PDA

View Full Version : 440 stroker..

motochamp250
02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Done some searching and still can't really decide.. Want to hear from people running this setup..

Is this a good reliable motor? (416 bore and stroke 4mm) currently the ex is stock and in need of a rebuild so I'm considering this option with a cam port polish and the works.. Just wanting some opinions on the 440 stroker as I don't really want to bore larger than 416.. What would the power be like? Preferably people runnin this setup...
Thanks

Hunter

sheweezy
02-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Walk wit it.....hahahaha

Wheelie
02-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I built my 440 stroker in April of 06'--no issues to date and I run it very hard. Considering the various stages of tune throughout the years and the experimentation I've done, the reliability of this motor has been very impressive.

As with any engine build, buy quality parts, assemble it correctly and take care of the engine and it will last.

I do change the oil every 20-25 hours and I'm still running the stock head studs. If I were to do it all over again, I would have HD studs installed for peace of mind. Mine haven't caused me any problems, however.

Read my sig for my setup. This engine loves to rev, is very snappy and impresses a lot of people.

82toyota
02-27-2011, 02:21 PM
how much power u make

motochamp250
02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks wheelie.. The fast rev is the main reason I want to stay around 416... Ive thought about going ahead and replacing my crank and bearings and seals on the bottom end so I thought I might as well think about a stroker...

motochamp250
02-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I built my 440 stroker in April of 06'--no issues to date and I run it very hard. Considering the various stages of tune throughout the years and the experimentation I've done, the reliability of this motor has been very impressive.

As with any engine build, buy quality parts, assemble it correctly and take care of the engine and it will last.

I do change the oil every 20-25 hours and I'm still running the stock head studs. If I were to do it all over again, I would have HD studs installed for peace of mind. Mine haven't caused me any problems, however.

Read my sig for my setup. This engine loves to rev, is very snappy and impresses a lot of people.

What's the heat like? Does staying at 416 make it stay cooler? I guess I'm asking if you think the fan is necessary as I see it in your sig.... I was prolly just gonna run larger cooler...

BenHonda400ex
02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by motochamp250
What's the heat like? Does staying at 416 make it stay cooler? I guess I'm asking if you think the fan is necessary as I see it in your sig.... I was prolly just gonna run larger cooler... I wouldn't think you would need a fan unless you are running in the dune's or somewhere hot if you had the 416, I would think you would want just air scoops.. If you went to 440 you would probably want a fan

Wheelie
02-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Additional cooling is a good idea regardless of build type IMO. 400ex's run warm stock.

When I was still running gasoline, I had no issues of the bike getting too hot with the fan. The E-85 helps immensely with keeping the cylinder head temps down.

Miami_Vice454
02-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Wheelie, you ever had your bike dynoed? i would really like to see what kinda numbers you put out.

82toyota
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Miami_Vice454
[B]Wheelie, you ever had your bike dynoed? i would really like to see what kinda numbers you put out.

well i made 39.17 but i got a 416 10:5.1 piston stage 2 hot cam sparks carb fcr 39mm and sparks pipe.....stock head and stock crack....but u got to make 40+hp......but i would like to see how much power ur make and i well do a 4mm crack on mine

Wheelie
02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
I haven't had it on a dyno, although I would like to one of these days. I estimate my setup makes mid 40's hp.

drew416ex
02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
DO IT!! You wont be sorry. Very reliable. Ive had mine together for 3-4 years now with no problems. All ive done is normal maintenance and such. I had a 416 before and then did this. I wish I had done the stroker to begine with. As stated earlier, use good parts and take your time with it. I had mine dynoed a couple years ago and made 46hp :D so its all good. Wheelie has the powroll crank and I have the hotrods. Many people dont like the hotrods but I personally havnt had any problems. A big advantage with the powroll is you can use any piston made for the 400 vs with the hotrods you can only use a stroker crank. If I could go back I would prob go with the powroll.