PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems...please help!

TORO1968
02-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Hey guys,

I've been having trouble getting my '02 400ex to stay running in the cold weather. The engine is completely stock. Every time I go to start it when its like 40 deg F or lower out, it never wants to stay running. I set the choke closed, pump it a couple of times and it will fire. If I sit there and feather the throttle, I can get it to stay running for like 30 seconds or so, then it just dies. I've tried to open the choke to half right before it dies, but it still dies and won't ever start again.

I ended up fouling a plug today and had to get a new one. Right when I put the new plug in, it fired right up, ran for about 30 seconds, then died just as mentioned above.

Can I fix this by just adjusting my pilot screw or will I need to re-jet? I think my pilot jet was at 2-1/4 turns out, but in my service manual it says that the final pilot screw setting should be 1 turn out. Could this be my problem? I didn't realize this until like a few minutes ago...

I know I could re-jet and just forget using my choke, but my dad doesn't want me to do it that way, so I still need to have it functional.

Help!!

Thanks,

Jordan

CC Rider
02-15-2003, 11:57 PM
Dads are very difficult sometimes. Just tell him to hang out on EXRIDERS for awhile, maybe he will start to get it!!!;)

stupid driver
02-16-2003, 09:28 AM
ya, if you up your pilot one size, that will help. keep the choke on and when you get it on, keep it on for a bit, then take the choke to half way. sometimes, you can take one of those portable heaters and put it by your engine for a bit before ya go ridin. it helps, no joke

trailburner
02-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Click on [forum] them go to [frequently ask'ed questions] you should be able to find some info there that will help you....