PDA

View Full Version : Anybody take a stroll around a new car lot lately?

yellowzo3
02-27-2011, 12:26 PM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: is all I have to say. Dad and I stopped at a dealer today to check out the new Camaro's up close (closest I've seen one is just driving on the road)... While we were there we checked out a bunch of cars to see where prices were at. We were blown away, and I find it hard to believe everyone driving these on the road can afford them.

2wd Silverados- ~$29,000
Escalades- $76,000+
Tahoes- $50,000+
Camaro 2SS- $39,000 (Doesn't seem too bad of a price to be honest)
Acadias- $33,000+
Z71 Silverados- $35,000
Silverado Denali- $54,000

Of course prices vary depending on trim levels and such but we checked out all the trim levels we could find and they are all very close to the prices listed above.

Is it just me or are these prices insane? There were no base model (Work Truck) Silverado's so I couldn't get prices on those... So on the lot I couldn't find a 4wd truck for under $30,000. Wtf is that!?

The only Ford I can remember is a new F250. It was just a base model standard cab 4wd with the gas V8... $35,000... :eek2:

I doubt I'll ever buy a new vehicle if prices are this high.

Anyone else get sticker shock lately? We saw a few people pull in to the dealer, look at a couple prices, and leave in less than 10 minutes lol.

kyleschonert
02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure where your from, but around here, I just had a buddy buy a brand new '11 Sierra 2WD EXT CAB, Cloth Seating, with the smaller V8 for 22K. And it came with a chrome grill, exhaust tip, and a bed liner that the dealer added in on top.

Fred55
02-27-2011, 12:38 PM
http://ca.jalopnik.com/5761265/ram-1500-adventurer-is-a-hemi-on-the-cheap. It'll be hard to beat that.....5.7 hemi for 23k

yellowzo3
02-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm in central New Jersey ....Your buddies deal seems like what these trucks should be costing. Especially for something 2wd.

The only leather interior pickup I could find was the Denali.

BoneStockHonda
02-27-2011, 12:47 PM
average price of a car in America is just a hair over $29,000....

400exrider707
02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Try pricing out a new diesel.

F350 CC/SB Lariat 6.7 powerstroke is around $60k.

I tried finding the cheapest 4x4 6.7 powerstroke I could... it was a regular cab long bed XL pretty bare bones, 4x4 with the powerstroke and it was $45k.

Canadian144
02-27-2011, 02:25 PM
You guys think thats bad.... look at Canadian prices. Even with our dollar being equal right now.... almost every vehicle is at least 10 grand more up here.

Our 09 Subaru STI was $45,000.... down in the Us they go for like 35k. 09 F150 FX4 luxury was $54,000.... luckily bought it during employee pricing (paid $44ish). Moms 09 G37x coupe was over 50k.

It's no wonder the used car market is doing so well right now.

Scro
02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Americans have been brainwashed into thinking in terms of monthly payments. Alot of people believe they will always have a car payment. So as long as they can afford that month-to-month, they don't care how much money they are throwing away.

426kidz
02-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I been savin for a bit now, i wanna buy a nice used 5250 or the newer f150...cash no payments gotta buy used these days:(

1fastR
02-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: is all I have to say. Dad and I stopped at a dealer today to check out the new Camaro's up close (closest I've seen one is just driving on the road)... While we were there we checked out a bunch of cars to see where prices were at. We were blown away, and I find it hard to believe everyone driving these on the road can afford them.

2wd Silverados- ~$29,000
Escalades- $76,000+
Tahoes- $50,000+
Camaro 2SS- $39,000 (Doesn't seem too bad of a price to be honest)
Acadias- $33,000+
Z71 Silverados- $35,000
Silverado Denali- $54,000

Of course prices vary depending on trim levels and such but we checked out all the trim levels we could find and they are all very close to the prices listed above.

Is it just me or are these prices insane? There were no base model (Work Truck) Silverado's so I couldn't get prices on those... So on the lot I couldn't find a 4wd truck for under $30,000. Wtf is that!?

The only Ford I can remember is a new F250. It was just a base model standard cab 4wd with the gas V8... $35,000... :eek2:

I doubt I'll ever buy a new vehicle if prices are this high.

Anyone else get sticker shock lately? We saw a few people pull in to the dealer, look at a couple prices, and leave in less than 10 minutes lol.

first how old are you and how much do you make a year?

these prices might shock a kid making 20k a year, thats what new cars cost in todays market. time travel back 40 years and new cars cost 4k

my new crew cab sierra was 35k and she has a newer envoy, but me and my wife are almost 30 and have good full time jobs, not that bad

426kidz
02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
im 20 and I make good money with a good full time job...and not many bills. they still shock me and my dad who makes good money would still be shocked,lol id never buy new

426kidz
02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
low income high prices just donw work...thats why you see them cars sittin there all year and or know the people driving them have ****ty credit scores;)

BlaineKaiser450
02-27-2011, 03:11 PM
New car prices are rediculous. I personally would never waste my time buying new because a brand new 2011 6.7 Cummins retails for say, 64,000. On craigslist, theres countless 2010s with like 10k on them for 35 grand or so. That is still pretty expensive, but there are deals out there to be had

426kidz
02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
def, i been lookin everyday alot of good deals...most come from the people who think they can afford them than realize...nope i have too sell to pay off!!:D

slightlybent47
02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
And they wonder why new car sails are slow. You can thank your federal government for driving the price up with all the regulations they force car makers to comply to.
Changing the body stile every few years and having to re tool for every change they make doesn’t help ether.
Also if they would make parts more universal it would save us millions.

A deal is not a deal if you can’t afford it!

426kidz
02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
yeah and they can only sell what people will buy or pay for it...stop buying new cars people!!;)

yellowzo3
02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 1fastR
first how old are you and how much do you make a year?

these prices might shock a kid making 20k a year, thats what new cars cost in todays market. time travel back 40 years and new cars cost 4k

my new crew cab sierra was 35k and she has a newer envoy, but me and my wife are almost 30 and have good full time jobs, not that bad

I'm 23... I'm a carpenter so you work when there's work. Times are slow right now so lots of guys are sitting home for half a year. But unless I was a millionaire, I'd have a hard time dropping that amount of money no matter what my income.

I think the prices shock everyone though. $35k is a lot for someone to drop on a truck. If you can afford it, that's awesome. But like Scro said, people look the other way when they see the MSRP... As long as they've got an extra $499 a month, they've got themselves a new car. But that's probably the only way most of the country can afford one nowadays (or leasing).

It's not even like these cars are really built in America. And the body panels feel like tin foil. I dunno, I guess that's acceptable to most of the country, but I know a bunch of guys on here as well as car guys across the country are shaking their heads at what's rolling out of the factories for the prices they're asking.

But I guess we still need people to buy new cars so there are used ones for us to choose from!

As for me, well, I'll be in the used car section if you need me :p

slightlybent47
02-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Actually some of that thin sheet metal is better then it use to be. Yes it’s thinner but is a better alloy. Cars are now made to crumple up in the front and rear and the passenger cage is stiff to protect you. It’s all about the car absorbing the impact and not the driver.
All of witch is mandated by the government. 35K plus a high finance rate and stretching the payment out to six years so the monthly payment will stay under $600.00 a month.
You end up spending closer to 45K by the time it’s over.

Rich250RRacer
02-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Not only are new car prices high, but look at used car prices too. It is a documented fact that our wonderful president's Cash for Clunckers program was a complete bust and actually did very little to create sales of new cars (most buyers where those who had planned to buy and either held off until the program went into effect or moved there purchase up to take advantage of the rebate). What the program did do is cause a spike in used car prices that's still being felt today, since there's less used vehicles available on the market, and that's not just on the beater type cars either. I've been looking at replacing one of my older trucks with a nice 1/2 ton 4x4, and I'm seeing 2003-2004 models selling for $17000-18000, with mileage closing in on 100,000. I can't justify that kind of money for a 7-8 year old truck with high miles.

JBENSON
02-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I would not buy new either! Buy a vehicle a couple years old with 30-40k on it and save about 50% of a new one! A vehicle a couple years old is still almost like new. I just bought my wife a flawless 2009 Subaru legacy, loaded with 19k on it and saved about 10 grand over a new one! Plus its a certified pre owned and got 2.9% financing.

extremeblastr
02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
my old man just picked up a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the rock warrior package and every option for 31k in november...doesn't seem like a terrible deal to me

Rich250RRacer
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
my old man just picked up a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the rock warrior package and every option for 31k in november...doesn't seem like a terrible deal to me

It's not a bad deal, but what kind of deal is an 8 year old GMC for $18000? With 79000 on it.

Ruby Soho
02-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Im quite content with used vehicles.:D

chucked
02-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Just bought a 2011 f150 2wd moderately loaded for 25k. Gotta haggle. Sticker was 32K

dgmiller
02-28-2011, 05:22 AM
I purchased a '09 chevy crewcab duramax ltz about a year ago with a sticker of $58xxx I think I got it for $52xxx and I'm not buying any more new vehicles for hopefully along time.

mx8
02-28-2011, 07:27 AM
A new car is the worst investment anyone can make. I hear people all the time say well the payment is only 500 dollars. No one thinks about everything else.
Car Payment= 500
Ins= 100
gas a month= 200 depends on driving

800 dollars a month. And for what ?

CJM
02-28-2011, 07:59 AM
I will not ever buy a new car unless I really find a deal.

I much prefer to buy a leased trade in or someone who cant afford the car and needs to sell it. So what it has 50k or so on it, I suppose some can ruin cars in that amount of time-but usually its still fairly solid at that point.

My old boss whom i still talk to buys work vans for his roadside service biz.Buying new wouldnt be insane as all we did was put miles on them. He buys nothing but GM and Ford vans with 100K+ on them, sure they need repairs down the line but you can beat 3k for a than that was originally 25k or more.

Not only are prices new insane, but the cars themselves arent built as well as you would think and my favorite is now since everything is all computer controlled good luck working on it unless you have access to a scanner tool (and a good one at that). Also, anyone notice how the new trend is to make everything out of VERY cheap plastic. I sat in my friends 11 F150 and its an XLT and the interior feels cheaper than my 94 F250!

Nope, not ever buying a new car unless I find that deal. Just not worth it to me. Course if I had the money to buy it and have a note of less than 10k, but still. Look on craigslist and you often find a newer vehicle with less than 25k on it MUCH lower than you will ever pay at a dealer. So what theres no warranty and its used-your saving like nearly half the cost sometimes.

MX MaNiAc 06
11-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I just bought a brand new 5.3 silverado ext cab. For about a year now i have been back and fourth on whether to get new or used.. Here is why i got myself a brand new vehicle..

I do travel work in texas. I drive about 1000 miles a week or week and a half. I have Onstar and a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. Interest rates are significantly better when buying new. I got 8k off the sticker price. I got every option i wanted. I have a reliable vehicle that can haul my belongings around the country without worrying about breaking down and being out a vehicle. If it breaks down.. Onstars got me. If something needs replaced at the dealer Chevy is gonna give me something to drive. Not everyone drives as many miles as i do or has the same purpose for their vehicle but after weighing the options i felt it was smarter in my case to buy new.

HondaRacing83
11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
my dad just bought my mom a brand new nissan murano. no clue how much, prob alot. in 2008 my dad bought a brand new silverado z71 4wd lt with pretty good options for 24k. there was so many rebates going. his was gray stone metallic, he wanted that fire engine red. well a week ago he started talking to the local dealer and got the exact same truck but red and 2011 for his truck and 4k. not bad IMHO. now the garage looks like christmas lol. bright red truck sitting next to a big bright green john deere lol

OldGuyonaQuad
11-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I think a new vehicle depreciates 20% the second u drive it off the lot and unless u live in CA don't blame the government for the higher prices thank the UAW.

slightlybent47
11-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I bought a 94 Silverado new and still drive it everyday.lol

CJM
11-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Rebates or not, Im not buying a new vehicle as I stated earlier in this thread-its pointless.

Just because its new and has a warranty doesnt mean:
A. They will happily repair your vehicle under warranty. Its a joke usually, you bring it in and they claim nothings wrong with it or claim its not covered. Warranty means zilch to me when they try and squirm out of it every inch of the way about 80-90% of the time. A perfect example was a jeep my mom once had, from the day we picked it up brand new it had a trans issue, we fought tooth and nail for 6 months till they fixed it and then a few years later same crap and they claimed we offroaded the thing cause it had a massive crack in it (under carriage was SPOTLESS) we had to fight again!

B. Why pay 50k for a brand new one when I can pay half that for only 2-3 years old? Unless the brand new one has some option or feature you must have why bother?

C. If its an older vehicle chances are any problems it did have, have already been repaired by now.

D. Just cause its new doesnt mean its better than something older. Newer the vehicle the cheaper its made these days.

Sorry thanks but no thanks, ill buy used. Course being able to fix it myself and know exactly what Im buying most of the time has its distinct advantages over a person who cant work on their own or knows what to look for. If a person wants to spend thier hard earned money on a new car thats fine by me, I surely wouldnt.

I bought my toyota for 6k when it had 175k and a new engine (owner ran it out of oil) and now it has 220k and other than a few quirks and small issues Id say I got my moneys worth.

Tommy Warren
11-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I was a salesman at a kia dealership and people are buying those up left right and center. I paid 10 grand plus tax for a kia rio Its been paid off for 2 years and I've changed the oil and replaced one belt....might be one of the best investments I've made... but it is ugly

CJM
11-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I was a salesman at a kia dealership and people are buying those up left right and center. I paid 10 grand plus tax for a kia rio Its been paid off for 2 years and I've changed the oil and replaced one belt....might be one of the best investments I've made... but it is ugly

And how much were they selling if they had 25k on the clock...6 grand???

Tommy Warren
11-12-2011, 08:56 AM
pretty much...its a good car to drive until you can't drive anymore

Pipeless416
11-12-2011, 11:02 AM
the other thing is there's really nothing out there that catches my attention. i like raw, mechanical cars.. not the overpriced computer with wheels that you find on the lots. my next car will definitely be an 04ish zo6 or 04 cobra. affordable and appealing to me.

i will NEVER buy a car new.

Tommy Warren
11-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
the other thing is there's really nothing out there that catches my attention. i like raw, mechanical cars.. not the overpriced computer with wheels that you find on the lots. my next car will definitely be an 04ish zo6 or 04 cobra. affordable and appealing to me.

i will NEVER buy a car new.

switching to a mustang is smart:devil:

Pipeless416
11-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
switching to a mustang is smart:devil:

that's the only one i would ever switch to haha. i've gone to the dark side and i'm perfectly content there.

buck440
11-12-2011, 02:53 PM
too bad they don't have the 12v mechanical injection in the new dodges:(

KXRida
11-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I hear yah on the prices. It's hard to find a good used truck for reasonable prices, but I can't complain with my f250. I guess if you want to big toys gotta pay for them. I did go and price out a new 2012 5.0 gt with trade in of my 02 gt. They just added the "stang" package to it as well. 20'' wheels with falken's, color matched silver/red interior, catback exhaust, and a red stripe kit. I think they want 31K for the car as it sits now which honestly isn't that bad atleast compared to the camaro's. I told them if they get me owing 15K out the door with my trade in I'll buy it. They didn't wanna move too much on it so I'll pass. I don't need the car but it would be nice. They previously had the car advertised for 26,600 so I find it hard to believe the stang packaged added 5k to the overall price tag.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0107.jpg

Pacheco_450r
11-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I bought a 94 Silverado new and still drive it everyday.lol

Those mid to late 90's silverados go forever. Last real truck ever built in my opinion.

HondaRacing83
11-12-2011, 03:56 PM
your gt is sick/

cannondale27
11-12-2011, 04:01 PM
There is alot to be said for having a great looking,powerful, reliable,plush new vehicle especially if you dont have time to fix used yourself.Many people have gotten new cars/trucks by progressively getting better used cars/trucks.Might take 10 or 20 years to finally get to point where a new one doesnt eat up your budget but thats how I got my first new one.Many older used ones,alot of maintenance done myself and a little luck that none of the old ones I ran were crashed or had major failures and were still worth something when I was ready to trade or sell.A new vehicle definitely should not be a top priority especially since almost anything lasts well over 100000 mi now.Just a nice luxury you get when time is right.

KXRida
11-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
your gt is sick/

it's slow to me. Looks good though.

Sad part is there's over 100K worth of vehicles sitting in my driveway and that's not all of them.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0117.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/IMAG0116.jpg

buck440
11-12-2011, 04:33 PM
^^^^ i must say, i absolutely hate the new diesel motors ford uses but they make probably the best looking trucks when lifted.

KXRida
11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by buck440
^^^^ i must say, i absolutely hate the new diesel motors ford uses but they make probably the best looking trucks when lifted.

I'm not a big fan of the 6.7's either, but it's hard to argue with the fuel mileage they're getting. I went with a 2010 for that fact it still has the 6.4. This is the second 6.4 I've had and I love them.

HondaRacing83
11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
oh man, a navigator to? i hope your not leasing those. you my sir realllyyyy persuade me to be a murse.

KXRida
11-12-2011, 04:43 PM
oh man, a navigator to? i hope your not leasing those. you my sir realllyyyy persuade me to be a murse.

That's the old lady's. It's a good profession. She does the same thing I do.

HondaRacing83
11-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
That's the old lady's. It's a good profession. She does the same thing I do. theyre not leased right? god do you even have a garage to keep all those?!

KXRida
11-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I'd never lease a vehicle. No, but hopefully a garage is in the works.

HondaRacing83
11-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I'd never lease a vehicle. No, but hopefully a garage is in the works. good and good! how long was it in college to be a nurse or rn?

KXRida
11-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I went for 2 years my girl friend went for 4.

honda400ex2003
11-13-2011, 09:39 AM
fun thread to read through so far.

me personally- i cant wait to lease a car just to get rid of it every few years to get something new.

the only two cars ill have that wont be new are my h2 ill buy next summer and a corvette sometime.

im tired of working on old stuff... we have 6 cars as a family and i do the wrenching on all of them. our newest is an 03 burb. my sister has as an 02 vue.

the rest are 97s. silverado, explorer, corolla, and a sunfire. the explorer and sunfire are mine and the rest are my mom and dads.

my days of working on stuff are dwindling on used old stuff. my hummer is going to be my project vehicle and will either keep my sunfire for a while to drive that as my daily or get rid of it and find a small new car to drive when i want.

just takes some time and patience to get what is wanted. priorities have to be in order and budget for what you want to buy.

steve

HondaRacing83
11-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
fun thread to read through so far.

me personally- i cant wait to lease a car just to get rid of it every few years to get something new.

the only two cars ill have that wont be new are my h2 ill buy next summer and a corvette sometime.

im tired of working on old stuff... we have 6 cars as a family and i do the wrenching on all of them. our newest is an 03 burb. my sister has as an 02 vue.

the rest are 97s. silverado, explorer, corolla, and a sunfire. the explorer and sunfire are mine and the rest are my mom and dads.

my days of working on stuff are dwindling on used old stuff. my hummer is going to be my project vehicle and will either keep my sunfire for a while to drive that as my daily or get rid of it and find a small new car to drive when i want.

just takes some time and patience to get what is wanted. priorities have to be in order and budget for what you want to buy.

steve if you want a beater, buy a pontiac vibe. same this as a toyota matrix just cheaper with great gas mileage.

honda400ex2003
11-13-2011, 10:16 AM
i drive a sunfire now that does a great job with 30 mpg or so when i drive nice.

i would never own a vibe lol

steve

HondaRacing83
11-13-2011, 10:38 AM
i drive a sunfire now that does a great job with 30 mpg or so when i drive nice.

i would never own a vibe lol

steve why its a toyota with a pontiac emblems practically lol

CJM
11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
LOL. Yea steve its seriously a toyota matrix/corolla with a pontiac emblem.

HondaRacing83
11-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by CJM
LOL. Yea steve its seriously a toyota matrix/corolla with a pontiac emblem. do your research, it pretty much is a toyota matrix. the motor even says toyota on it. want me to go look because theres one sitting out in my driveway?!

honda400ex2003
11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
i will never own a vibe let alone a toyota... i dont care what the emblems are on them, esp after driving a vibe. it would have to be one sweet toyota before i would buy one.

steve

CJM
11-14-2011, 05:47 PM
i will never own a vibe let alone a toyota... i dont care what the emblems are on them, esp after driving a vibe. it would have to be one sweet toyota before i would buy one.

steve

I can honestly say I never had an issue with any toyota I ever owned. They all ran like tops and lasted many, many hundreds of thousands of miles. My T100 currently has 221k and still runs well and burns zero oil, my camry had 280k and the engine and trans was finally tired but I beat the heck out of it, my old 4runner I bought that was basically a rustbox still ran super well even if the rest was only so so.

Ive also worked on cars a long time my friend GM's arent built all to well, chryslers forget about it and fords are actually pretty good.

Heres one for domestic lovers: this past week while driving my tow truck I had to go out to a early 00's chevy malibu. It cranked and cranked and cranked and wouldnt start. I checked fuel pressure at the rail..nothing...typical the pumps on its way out. I banged the tank as they started it, roared to life. NEVER have I EVER had to do this to a honda, toyota or nissan. Chevys, all the time..

My other favorite thing about GM cars is the built in passkey security system. Either the chips in the keys wear out or arent recognized..and your sol and stuck waiting till the vehicle decides to start.

Just saying

honda400ex2003
11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
i never stated that they werent good quality or werent built well...

i simply stated i would not buy one.

my mom has a 97 corolla, it is alright for a 97 corolla and thats all. it is a noisy rattle trap of a car.

Ive rode in new corollas, prius, and other toyotas and they are fine. just doesnt appeal to me.

steve

HondaRacing83
11-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I can honestly say I never had an issue with any toyota I ever owned. They all ran like tops and lasted many, many hundreds of thousands of miles. My T100 currently has 221k and still runs well and burns zero oil, my camry had 280k and the engine and trans was finally tired but I beat the heck out of it, my old 4runner I bought that was basically a rustbox still ran super well even if the rest was only so so.

Ive also worked on cars a long time my friend GM's arent built all to well, chryslers forget about it and fords are actually pretty good.

Heres one for domestic lovers: this past week while driving my tow truck I had to go out to a early 00's chevy malibu. It cranked and cranked and cranked and wouldnt start. I checked fuel pressure at the rail..nothing...typical the pumps on its way out. I banged the tank as they started it, roared to life. NEVER have I EVER had to do this to a honda, toyota or nissan. Chevys, all the time..

My other favorite thing about GM cars is the built in passkey security system. Either the chips in the keys wear out or arent recognized..and your sol and stuck waiting till the vehicle decides to start.

Just saying cummins DOES make a good motor. if you could take that motor and wrap it in a body that wont rust, itd be a hell of a truck. there was a time where they started putting cummins in fords for a very very short period of time. cummins want so much mo0ney for a contract with engines and dodge/chrysler was ****ing around and not wanting to pay it. they got word of them with ford and immediatly payed it, theyd go straight down the ****ter without it. ford would put them out. fords with cummins are very very rare andbig bucks, one hell of a truck though..

honda400ex2003
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
im still baffled as to how you guys got onto the whole toyota whine session... one dumb comment on a toyota and we have almost a page worth of crap related to a car i said nothing about in my first post and will never own. sad to see...

i wont be driving a beater, let alone anything that i dont want to drive. Ill make sure of both of those things. i dont want to work on my cars unless i want to for reasons other than maintenance.

steve

buck440
11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
**** toyota. i worked at a toyota plant and they hire nothing but criminals that work for minimum wage and it's almost like your a slave. if you want to fart you have to ask for permission. you mess up the slightest bit you'll have 10 5ft asians up your *** all wing chong chonging their asses of at you as if you knew what the **** they were saying.

after a week there i got back from lunch early and went to my station like some people did and here comes ho chi men yelling at me as if i just spit in his general tosu's chicken. i just walked away from charlie and went home.

btw that's not why i hate toyota.

ben300
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
im still baffled as to how you guys got onto the whole toyota whine session... one dumb comment on a toyota and we have almost a page worth of crap related to a car i said nothing about in my first post and will never own. sad to see...

i wont be driving a beater, let alone anything that i dont want to drive. Ill make sure of both of those things. i dont want to work on my cars unless i want to for reasons other than maintenance.

steve

+100000000000

you may save money buying used, which in a way is a good thing....but to me, now that i have a good job and bought a new vehicle...

...but, buying a new vehicle is like ****ing a virgin....you dont have any baggage, and you get to break it in, and that ***** will aways be yours!....:devil:

MX MaNiAc 06
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
That's the old lady's. It's a good profession. She does the same thing I do.

You ever work as a traveling RN? Highest rate ive heard is 63 an hour for a traveling RN in Oklahoma!

honda400ex2003
11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
got that right! i buy new whenever possible. :D just for less headaches.

great feeling to ride around in some new cars. I worked at a gm dealership for a couple of summers cruising around in brand new 07 vehicles. every chevy and buick made in 07 i rode in plus all of the used cars on the lot, 02 vette and such was fun to take for a ride every now and again.

cheers to new stuff! oh and the virgin vehicles too, cant forget that!

steve

nkillian9
11-15-2011, 06:05 AM
ive owned 2 new rides and several used ones, lol i finally got ahead on my ford xlt f150 4x4 and sold it while i was ahead lol i actually sold it when i got word the ltrs were no longer gonna be sold, so i sold it to pick up my virgin quad as yall would say and got a 97 nissan pickup for a grand lol everything works including ac, and i can haul dang near the heaviest 450 around at 30 mpg, i couldnt be happier, it may not be the coolest truck but my passion is my quad and my house, so when someone makes fun of my truck at least my house was a good investment, not much land only 5 acres but hey its enuff for a track

ben300
11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by nkillian9
ive owned 2 new rides and several used ones, lol i finally got ahead on my ford xlt f150 4x4 and sold it while i was ahead lol i actually sold it when i got word the ltrs were no longer gonna be sold, so i sold it to pick up my virgin quad as yall would say and got a 97 nissan pickup for a grand lol everything works including ac, and i can haul dang near the heaviest 450 around at 30 mpg, i couldnt be happier, it may not be the coolest truck but my passion is my quad and my house, so when someone makes fun of my truck at least my house was a good investment, not much land only 5 acres but hey its enuff for a track

...nothing wrong with buying a car...you just experienced though the problem that a TON of americans these days are having with cars, houses, boats, hookers, jewelry, college,.........they are buying WAY out of their price range and are loosing there *** because they can't afford to make the payments for their vehicle, let alone the $300k 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 1 acre home they bought, their credit cards, adn school lonas......

theres nothing wrong with buying used, but theres nothign wrong wiht buying new either...just buy within your means...i would have loved to buy a brand new crew cab powerstroke f250 straight out of college, but i knew, wiht only making $60k a year, i didnt want to have to juggle a $1000+ a month payment, along with paying back my $20k in school loans..

so i went out and got something practical...bought my jeep. i did get it fully loaded, but i got them down from $28k to $23k, adn i put $3000 down, and financed it for 48 months.....the dealer thought i was insane for financing for 48 months instead of 60 or 72.......sure my payemtn its higher than other peoples, $465.80 a month, but im only paying $900 somethign in interest over the life of the loan, will be payed off in 4 years, adn ill still have some equity in the vehicle to trade it in on a nice truck or something once its payed off...

people just need to learn to be smart with their money adn their choices these days

MX MaNiAc 06
11-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ben300
...nothing wrong with buying a car...you just experienced though the problem that a TON of americans these days are having with cars, houses, boats, hookers, jewelry, college,.........they are buying WAY out of their price range and are loosing there *** because they can't afford to make the payments for their vehicle, let alone the $300k 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 1 acre home they bought, their credit cards, adn school lonas......

theres nothing wrong with buying used, but theres nothign wrong wiht buying new either...just buy within your means...i would have loved to buy a brand new crew cab powerstroke f250 straight out of college, but i knew, wiht only making $60k a year, i didnt want to have to juggle a $1000+ a month payment, along with paying back my $20k in school loans..

so i went out and got something practical...bought my jeep. i did get it fully loaded, but i got them down from $28k to $23k, adn i put $3000 down, and financed it for 48 months.....the dealer thought i was insane for financing for 48 months instead of 60 or 72.......sure my payemtn its higher than other peoples, $465.80 a month, but im only paying $900 somethign in interest over the life of the loan, will be payed off in 4 years, adn ill still have some equity in the vehicle to trade it in on a nice truck or something once its payed off...

people just need to learn to be smart with their money adn their choices these days

Agreed. One of my buddy's just got his 2010 silverado repo'd last week... that hurts to even hear about.

My payments about the same. Who wants to make payments on a vehicle for 6 years? I made two payments on mine already and only got it two weeks ago. haha

ben300
11-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Agreed. One of my buddy's just got his 2010 silverado repo'd last week... that hurts to even hear about.

My payments about the same. Who wants to make payments on a vehicle for 6 years? I made two payments on mine already and only got it two weeks ago. haha

the sad part is, thats what peopel have been tricked into doing for the better part of a decade....when you finance a vehicle for 60, 72, and i guess people are now doing 84 month loans, and you get liek 6,7,10% apr, your paying a ton of interest on that loan, adn are paying way more than what you should, and people have been suckered into this gimmick...

also, when you finance a vehicle for that long, and lets just say you do keep it and pay it off, your not gonna have much equity in the vehicle when you go to trade it in on the next vehicle....jsut dumb....

if i could have got the 0% APR and swung the monthly payment on a 36 month loan for my jeep, id of done it...but i still have school loans and eventually want to get my own place, so i had to get a loan i was comfortable paying...

also to me...leasing a vehicle, is essentially just as financially stupid as getting a 72 month loan......especially for me....ive had my jeep for a few days less than 6 months adn i already have 13k on it....ya i drive 350 miles a week for work...

DEAL
11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
i never stated that they werent good quality or werent built well...

i simply stated i would not buy one.

my mom has a 97 corolla, it is alright for a 97 corolla and thats all. it is a noisy rattle trap of a car.

Ive rode in new corollas, prius, and other toyotas and they are fine. just doesnt appeal to me.

steve

"noisy rattle trap of a car", and you said you drive a sunfire? LOL

honda400ex2003
11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
mine isnt much better... i had 2 12" subs in my truck for years so i never really paid attention to the rattles.

at least my sunfire doesnt have snow tires on it. LOL that corolla howls like a wolf!

steve

buck440
11-16-2011, 05:18 AM
the word rattle was created by the first person who drove a hatch back.

KXRida
11-16-2011, 06:14 AM
cummins DOES make a good motor. if you could take that motor and wrap it in a body that wont rust, itd be a hell of a truck. there was a time where they started putting cummins in fords for a very very short period of time. cummins want so much mo0ney for a contract with engines and dodge/chrysler was ****ing around and not wanting to pay it. they got word of them with ford and immediatly payed it, theyd go straight down the ****ter without it. ford would put them out. fords with cummins are very very rare andbig bucks, one hell of a truck though..

Late 80's early 90's I think is when that occurred. Honestly cummin's are over rated if you ask me. I didn't mind the 5.9's but the 6.7's are a turd IMO. Test drove quite a few when I was truck shopping (stock & tuned) and wasn't impressed after previously owning a 6.4 stroke. Ford had an abiding contract with navistar til 2010 so any rumors of a cummins/cat motor were just that, rumors then the obvious release of the ford built 6.7. Medium duty trucks are a different story, but as far as the light duty trucks I don't think you'll see a cummin's/ford merger anytime soon.

You ever work as a traveling RN? Highest rate ive heard is 63 an hour for a traveling RN in Oklahoma!

Nah I like to stay local and settle down. I am thinking about going to the prisons though. Better pay, less work, and I can retire about 15 years earlier. If I didn't have so many family ties here I was going to apply for a job in harrisburg for the state police academy. 8-4:30 monday through friday. How hard could it be taking care of police cadets that scrape themselves up? Some of the agency and float RN's are making upwards for $40 an hour but IMO that's a risky position to be in. They could cut you at anytime and you're not guaranteed hours.

I only pay 2.9% interest on my truck loan so I can argue with that at all.

ben300
11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
I only pay 2.9% interest on my truck loan so I can argue with that at all.

i got 1.4% for 48 mo through citizens auto fianance....i wanted to get 0.9% through chrysler, and i got approved for it, but i didnt want to have a $530+ a month payment for 36 months(eventhough id of payed like $200 in total interest over the life of the loan on a $22,xxx.xx loan!)....

KXRida
11-16-2011, 01:09 PM
nice that's a smoking interest rate. I got mine through my credit union. Payment is still a little salty but it'll be paid off in 4 years.

ben300
11-16-2011, 01:33 PM
nice that's a smoking interest rate. I got mine through my credit union. Payment is still a little salty but it'll be paid off in 4 years.

ya..i was shocked when they approved me without a cosigner, but my credit score was also 760, so...i didnt need a cosigner..

..i got a cabelas visa my freshmen year of college and was like "muslim" hardcore religious with paying it off and making my payments on time...then i got an american eagle visa (gay, i know, but i buy alot of clothes from there), and im just as dilligent with my payments and paying it off....so ive been trying to build good credit for about 5 years now so i could get a good car loan.....which, in return, it worked out.

CJM
11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Speaking of credit score, believe it or not keeping a small balance every so often improves your score.

I have a score of 710 and was told it would be higher if only I carried a balance every so often. Amazing the bs they actually rate you on.

honda400ex2003
11-16-2011, 02:15 PM
if you dont mind saying whats your cred score? I think i can get a pretty decent rate with my score.

750 here at 23 yrs old dont miss payments, occasionally have a month that i keep some on the card but pay it next month, and dont have any loans except my college ones for the time being. Ill be done with school in May and consolidate them into 1 lump so i dont have to keep paying them all separate.

steve

KXRida
11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
if you dont mind saying whats your cred score? I think i can get a pretty decent rate with my score.

750 here at 23 yrs old dont miss payments, occasionally have a month that i keep some on the card but pay it next month, and dont have any loans except my college ones for the time being. Ill be done with school in May and consolidate them into 1 lump so i dont have to keep paying them all separate.

steve

Make sure they're willing to consolidate. That was my plan as well but my loan companies are *******s. I remember buying a brand new ktm a few years back and had it payed off in 6 months thinking it would jack my credit score way up. Turns out it didn't even change. A guy from the loan dept at my credit union said they want to see two years of solid on time payments to build credit. Honestly I stopped making double payments for that reason. I'll pay extra, but stopped making double payments. If you pull a loan out, they want to see you take the complete term to pay it off to build credit. Sounds stupid huh? Pay extra a month and it doesn't help your credit score.

honda400ex2003
11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
i will just do my student loans in one loan. If anything i will just take out enough of a loan to pay off all of the small ones and pay on the big one. I dont have any penalties for paying them off ahead of time so that is good. most of them are sub and unsubsidized loans from the govt and private stuff that i took out myself to the tune of 100 grand or so. :(

steve

ben300
11-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Speaking of credit score, believe it or not keeping a small balance every so often improves your score.

I have a score of 710 and was told it would be higher if only I carried a balance every so often. Amazing the bs they actually rate you on.

some say it does, some say it doesnt...i really honestly cant answer that for ya...some poeople carry a little ballance (right now i have a balance on both of my mine that ill pay off over the next 2-3 months), and some people dont.....for about the first 3 years i had my card i paid the cards off every single month....well, about a year ago, cabelas visa sent me a letter stating that they wre dropping my interest rate fomr i think it was 21% to 6%....so...basically, jsut make the payments, pay more than the min, if you can pay it all of, then you can't, but if you can pay the card of each month...do so...

also, honda400ex2003, credit agencies look at different types of credit differently.....paying a car loan on time, every month, or paying it off early while not missing a payment or making a late payment, looks better than just making a credit card payment...at least this is what the loan officer lady told me at one of the chrysler dealer ships i went to..

honestly, if you have a credit score over 720, your managing your stuff pretty good, and thats a respectable score for anyone these days.....old man just purchased a new crew cab 1500 z71 silvy last week, and his FICO credit score was 845...5 off being maxed out....

ben300
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
i will just do my student loans in one loan. If anything i will just take out enough of a loan to pay off all of the small ones and pay on the big one. I dont have any penalties for paying them off ahead of time so that is good. most of them are sub and unsubsidized loans from the govt and private stuff that i took out myself to the tune of 100 grand or so. :(

steve

ouch! :(

...i owe $27k...i personally feel extremely forturnate

honda400ex2003
11-16-2011, 02:36 PM
i am quite proud of having my score up at 750. I have had credit cards and loans on and off since i was 15. I got my first card at 15.

steve

CJM
11-16-2011, 02:38 PM
ouch! :(

...i owe $27k...i personally feel extremely forturnate

Indeed ouch, by the time Im done ill owe 25k at best. Good thing too, I dont want to pay it off till I die lol.

As for the balance thing, sometimes it works, sometimes meh IDK if they are honest about the bs they tell us. I can say that by accident I once transposed some numbers and the payment was like 5 bucks short or something. I had a citibank card at the time and what did they do?? Immediately they jacked my interest rate from like 9% to 22%. I paid off the rest of it and canceled the card. The guy on the other end couldnt understand why lol..

honda400ex2003
11-16-2011, 02:41 PM
i hope to have mine paid off in 5 years or 6 years.

steve

CJM
11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
i hope to have mine paid off in 5 years or 6 years.

steve

When Im done Ill have mine paid in maybe 3-4. You have 10 years to pay federal student loans usually.

honda400ex2003
11-16-2011, 02:46 PM
nice, hopefully i can get mine consolidated easily. that and my hummer payment will be the only things i have for a bit while i try to get them paid off as fast as possible after i am done.

after i get my car paid off i can look for a house to buy. lol

steve

KXRida
11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
where are you guys calculating your credit scores?

Another bit of information that I was told by my credit union loan dept is if you get approved for a loan and end up not taking it (ie, new car and don't want it) that can actually hurt your credit score as well. I did that when buying a new dirt bike. Wanted an rmz and bought a ktm so I had to submit new loan paperwork for the extra credit.

Kudo's to you guys who actually make the effort to pay your bills on time lol. I know so many people that struggle to make student loan payments let alone a house or vehicle payment.

CJM
11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Got my scores when I tried to take out a loan 2-3 years back. Sadly I didnt take the loan b/c they claimed I could get 8.7 APR for a 4 year loan but instead stuck me with 16% and a 36 month loan and told me thats all they would approve. I told them go to hell

honda400ex2003
11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
mine was directly from Discover Bank when i was approved for my last student loan in august.

Im not sure on what my full 3 set is off hand. I havent looked for a while now to see for sure.

you are correct about banks hitting your score and not taking the loan, ive heard that many times. i havent applied for a regular loan in quite some time. I had my atv and car payments a few years ago but they were not real high amounts. i had 4 grand on my sunfire when i bought it and im not sure on the 400ex. it has been a long time since i had a lone on that. both were paid off the summer i bought them though.

steve

MX MaNiAc 06
11-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Make sure they're willing to consolidate. That was my plan as well but my loan companies are *******s. I remember buying a brand new ktm a few years back and had it payed off in 6 months thinking it would jack my credit score way up. Turns out it didn't even change. A guy from the loan dept at my credit union said they want to see two years of solid on time payments to build credit. Honestly I stopped making double payments for that reason. I'll pay extra, but stopped making double payments. If you pull a loan out, they want to see you take the complete term to pay it off to build credit. Sounds stupid huh? Pay extra a month and it doesn't help your credit score.

I feel the same way. I dont wanna make payments for 4 years and pay interest on all that crap! Can't they see you're paying the friggin bills when you pay it off early?! There should be free oil changes for life if you pay it off 2 years early!

Pipeless416
11-16-2011, 07:39 PM
I feel the same way. I dont wanna make payments for 4 years and pay interest on all that crap! Can't they see you're paying the friggin bills when you pay it off early?! There should be free oil changes for life if you pay it off 2 years early!

yes, you're paying the bills on time, but they're not getting their interest that they want.

for example, anybody that pays off their credit cards in full every single month is basically a dead beat customer in the eyes of credit card companies.

KXRida
11-16-2011, 08:01 PM
yes, you're paying the bills on time, but they're not getting their interest that they want.

for example, anybody that pays off their credit cards in full every single month is basically a dead beat customer in the eyes of credit card companies.

As sad as it is to say its so true

XCRacer236
11-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Apparently I am a dead beat then.

CJM
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236

Yep..me too

ben300
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236

its not that your a dead beat...its just that they aint making money off ya.....it wont hurt your credit score at all...cause this is what i did, and i have a high credit score...but it just looks better in a creditors eyes if your make steady payments

ben300
11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
but then again, **** them...who wants to pay more money that what you have to

XCRacer236
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
its not that your a dead beat...its just that they aint making money off ya.....it wont hurt your credit score at all...cause this is what i did, and i have a high credit score...but it just looks better in a creditors eyes if your make steady payments

Yeah i know lol. The way I look at it, credit card companies have enough people by the balls right now. If i can be 1 person to give them the finger, I'll do it every single month I can! :devil:

Tommy Warren
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
i make just over 1200 a week and i just got approved for a second mortgage on another farm i want to buy for 540,000 ontop of the 460,000 farm I already own.....I'm a truck driver and beef farmer so how does that make sence at all. I thought you get approved on a mortgage for what you make in 3 years....I make no where nears 1,000,000 in 3 years.....but i wish i did

Pipeless416
11-16-2011, 08:53 PM
dead beat meaning they're not gaining anything by having you as a customer.. i'm proud to be a dead beat in that sense :p .

paying off a credit card consistently will only raise your score, but carrying a balance will not hurt it either as long as the minimum is paid each month. they also do not like to see more than a third of the maximum credit charged at once. for example, if your limit is 3000, you should never have over 1000 charged at any given time. although many of us have had to do it before. i have asked for a credit line increase when i had almost 3/4 of my credit line used that month because of an unexpected payment for school :rolleyes: . still got approved though :macho .

Scro
11-17-2011, 03:45 AM
It sounds like some of you need a little of this mans' philosophy in your life...or alot. :p

www.daveramsey.com