PDA

View Full Version : New to apex questions

o4twinpeaks
02-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I picked up an 08 apex and I have a few questions.

1 gforce says 3.8oz for the trany. 75 to 90wt. What do you all recommend?

2 Need to get upper arm bushings. Just going to do lower while I'm at it. Where to order that might have them in stock?

3 Looking for engine ice coolant. Which vendor on here carries it?

4 Kicker sticks in the down position. I will be pulling the cvt cover and cleaning and lubing the kicker and inspecting the clutch. What is the common cause of this. Should I just go ahead and order a spring for the starter while i'm at it?

5 What is a good list of extra parts to keep on hand in the trailer? We are not motorcrossing just dirt drags and play riding but you all know how it goes when something breaks and a 7yr old cant ride.

6 What is the difference in the color of the brake pads?

7 Any harm in doing away with the slipper counter shaft sprocket if he is not jumping?

Thanks for all your help

Tom Petrick

selbygirl
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
we use maxima mtl 80 wght tranny oil you can buy at most bike shops we buy our parts from hot quads or g- force the kick starter i would try to clean and lube that spring is a pain in the but to put on i used a small zip tie and a screw driver to pop it on . the slipper sprocket me my self would keep it on good insurance just torq it at 105 every once in a while. the rad coolint i use the pre mix stuff you buy at auto parts store bin running it for years in two of our bikes never had eny problems spare parts maybe a belt torq spring air filters most parts you can get in 2or 3 days take care tommy

Christiansdad
03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
I am pretty new with these things also. One thing that helped me out was the owners manual. It covered the basics on caring for it and how tune some things and also what to expect. I am sure you can get one printed out. I did read threw it real fast but some quads are different from another.

cslag
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Where do you do dirt drags at? Mason Dixon or BBDR

o4twinpeaks
03-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Mason Dixon is our local track. Going to do a few down at Somersetatv in crisfield md also. Might do a few trips this year out to Bedford. The boy is getting more into scouts this year so we may not be doing as many races this year as I thought.

Logan #34's Dad
03-12-2011, 10:33 PM
As far as roller weight; do what g-force says - at least to start. Your rear torque Spring will need refreshed often. I use synthetic Mobile One automobile transmission fluid. Get it Advanced Auto. Less drag.
Apex a-arm bushings; call Justin at MaximumRPM.
Coolant; Engine Ice - Advanced Auto or your local bike shop.
Your spring in the kicker is more than likely fine. After you pull the belt cover off the side of the engine, look inside and you'll see a 50 cent piece sized round "gear". When you push the kicker down (while holding the cover in your hand) you'll see this "gear" spin. There is a wishbone clip around this gear. Little WD40 there and it will be freed up. You'll have to do this every once in awhile. Don't overdo the WD40 because you don't wanna get it anywhere near the cvt system.
Extra parts; transmission gears, belt, extra torque springs, extra rollers, get yourself a metric bolt kit. Lock-tite. Different sprockets. Cordless impact and drill.
Brake pads - as long as they fit they'll be good.
Slipper Sprocket; I'd leave it on. Torque every so often.
Hope this helps.

cslag
03-13-2011, 10:59 AM
If you are only doing dirt drags and a little trail riding you don't need the slipper. That's just one more thing in drag racing that you have to make sure is working properly. We even drag race on asphalt with his quad hooking up hard and have never broken a tranny gear.

rd2005
03-14-2011, 10:13 PM
The posts here have got you going in the right direction. At the races this weekend we had the kick start sticking & we cleaned it. Logan #34 Dad is correct.
The torque spring is what we are needing to change as well but you will need a tool to help remove & put in.
For the transmission oil for our 08 90cc we put 4oz of 75 weight gear oil.
I would keep the slipper sprocket.
For Technical help/manuals/troubleshooting I would recommend visiting Apex website at
http://www.apexatv.com & click on Technical Support tab. If you need further info email Apex they are super helpful.
You can also contact West Coast Quads in AZ http://www.westcoastquads.com about the manuals/race specs/maintanance info. Just click on Technical Support tab as well.
Parts to keep on hand not mentioned are spark plug, extra slipper sprocket discs, torque wrench with I believe 33mm or 1 1/4" set to 110 foot pounds torque for the slipper sprocket nut. We tighten ours after every race but thats cause we do mx.
Good luck with your machine. :)

o4twinpeaks
03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the help.

Gary at gforce has come through on all the parts so far and we have a new variator and a whole slew of tuning parts on the way. Opened up the cvt cover and fixed the kick starter on sunday. Works great now. The original variator was toast along with the rollers. All bushings in arms replaced. New pipe is on and new brakes and fluid also.

Now the fun comes of tuning in a new clutch!!!!!
:devil: :eek2: :scary: