PDA

View Full Version : Gt Thunder Linkage And Rebuild

moshachusetts
02-27-2011, 07:59 AM
i had my rear rebuilt by gt thunder and got the xc linkage as well. when i first put them on i was bottoming out on the frame so bad i destroyed my nerf bars. i called up gt thunder and went thru all the measurements with them and come to find out, they mistakingly put on a spring for a 135 lb rider and i'm 180.

so i sent it back and they put the correct spring on it and it is better but i still bottom out on the frame quite a bit, especially on whooped out sections.

anyone else hae this setup and do you bottom out alot?

Thanks

426kidz
02-27-2011, 08:35 AM
I would send it back again and get it set up for a 200lb rider...maybe then they will pu the 180lb spring in there hahah. shouldnt bottom out...and i would have them pay for my bars too thats BS:D

moshachusetts
02-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not going to bother with them anymore. The guy was a jerk when I called, gave me the whole "I can't be wrong, it must be something you did" speech. I told him about the nerfs and he said it wasn't his problem and that I should have called him before riding. And once we found out it was the wrong size spring, he clammed right up and just said send it back and I"ll fix it. Didn't even offer to pay for me to ship it back. So, even tho everyone on here says he's a great guy, he wasn't to me and lost my business from now on. Too bad to cuz I wanted him to build my motor into a 450 stroker. Guess I'll just have to find someone else. Plus all the other stuff I bought from him got destroyed after one ride. 400ex skid plate and yfz45 rotor and sprocket guards too, destroyed after one ride. So if anyone knows a reputable engine builder, that's good to work with, let me know

IMSROLL450R
02-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Wow thats crazy. Not good if he wanna keeps customers. I know other companies and guys that would have NEVER acted like that.

400man
02-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I have their linkage on my 400ex, but I have never called or dealt with GT Thunder myself, im running just the stock shock with mine, I only weigh about 150lbs so it is at least tolerable. mine does bottom out fairly easy though, but I havent really hurt anything on my bike because of it yet.

moshachusetts
02-27-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm gonna try putting the stock spring back on and see what that does for me. Got plenty of time to do that tho, spring won't be here for a while.

Longdong
02-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I will be getting my shock back this week. I will let you know how mine is. I have the gt link on a jet suspension revavle rear shock. It sounds like they might need revavled again with the spring.

moshachusetts
02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
It definetly doesn't need to be revalved again, its been like this since day one and I've only ridden the bike 5 or 6 times

moshachusetts
02-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Longdong
I will be getting my shock back this week. I will let you know how mine is. I have the gt link on a jet suspension revavle rear shock. It sounds like they might need revavled again with the spring.

Whoops! Maybe I misunderstood you, they were supposed to revalve it when they put the correct spring on

426kidz
02-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I had my HD studs put in by them....they wore ok when i talked too them but sounds like they are pushing people away more than anything!

BenHonda400ex
02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by moshachusetts
Whoops! Maybe I misunderstood you, they were supposed to revalve it when they put the correct spring on Not trying to bother you but how do you like the Fox Floats? I've never heard anyone with Fox Floats on a Honda 400ex

moshachusetts
02-27-2011, 02:35 PM
I like the floats, they're nice but they are the cheaper non resivoir type and don't have a rebound adjustment. They are nothing like the dual resivior ones that I have on my yfz, these are the type you see on most bikes. And I'm not even sure if they make these type for the 400ex. I know that after I bought the ones for my 400 that they came out with non reservoir ones that had rebound adjustment, would have been nice to have that adjustment. Otherwise, I don't think they're anything special unless you get the more expensive ones like are on my yfz, those are worth every penny

Longdong
02-27-2011, 03:14 PM
How much sag is the shock setup for?

moshachusetts
02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Longdong
How much sag is the shock setup for?

not positive right now,but i believe around 4 or 5 inchs which i believe is right where it should be

j-tech
02-27-2011, 04:44 PM
If your still having problems with the shock set up and linkage get a hold of Andy with **** tech. I bought my gt linkage from him and had shock resprung and revalved by him. The guy was great on the phone and talked me thru the whole set up and adjustments on the quad. Attached is his web address.

http://www.****techatv.com/home.php

dustin_j
02-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree with j-tech. Andy's service is great! His last name gets starred out on this website, it's M@ul, with a instead of @.

Your stock spring will be too soft with the GTT link. Laz's links and work is good, but I've heard he's very busy. Make sure you follow everything on his website to make sure it's setup correctly. Make sure you check sag, the range of 4-5 inches sag makes a big difference on how the shock will perform, make sure you know where you're at and set it to 4 if you still have trouble bottoming. Do you know what rate spring is coming back on your shock? Also, what tires are you running? Are they a true 20" rear tire?

moshachusetts
02-28-2011, 08:17 AM
I'll have to give this guy a call and see if he can help. Another reason I don't bother calling back again other than the way I was treated, is that I had the shock done at the end of 2009 season and I didn't ride at all last season due to a back injury.

dustin_j
03-01-2011, 06:56 AM
I just noticed you have a longer swingarm than stock. Did you mention this to GT Thunder, and make sure you tell Andy this as well. Andy will get it figured out for you.

moshachusetts
03-19-2011, 05:02 AM
whats anybodies thoughts about switching to an mx linkage? since they're made for 18" tires and i'm running 20" tires, would that help bottoming out? and are there any draw backs?

if stiffmess is the only thing, i'm fine with that as i prefer a stiffer rear end than what i have now

Zeb400EX
03-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I just got mine rear shock resprung/revalved with a gt thunder xc link by jet suspension and it works great! Nick at jet is awesome to deal with. He was really busy and he still took the time to help figure out I needed to do to my shock. Laz's stuff is top rate though. I got gtt a-arms too and the quality is awesome for the price. He's is a little weird to talk to on the phone though. I would still recommend jet though.

400man
03-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Zeb400EX
I just got mine rear shock resprung/revalved with a gt thunder xc link by jet suspension and it works great! Nick at jet is awesome to deal with. He was really busy and he still took the time to help figure out I needed to do to my shock. Laz's stuff is top rate though. I got gtt a-arms too and the quality is awesome for the price. He's is a little weird to talk to on the phone though. I would still recommend jet though.

got a question....does JET have their own linkage design or anything or are the just kinda "partners" with gt thunder and using their linkage? cause I already got the GT thunder xc linkage and sooner or later im gonna need to send my shock off and have it rebuilt/revalved.

CJM
03-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Im not sure the exact answer, what I do know is jet uses the GT linkage and reworks the shock like GT does.

Partners, I doubt it.

Zeb400EX
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Jet just redid my shock to fit the gt thunder link. I already had the link.