PDA

View Full Version : Hare Scramble(Twist throttle or thumb)

THR36
02-27-2011, 06:36 AM
what do you guys think?

DnB_racing
02-27-2011, 10:09 AM
it really depends on what your used to, if you have been using a thumb for years, you might not like the twist , if you ride dirt bikes with the twist then that's what you will be more comfortable with.

I used to ride dirt bikes all the time, and then I went to quads with the thumb, I tried to change back last year to a twist, and I just felt off balance in the air, and with the front end in the air with the twist, I guess I got used to the thumb throttle!!

with the quads you have to put more weight on the bars at times for better handling, and the twist seamed to make that harder at times, especially tight turns when your off camber, you really need to put your weight down,and the thumb had better control for me!!

THR36
02-27-2011, 01:18 PM
ya thats true. what do you think about arm pump between the two? you think twist would cause more problems?

DnB_racing
02-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I dint ride with the twist long enough to really get arm pump,

but I really dont get bothered by arm pump that much

if you take any supplements that have vascilators in them (NOX EXPLODE) make sure you stop taking about 3 days before a hard ride or race,

when I workout and train I take creatine remidex and a nox product and almost to much water...

and when I exercise my muscles burn so much,that I can barely move, but before a race or planed hard ride I only take a multi vitamin and creatine and plenty of water,
and I haven't been bothered by arm pump, make sure the night before have a good big supper lots of protein and carbs, and make sure you do wrist stretching and exercises, have some oatmeal and bananas and juice for breakfast

you only get out what you put in to it no substitute for proper training and plenty of seat time on hard twisting rough terrain

THR36
02-27-2011, 02:35 PM
ya i was taking jacked3d. and i heard that stuff will cause arm pump during races. i race hare scrambles so im just trying to figure out what the best thing is to do. i stopped taking jacked the past 2 weeks cause i was afriad of what may happen with raicng season coming up.

-TheDude-
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by THR36
ya i was taking jacked3d. and i heard that stuff will cause arm pump during races. i race hare scrambles so im just trying to figure out what the best thing is to do. i stopped taking jacked the past 2 weeks cause i was afriad of what may happen with raicng season coming up.
in theory jacked wont cause arm pump, its designed as a NO booster which opens your blood vessels and boost nitric oxide levels, it adds caffeine in your system and makes your body push and want to push longer.... alot of people take ib profen to thin out their blood and slow down arm pump..... another good trick if your running thumb throttle. get a 400ex throttle body with a trx90 thumb lever and thats a good combo

Smoker
02-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I ride and race XC with a twist. You have to be used to it and there are certain situations where a thumb throttle would be nice but when you get used to the twist, you won't notice it. It's less tiring because you have your whole hand on the grip through rough stuff. You get used to the control part, the learning curve is not to goose it when you land from stuff, which you get over. I tend be more relaxed (especially standing) with a twistie but I've been using one for years. The only way to know is try it out and see if you like it, and that's not one ride because it's likely to scare you once or twice before you learn how to use.

838xcracer
02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Stick with the thumb for the woods. Believe me for the woods they are way better. We race XC. And for the arm pump forget all the junk in stores and save your money. Best thing for arm pump is bannanas! And plenty of water, stay away from any kind of sugars. Pop which has alot of sugar kills the air in your blood which causes arm pump. Also eat alot of pasta the night before a race. And Pasta salad and 2 ban's and water,l hour before.

THR36
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
well i used a twist 3 races last year. but im thinking this year imay go back to the thumb. to help reduce some arm pump..cause i feel like i can release my grip a little and still work the thumb a little

Smoker
03-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I've never had arm pump issues with a twistie, but I'm used to it. It all boils down to preference and you never know unless you try.

fastredrider44
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
My preference is thumb on a quad and twist on a bike. It makes life easy. I have tried it the other way around on both, but that's still what i prefer. And they're right, it all is preference. I can get arm pump with thumb or twist. lol

scotturban
03-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Everything I ride with a twist throttle I crash