/gearing, and disk brakes.
ive been getting back into it and love mt.biking inbetween riding as a way to get out there and have some dirty fun ;).
anyone else ride? post a pic of your bike.
IM WONDERING WHAT TO UPGRADE NEXT, suggestions are appreciated!

ridered11
02-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I used to go quite a bit until some a** hole broke into my garage and stole my bike.

I rode a Kona with a couple odds and ends, just don't have another 1k to get another bike right now.

They are a blast and great way to stay in shape.

finsteratv
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
theres a park right by my house with some down hill trails. and other single track stuff. then if i want i can always ride my 4wheeler trails on our piece of property. i roadbike some too, but mt.biking gives me more of a rush when im haulin through the woods :D

Sjorge450R
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I started riding last April and I love it. Its a great cheap way to get outdoors and have some fun. I only have a cheap Trek 3900 but I love it. I through a set of forks on it, WTB tires, and a different stem and handle bar set up and now its nice. I want to get rid of it and find another bike, but since I am on the Cycling Team at Temple, I mostly ride road now especially with being in Philly. I cant wait to start MTBing again once I get home on spring break next week. I miss it so much

tjsdaname
02-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I do a little, there is a park about 5-6 miles away from me that has tons of hiking trails with steep hills and drop offs.
I just ride a specialized hardrock, only had about 600 at the time to spend on a bike and thats the one I chose...

finsteratv
02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
thats awesome dude! great excersise and easier on your joints too compared to riding. oh yeah and ive got upgraded rims and kenda klaws on both ends :P.
this is my theory....cheap way to be out side having fun and still be able to go big if you want. plus wayyyyy cheaper then quads and more places to ride.
wheelin's still my top love though haha

jasonjonesjj
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Fuji Tahoe

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/jasonthomasjones/23820_383319494565_638754565_3686648_6037084_n.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/jasonthomasjones/23820_383319274565_638754565_3686646_3977253_n.jpg

CJM
02-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Used to, really to flat where I live now.

I have an older trek 930 (like 10+ years old) with rock shocks up front, its a hardtail 24 speed. Last time I rode was 5 years ago.

finsteratv
02-28-2011, 08:55 AM
i need to get some pictures if i go ride later today. nice fugi thats what my roadbike is and same with my mom's. :p
c'mon CJM its good exercise and pretty fun when you get back to it!

CJM
02-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by finsteratv
i need to get some pictures if i go ride later today. nice fugi thats what my roadbike is and same with my mom's. :p
c'mon CJM its good exercise and pretty fun when you get back to it!

Where I used to live it was all hills and mountains-perfect for that bike. Now,
I need to drive an hour and a half by car to find any real hills let alone mountains. Where I live its flat, near sea level if thats any indicator of just how flat it really is.

Sjorge450R
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
CJM, Central NJ has THE best riding imo. So many places to go

axellmusic19
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
I work at a bicycle shop and own a mint gary fisher sugar 4 and cannot get enough of mountain biking. Although Minnesota relies on two main trails and the rest as ski resorts in the summer, I find it to be the best form of training for racing. I think it is honestly not given enough credit for how fun it can be and I encourage every to at least rent an MTB at some point. I have a full suspension with shimano deore full setup and WTB saddle, tires, super stock usa wheels, and bontrager odds and ends but I'm glad to hear other people here like it!

If you haven't already, crank brother pedals, and lighter stem and handle bars are a decent upgrade. Seat is personal preference.

CJM
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
CJM, Central NJ has THE best riding imo. So many places to go

Sjorge, where at? If your looking for mtns where I live near six flags theres zilch. If I owned a road bike I could be set-but I fear getting mowed down as the traffic heres insane.

About all we have is the henry hudson trail, which starts a few towns over and its very novice friendly and just not much of a challenge. Where I live is all farms (or they were till they built on them).

Im thinking this summer of going up to ramapo mtn near oakland (bergen county). Right off 287 N on skyline drive there is an awesome spot. Just sucks cause it takes an hour and half to get there.

jesshamner
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah I know its called mtn biking but that doesn't really mean you have to ride a mountain. Trails are trails. Who cares if its flat, unless you're afraid to pedal too much. It sounds to me like you want to just downhill.

Sjorge450R
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
CJM, Allamuchy, Chimney Rock, Washingtons Crossing Park, Baldpate. Six Mile Woods. They all have CRAZY elevation changes and quite a bit of trails.

For everyone in NJ or on the PA/NJ border....check out MTBNJ.com. All the information you need about riding is there. Even if your not from the area, the site is packed with information.

CJM
02-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh I know where your talking about Steve!

Nowhere near my house lol... Im gonna make it a trip to go since my buddy got a mtn bike this past fall. Gonna have to take a weekend off quad riding and enjoy some human powered vehicles lol.

I used to live in Ringwood, talk about a bikers paradise :)

I have been to allaire before, but its annoying cause of all the sand. And six mile is ok but just a real lazy ride :eek:

finsteratv
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
ahh i think i might go hit the trails by my house tonight! im pretty sure i have the shimano dioure's also. any tips on how to ride even better?

bbender85
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
i used to live for it before i had a license and motorized toys. still have my old schwinn s9(six).40 full suspension rig; back in the height of the "bounce bike" craze and before schwinn sold out and became a department store bike.

planning on upgrading the old rock shox quadra5 fork and STX componentry and dabbling with it a little this year... as said before, should make for great race training, especially considering running kills my bad back.

BlaineKaiser450
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a Specialized P.1 that I've done way to much work too haha mtn biking is really fun

Sjorge450R
02-28-2011, 09:10 PM
yeah MTB is a great cross trainer. I wish i was into it before I stopped racing. Road biking is better for cardiovascular training. I love getting on the road bike and just going for 2+ hours at a time, its so relaxing. You still have to be attentive, just not as much with mtb. I cant wait till next week now. Ive rounded up my buddies and we are gonna be riding all through spring break. Time to get out for the first time this year on the MTB.

On a side note, I have my first road race ever this weekend for the Temple University team....not sure how its gonna go as I have no idea how these types of racing go.

finsteratv
02-28-2011, 09:18 PM
i road my first road bike in 5th grade and kept going haha. when ive started you can get a number and you're tracked i guess. depends on how the race is set up. most of my rides were public along with the duathlons runs swim team etc etc :p

jesshamner
03-01-2011, 07:33 AM
What type of race is it? Distance? Crit?

honda400ex2003
03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Gonna have to take a weekend off quad riding and enjoy some human powered vehicles lol.

ill stick to my vehicles that move with a push of some sort. that pedaling stuff is tough lol. I have a couple of gt dnyo bmx and a gt mountain bike but dont ride any of them lol. it is much easier to ride something when you arent gasping to catch your breath. lol

steve

finsteratv
03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
ill stick to my vehicles that move with a push of some sort. that pedaling stuff is tough lol. I have a couple of gt dnyo bmx and a gt mountain bike but dont ride any of them lol. it is much easier to ride something when you arent gasping to catch your breath. lol

steve
sometimes i find myself gasping for breath when iking not from hard work but from eating it hard :blah: ive never wrecked or had an atv crash and only 1 dirtbike crash. by my standards i ride hard being i ride with a friend on a kx and his dad on a ktm 505.... but MT bikes..im on the ground more

CJM
03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I find it helps keep me healthy, riding an atv gives you a good work out-but nothing like a bike to really get your heart rate up.

Sjorge450R
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
What type of race is it? Distance? Crit?

I have a Crit on saturday and a distance on sunday. As we got closer I get more nervous. The Crit racing seems like its going to be pretty intense

honda400ex2003
03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
i found a pic of my bmx bike. ill see if i can find one of my mt bike also.

not my pic but same bike

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/khickey87/bikesideon.jpg

steve

krt400ex
03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
i've got a bone stock gary fischer marlin. i used to ride the bike every single day until i bought a quad lol. the bike has hardly been touched in the last 3 years now.

finsteratv
03-05-2011, 06:54 PM
i just killed my rear tire tube :cuss: so looks like a trip to the shop is needed!

KFX450Rrider490
03-05-2011, 08:46 PM
yeaa thatll happen id stock up on em! has anyone on here got into the 29er craze yet im looking at buying one in the very near future?

Sjorge450R
03-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by finsteratv
i just killed my rear tire tube :cuss: so looks like a trip to the shop is needed!

Ive been using Slime tubes for a while now just because I ride in a lot of thorns and I love them. sure their heavy, but I dont care.

axellmusic19
03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by KFX450Rrider490
yeaa thatll happen id stock up on em! has anyone on here got into the 29er craze yet im looking at buying one in the very near future?

Personally I think either Gary Fisher and the Raleigh have the 29ers absolutely perfect with the geometry. If you go with fisher check out the Rig and the Cobia, and even though the Cobia is Sram, the quality of ride is actually pretty good and the Rig is downright awesome is you have the leg power. The Raleigh XXIX is the only way to go because although the Fisher geometry is great G2 and all, the Chromoly frame and belt drive makes it a tough, all purpose bike. If you are looking for something a little cheaper don't forget to check out Giant but pleeeeaaassse don't get a mail order bike.

KFX450Rrider490
03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
Personally I think either Gary Fisher and the Raleigh have the 29ers absolutely perfect with the geometry. If you go with fisher check out the Rig and the Cobia, and even though the Cobia is Sram, the quality of ride is actually pretty good and the Rig is downright awesome is you have the leg power. The Raleigh XXIX is the only way to go because although the Fisher geometry is great G2 and all, the Chromoly frame and belt drive makes it a tough, all purpose bike. If you are looking for something a little cheaper don't forget to check out Giant but pleeeeaaassse don't get a mail order bike.

Thanks for the info! ive honestly always had giants and was planning on sticking with them, more than likely getting the xct! i was also considering the gary fisher's too but the price is a good amount more and i dont think my parents will let me spend anything over what the giant xct 1 is.

your obvesly an avid biker what would you recomend for clipin's. ive been doing research but i havent found many actuall opinions?

thanks again

Sjorge450R
03-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info! ive honestly always had giants and was planning on sticking with them, more than likely getting the xct! i was also considering the gary fisher's too but the price is a good amount more and i dont think my parents will let me spend anything over what the giant xct 1 is.

your obvesly an avid biker what would you recomend for clipin's. ive been doing research but i havent found many actuall opinions?

thanks again

Im a fan of the entry level Shimano SPD system. Get a decent pair of shoes and match them with shimano 520 pedals (cheap, a little heavy, but double sided and did i mention CHEAP?!??!) and you will be good to go. I actually run this on my road bike as I am too lazy and broke to switch to road shoes with a look setup.

rollie
03-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Im looking to get into the mountain biking game as well :cool:

thinking of getting a specialized p.1, i like the single speeds more, i grew up riding bmx all day everyday, now that will be like a grown up versionto have fun or get around the track's haha

axellmusic19
03-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
Im a fan of the entry level Shimano SPD system. Get a decent pair of shoes and match them with shimano 520 pedals (cheap, a little heavy, but double sided and did i mention CHEAP?!??!) and you will be good to go. I actually run this on my road bike as I am too lazy and broke to switch to road shoes with a look setup.

For Clipless the 520's are decent but non rebuildable and have poor action. They are cheaper but pay the extra 30 or so dollars and get crank brothers candy 2's or 3's. They can be rebuilt, have full bearing setup, metal and egg beater design is easier and more flexible for your ankle. Not to mention lighter. If you really are on a budget SPF isn't bad but crank brothers is the way to go.

Sjorge450R
03-08-2011, 09:44 AM
yeah I just dove right into the clipless world using the 520's and i liked them for the time being. Not being rebuildable isnt a issue for me as I would just replace them. Check used classified for teh crank bros or find some Acids. Those are also really nice and fully rebuildable.

KFX450Rrider490
03-08-2011, 10:15 AM
cool thanks guys ill deffinitly keep them in mind now what about shoes? ive heard you want a stiffer shoe that fits good around the heel, coorect?

axellmusic19
03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
cool thanks guys ill deffinitly keep them in mind now what about shoes? ive heard you want a stiffer shoe that fits good around the heel, coorect?
Correct and you also do not want side to side play by the ball of your foot either. Bontrager mountain race or race lites are decent for their stiffness and ventellation and are average weight. Unfortunately shoes that are good cost about $120 but make a big difference. I think this would be an area where starting with a cheap bottom of the line shoe would be a good idea. Shoes wear out and you'll find that your preferences change with them.

KFX450Rrider490
03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
wow i was realy wrong im looking at the treck/ gary fisher, rig and x-caliber both awsome bikes for the price! i guess i just need to take a run down to the local shop to check them out..

if anyone here is anywhere near the northeastern parts of PA check out our local club, we go on awsome rides, buid trails and then go eat! its a great time
http://www.hubbardbike.com/wordpress/

KFX450Rrider490
03-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
Correct and you also do not want side to side play by the ball of your foot either. Bontrager mountain race or race lites are decent for their stiffness and ventellation and are average weight. Unfortunately shoes that are good cost about $120 but make a big difference. I think this would be an area where starting with a cheap bottom of the line shoe would be a good idea. Shoes wear out and you'll find that your preferences change with them.

yea i understand, not much of a difference with riding boots it sounds like.

what do you ride bike wise?

axellmusic19
03-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Gary fisher sugar 4 2001 world cup paint. If you search google images good luck finding a picture of it I'll try to post a picture soon.

KFX450Rrider490
03-08-2011, 01:20 PM
nice! cant wait to see it