View Full Version : Brake light question

BenHonda400ex
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I've noticed that my brake light has been staying on the whole time I ride and it never goe's off. Do you think it would be caused by the back brake locking up or just electrical problems? Has this happened to anyone? I don't really know how to check to see if my back break is locked up. Thanks!

426kidz
02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
put it on blocks and turn the wheels see if they move free, i took mine off! but most likely a electric prob!

slightlybent47
02-27-2011, 03:26 PM
There is a switch on the break pedal, most likely it’s stuck due to dirt gummed up in the switch. Give it a good cleaning and blow it out with air.

BenHonda400ex
02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
There is a switch on the break pedal, most likely it’s stuck due to dirt gummed up in the switch. Give it a good cleaning and blow it out with air. Do you think it would make it harder to wheelie if it was gummed up?

BenHonda400ex
02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 426kidz
put it on blocks and turn the wheels see if they move free, i took mine off! but most likely a electric prob! Winner winner chicken dinner! I just put it up on jack's and when I rotate the tires you can hear the brakes grabbing, should I blead off the brake's?

pmg8134
02-27-2011, 06:02 PM
winner winner chicken dinner huh? that`s great. you might want to pull them apart pump the piston in and out and clean it. then bleed them.

slightlybent47
02-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Unless you have a leak in your break system, and you have gotten air in it, there should be no reason to bleed them.
Do you have any pad left? Or is it worn out?
Wash out the grit from the break pads and see if that frees it up. The light works off a switch down by the foot peddle. You may have debris stuck in there and it’s not returning to the top like it should and it’s not closing the switch.

BenHonda400ex
02-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Unless you have a leak in your break system, and you have gotten air in it, there should be no reason to bleed them.
Wash out the grit from the break pads and see if that frees it up. The light works off a switch down by the foot peddle. You may have debris stuck in there and it’s not returning to the top like it should and it’s not closing the switch. I don't think there is any pad left, is this switch on the back of the brake pedal hooked up to it? I don't think there would be anything in there because I just cleaned it

CJM
02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Do you still have the parking brake? If so REMOVE IT and block it off, its worthless anyways.

Also of course replace the pads.

426kidz
02-28-2011, 10:17 AM
OOOOyes im the winner!!!!!!!ha

beags86
03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
my rear brake has been on since i got it, i have never really looked into it. the rear brake is fine, and the switch seams to work. any one care to commment?

BenHonda400ex
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Wash out the grit from the break pads and see if that frees it up. The light works off a switch down by the foot peddle. You may have debris stuck in there and it’s not returning to the top like it should and it’s not closing the switch. Is this switch behind the brake pedal inside a black case? The only thing that could be a switch is a the rod at the bottom that pulls on the spring that goe's in this black box